Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by microscopes, Sep 11, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wonder if Woody didn't fuck around and tamper, would Revis still be here? I wonder how much that signing was Mac / Bowles or Woody Johnson?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah... Upon further review, just cut him after this year and eat the cash.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

so you're asking us to choose our poison then?

4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if he cant play up without getting beat deep, then you put a deep safety over the top. of course its a coaching issue. thats who determines the schemes and coverages. you need to put your guys in position to succeed, even if it means they need help.

playing off wasnt working. single coverage wasnt working. it was a failure to adjust. Revis is losing/lost a step. it happens. doesnt mean you can coach to cover those issues

5. microscopes

microscopes Member

If healthy, Sammy Watkins is going to beat Revis like a drum.

But word is that Sammy's foot injury has been aggravated.

6. microscopes

microscopes Member

I contend that Revis isn't good anymore.

Not just "not worth $16 mil good".

I mean, not good period.

Barely average against good WR's.

12 targets, 12 receptions, 150 yards and a TD.

^^^ That stat line gets most CB's benched.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

People are funny. Last year it was clear that Revis was slipping, but if this was pointed out, the majority of posters (angrily!) defended him like he was their big brother.

Now he struggles against AJ Green and people want to bury him in a shoe box next to the hamster.

zace likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets are stuck with Revis for the remainder of this season. They have to figure out a way to make him as effective as they can. He may be our fastest CB. If so, we may be screwed. It seems to me that Bowles has three choices. One, he can continue to play man coverage, leave Revis as the #1 CB, but always give him deep Safety help. Two, he can continue to play man coverage, but move Revis to the #2 spot and hope that Williams and a safety, Skrine and a safety or Burris and a safety can get the job done. Three, play a lot more zone coverage in the secondary and eschew man coverage.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Revis was awful, but I am also worried about Gilchrist. Not mad about the Jeremy Hill touchdown, but the facemask and his inability to play centerfielder yesterday was an issue too.

10. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

From Rotoworld,

According to NFL Research, Andy Dalton was a perfect 10-for-10 for 152 yards and a touchdown when targeting A.J. Green against Darrelle Revis Week 1. Pro Football Focus only credits Green with eight catches against Revis, but either way, it was a terrible showing for the future Hall of Famer.

11. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I never understood all this love for Revis. I never liked him even when he was at his best. The guy was never a team player, period. This is obviously is a business and making as much $$$ as possible is the main goal, but Mevis Revis took it to a totally different level.

12. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I highly doubt that. What exactly makes him a HOF? He had a few good seasons but 28 INTs in 9 seasons is not exactly HOF stats.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Revis was at his best jamming receivers into oblivion and never letting them get timing with their QBs. Now he stands 10 yards off them and watches them run their routes, and tries to jump them unsuccessfully. He's not fast enough to do it.

It was the same thing last season but I let him make me believe that it was the wrist that kept him from jamming. He just doesn't want to do it anymore.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Or is it that he's instructed to play this way? Either way it's fucking gay.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I doubt it, but I'm sure we'll find out either way once he starts routinely giving up huge receptions to every premier receiver he faces this season.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think he's being instructed to do it. Simply because I believe if that was the case, with all this talk about him declining, a self promoter like Revis would be quick to tell everyone he is being asked to play that way.

remember when he was here his first go 'round and Ted Ginn got lucky and beat him deep? he had no problems throwing his coaching staff and safeties under the bus.... he'd be doing the same if he could.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Put revis on their #2 and and double team the 1. It's the easiest solution. 1 on 1 he can't do it with most #1's anymore. Most effective revis is used to lock up the #2.

Dierking likes this.
  18. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Let's just hope he isn't giving as much cushion to the receivers like he was doing week 17. I remember when we used to press coverage every play.

19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Ed Reed was never fast but was still one of the top free safeties to ever play the game. I think Revis would be solid as a free safety due to his play making ability.