Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is Revis' agent negotiating to get him paid as the best defensive player in football, which his coach has been screaming from a mountain top that he is. He's not going to get 20 million, but what he should get is a huge contract for being one of the best defensive players in football. Revis isn't being greedy, he's being smart by having his agent try and get him a big deal that he deserves.

If the agent doesn't budge from that figure, then he's a rtard, but in all likelihood it's just a starting point for negotiations.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Oh I bet you he'd find something to do with it :p

I remember posting an interview a lot of time ago where Revis said his number one goal was making lots of $$$ thanks to football.

Hey from my point of view you can have any motivation you want along as you succeed (and Revis is clearly a model professional in his job) but with that mind-set don't expect him to sign "cheaply" (where cheaply is under 14 mill which isn't cheap at all).

3. nastynice

nastynice New Member

He's not greedy for asking for that much money....without him the jets wouldn't have even beat the chargers. By beating the chargers, the Jets organization probably made over $20mill, through ads, sales, marketing...all that good stuff. He brings the owners well more than $20mill a year by his play on the field, can't he ask for some of that?

4. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

hes worth 12-13 per year with the biggest bonus/most guaranteed ever for a defensive player ... after all, he is still under contract for the next three years

5. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Maybe Woody will give him 20 mil a year and Rev. Revis will turn around and buy us all parking passes for 2010...

6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

and is this even possible with the 30% rule?

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Willis contract proved you can get creative with the signing bonuses... problem is that way you loose the freedom of deciding when he has big contract years.

8. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

It's just business.

He starts high,

Jets start low,

and they will meet in the middle somewhere.

Relax.

9. nastynice

nastynice New Member

whats the 30% rule?

10. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

There's no fking way that JETs will pay him that much amount of money. You've got to see what happens this year if he is still as good as last year, then pay him!

11. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

No way he gets that kind of money.

Peyton Manning is the best player in football, and his contract was for 7 years $99.2 million with 34.5 guaranteed back in 2004

Factor in some inflation and 7 years $120 million sounds about right.

12. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Basically it says that you can't sign a player to an extension and have him make 30% more than the previous year's base salary

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

.........And this is what ruins pro sports.

14. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

He,and no one else deserve shit until they honor the contract already in place.

15. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

He's worth it but 20 mil dedicated to one player means someone else won't get paid.

16. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

What decade do we live in? The 70s or 80s? Find me a sport that doesn't cost at least $100 to attend, including everything, like the gas, the beverages, the food, etc. etc. I don't know if you go to any Jets games, but I have partials, I go to at least 4 or 5 games a year, went to New Orleans to see them play on the road, football and hockey are 2 sports I GLADLY pay the money to see. Even though, admittedly, it's a bitch to get to the Meadowlands.
    You know what? You watch on TV and you get multiple replays, comfortable seats and the weather doesn't matter. Not to mention, mostly, you don't have to deal with any drunken idiots when you're home. Saying all that: I'd still rather go and see it live, and no matter the weather, I'm usually there at the very least 4 hours early. Nothing beats it.
    Saying all that, Revis ain't going to get $20 million, but don't be surprised if he makes $15 million plus per year. It's called sports and that's what these guys get paid. It's not our reality, of course, but somebody in the NFL is going to pay him. It should be us.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is a reasonable attitude to take in any sport other than professional football, where teams have the right to abrogate a contract with a player after every season (which is of course why the signing bonus is vastly more important than the annual pay).

Getting worked up over this at this point seems pretty ridiculous to me anyway. The Jets have him under contract for three years, and after that they can franchise him. If there is a salary cap in the future he will never make $20 million a year, but that certainly doesn't prevent him from asking for it.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Under a cap no player is worth the kind of money Revis is asking. In a no cap situation the Jets would be insane not to pay him what it takes to keep him.

Would it be a disaster if the Jet's CB's after 2011 were Cromartie and Kyle Wilson? Probably not. But you keep Revis if it can be justified under the system.

19. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

He's got two years, if he's a key part of winning the Jets a championship over that span then I'd give him whatever it is he wants.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I pray to God for the return of salary cap. If it doesn't, then you'll see the salary of these 'marquee players' skyrocket out of the solar system. Don't want to believe what I say? Watch how the top players in premier league make a year. They bag a good 150k pounds per week. That's good 200+k USD (close to 225k) Multiply that by 52 and you get over 10M salary right there. It's not even like a team features but a handful of these - some feature 3, some 4 to 5 out of the starting 11. Insane? You bet.

It's a good thing that teams don't have to remunerate the other team when they trade for a player in the NFL. When Real Madrid acquired Cristiano Ronaldo from Man. U. they paid 90M euro - that's well over 100M USD, my friends - just to get to talk to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the cap returns (and I sincerely hope so) then 20M would be too much for a CB. If it doesn't... then pray to God NFL does not turn into EPL or MLB. I'd guess it will though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.