Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

You do that, and I hope you enjoy not ever winning a SB with him as an owner.

2. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Simple question, Did he provide the resources to build a team?

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

HAHA, look at the Steelers with Woodson, Greene, Wallace, Lloyd, Foster ect...many other teams as well. A good organization knows when to move on. This is the time to move on with DR. I actually like this direction. It's a business and what has Revis done for this organization to get them a championship? Sorry bud but thats life!

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

New cliffhanger is "One reports says deal on the table"

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, we'll see. They are going to defer to Mike T to discuss it so I don't have any faith in it.

I think it's just a way to keep attention bc they have nothing.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That cliffhanger is probably just the report from last night recycled to get them hits.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I really hope we do a deal with Philly that includes Foles.

8. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I usually don't care what Madden has to say, but I found this interesting:

A ‘high-ranking’ team source said the San Francisco 49ers have very little interest in New York Jets All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, ‘.001 on a scale of 1-10′ to be exact. “That usually means there’s some interest,” John Madden told the KCBS Radio morning crew.

“When you go that deep to say how little interest you have, that means you have interest.”

9. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Are you serious? Say what you want about our cap situation and the fact that this move may or may not be a necessity...but this is a joke. Do you watch Jets playoff games? Just because they didn't actually go all the way does not mean he did nothing to help them get a championship, did Russell Wilson do nothing to help the Seahawks last season?...Revis has been utterly dominant in the Jets playoff games of the past few years and made a number of game changing plays. None of the success of 09-10 would have occurred w out him.

Again, I'm done arguing that we should keep him (though I still believe it wholeheartedly), just wanted to point out that this type of argument is absurd in my opinion.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That is actually a very good way to look at it. All the great franchises Pats and 49ers included knew when to move on. They always knew when to offload a player despite what the fans might think. I'm not even begining to say that this move approaches the idea of us becoming a great franchise as there is much more that goes into it than dumping guys but if there was ever a time to trade Revis this is it.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

except they never let go of elite players in their prime, NE lets go of guys on the downside of their careers, Pitt the same thing.

12. RochesterJet

Sorry Bud but holding the VLB trophy is the only thing I care about. It is nice to make the playoffs and be on national TV and all, but I want rings. Revis and his demands (they are just that, demands) can rot in TB for all I care as he has not helped us win a championship.

and you're comparison to Russell Wilson is "absurd".

13. RochesterJet

True. For all we know DR could be past his prime much the way Rod Woodson was after his knee. Fact is, we dont know. If we want to wait around and find out it will cost the organization deerly.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't like the idea of trading away our best player but sadly this team is a former shell of what it was in Rex's 1st two seasons. I watched those playoff games and he was a great player for us. The issue is we are not a playoff team. To be honest we suck and we need to begin to rebuild and not by overpaying for mediocre talent like Bart Scott and Calvin. Through the draft. How did Baltimore and SF get to the SB? Throug years of good drafts, the Pats ... through years of good drafting although now that they seem to be going the FA route they aren't winning SB's. The only way we are going to win and win consistently is through the draft. I want Revis to be a Jet for life but we aren't going to win a SB this year or next and his contract demands and history make it extremely likely he'll walk away without us getting anything.

15. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Really...how many rings did Russell Wilson win last year...what has he done to win championships for Seattle?

IMO you just can't look at things in a vacuum like that, Revis did all someone at his position could, and w even marginal talent around him the result may have been different. No players wins championships on his own, at least not in football.

16. RochesterJet

Russell Wilson is not comming off injury, has not held out for more money twice, and he plays QB for Christ sake! I was saying it's "absurd" to even compare the two, something you did good sir.

Hey, you are obviously emotional (much like Big Blocker) on the Revis subject. Personally, neither of you would or should be in the business world as EMOTION taints logic. We need and will move in a new direction to help the TEAM win a championship.

Look at the Ravens last year, what dominate top 3 player's at their respectieve positions did they have (maybe Ngata and Ray Rice). They were in fact were the best TEAM, not group of individuals. If you like that, just watch the NBA...

17. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Revis did awesome to lead us to the playoffs the last 2 yrs...oops I forgot. Revis is responsible for 1 person and 1 person only. Does he do a great job? Of course, no one can argue it. Is it worth 16M? (or even 12-14M) per year, apparently many NFL experts agree the CB position is not as important to what the Jets needs are. And I agree.

Maybe that marginal talent you refer to can turn into above par talent with the other positions of need with that 16M we won't be paying to 1 player who covers 1 player.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If Revis came in at 12 a year, I pay it to him.he simply is the best CB in football. At the 14 to 16 he will want? No way. You simply limit yourself too much against the cap with that type of deal for a corner.

19. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Listen, I'm not arguing whether or not the Jets should move on, or that Revis' demands are justified, or that Revis' future (given his injury) is as bright as Wilson's...I thought I made that clear. All I'm arguing is that saying the jets should move on because Revis has done nothing to help them win championships is a poor argument, and frankly untrue.

The other parts you inferred about my beliefs, though for the most part correct, are not what I was debating. Hopefully this time I've conveyed my thoughts better.

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we won't know what Revis wants until our guys talk with his, which probably won't happen.

it's frustrating when we have a once in a generation type of player and our FO won't sit down with his agents to negotiate.