Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This isn't raw numbers. This is efficiency. That's what Football Outsiders looks at.

The Jets were more efficient at covering the #2 WR last year than the average NFL team. If they hadn't been more efficient then there would have been more attempts against them to exploit that weakness.

I watched Wilson last year and I saw him struggle now and then. The numbers say the struggles didn't turn into a big impact though. One of the things about being a CB is that you can get beat deep and it does not matter if the throw is off. It does not matter if the QB got sacked or was under so much pressure that he couldn't find the guy that beat you. It doesn't matter if his first read was underneath and he took it.

And BTW, when you get similar numbers year after year in terms of efficiency it is fairly safe to throw sample size out the window at that point. If completion percentage is between 51% and 54% every year then the fact that 100 passes less were thrown in a given year doesn't mean all that much in the big picture.

2. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Again the last 15 years has proven without fail there are two ways to win a SB:

A dominating QB, or an all time great defense.

Trading Revis weakens the defense, and doesn't help you land a dominating QB. If we wanted depth, trade lesser guys for mid round picks who can become depth. Weakening your greatest strength so we can add a few depth guys at other non critical positions accomplishes absolutely nothing.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

any time offenses needed to move the ball against us they did, that means more to me than this data.

4. nyjunc

The '07 and '11 Giants didn't have either though teir D did step up and play like a great defense in January. The '12 Ravens didn't have either though their QB stepped up in January. I wouldn't even say the '05 Steeler shad that as Ben wasn't quite a top QB yet and their D wasn't an all time great D- same thing for NE '01, Brady wasn't great yet and their D wasn't great at all.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Id trade a 2013 13th pick for another late first and a first next year.

Yeah I said it, get it done!

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Did you think we were going to the superbowl this year if we had Revis?

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

:lol: My compliments.

Cromartie was starting with Revis, so he's definitely not replacing him.

Replacing Revis comes from who stands to see more snaps with Revis gone (compared to if Revis had been here). I don't think Cromartie is seeing increased snaps.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's a huge assumption to say he didn't negotiate that deal with the Bucs..

All things considered, I'm willing to bet he asked for some guaranteed money - they probably met in the middle. ie. more money per year, 16M, and no guarantee. That's how negotiations work.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jets weren't going to the Superbowl this year, Revis or not. But does that mean they should just get rid of people?What exactly are you trying to prove?

You could say the same about anyone else on the roster, but they aren't trading them.

Tampa isn't going to the SB either, but they sure as hell jumped on the opportunity to nab a great defensive player.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Tampa has a lot better chance than the Jets with or without Revis.

The point is that under no circumstances should the Jets have paid $16 million/year for a cornerback. His agents communicated that was their expectation so they traded him and moved on.

I wish they could have got more on that trade, and think they should have, but that's another story.

11. nyjunc

it's not just about this year, it's about the future. we draft to maybe be lucky enough to find a talent like revis, he's a once in a generation type of player and we could have rebuilt around him.

I get why we traded him, I just wish we got more back in return. It would have taken some of the sting away of losing a player like that.

12. nyjunc

I don't know which was worse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

except you are dismissing the possibility of the player that is drafted being an impact player at a key position, not just a depth player, so the hole that is created by Revis' departure does not actually exist as of now. it may exist if the draft choice is a bust, but as of right now that has no occurred, so you are either being dishonest by asserting such or such an emotional wreck that you jump to that conclusion despite nothing to validate it.

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Actually, I think you're making a huge assumption. Here's how I picture it breaking down.

Revis - I am the best defensive player in the league & therefore should be the highest paid defensive player in the league.

Bucs - 16M is a lot of $$. No way we agree to that. How about 12M per season. It makes you one of the the highest paid CB in the entire league.

Revis - no way. If I was content to be one of the highest paid CB in the league, I would've taken what the Jets offered. I DEMAND 16M per. I'll take it even if you don't guarantee it.

==========
    Bucs are happy because they believe they can simply cut Revis whenever they want. They also have the cap space to dish out 16M with ease.

Revis is happy because Bucs just surrendered pick #13. It guarantees him at least 2 seasons with the Bucs. In the meantime, other top CB (who aren't as good as Revis) will collect 10-12M per season via FA. After a couple of healthy seasons as the best CB in the league, Revis holds out & demands 15-16M guaranteed for the next 2-3 years.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez who wears 24 on TB.....

16. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

lol at nyjunc mad about Revis leaving but still wanting Saint Chez to be on the team. Unbelievable.

17. JetNotts

JetNotts Member

Mark Barron.

18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I keep seeing this, and I don't see how this is anywhere close to guarantee.

I definitely see the trading of the 13th overall pick as a strong incentive to keep him, or an indication that they have strong intentions to keep him, but his play this year is going to be the lion's share of what him being kept next year is based on for TB.

What if he's just "very good"? I think he'd be guaranteed the deal to last at least two years if he had signed for $10-$12 million AAV, but when the contract is already paying him legendarily, then he becomes a significant roster problem if he's giving anything less than legendary production.

$6-$8 million can get you a very good CB in FA. If that's the type of return the Bucs see this year, then I think there is a very real possibility that TB opts out of this deal before next season.

For the record, I'm not saying that I think this will happen (Revis not making it all the way back), I'm just saying that the possibility definitely exists and isn't insignificant.

19. Marvin49

Marvin49 New Member

Hey guys. I was here awhile back when the Niners were considered a possible trade partner and argued the Jets wouldn't get a high pick from the Niners for him.

Well I was right that it didn't come from the Niners. ;-) Gratz on the trade. #13 is far more than I thought the Jets would get (not a slam on Revis...I just thought the situation would hurt his value).

Anyway...just wanted to say gratz. ;-)

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We can debate this forever, it really boils down to how we use those picks.
    PERIOD