Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

We made the team worse, we did not create a hole at CB. There's a difference. And Wilson isn't replacing Revis. Did you forgot about Antonio Cromartie? That CB trio of Cro, Wilson, Trufant is still good. It's not great, but it's not OMG fill this hole.

Creating a hole would be I don't know trading Cro and Revis, or releasing all our LB. CB is actually one of the deeper positions on the Jets and we don't have a hole there. We are weaker, but no hole.

This is a good article explaining why we did it: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9197639/darrelle-revis-new-york-jets-share-blame-split

The problems occurred pre Idzik. You don't pay a CB QB money when you don't have a QB, RB, OLB, and S. You can overpay for a CB when you think you have competitive SB team. Do you think the Jets had that before Revis? If you did that's crazy.

2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

so what exactly are you saying? Basically stomping you're feet in the "time out" corner after you were caught doing something wrong. Grow up, its a business.

Revis was not goiong to resign with the Jets for anything less than 16 per year, Woody knew it, Tanny knew it, Rex knew it, I knew it, TB, knew it, and Idzik knew it. The Jets were not in any position to demand more compensation, not even a 5th. I would love to see how some of you rose colored Revis lovers would have reacted if he would have stayed and bolted next year...Probably the same as you are all SOJ fans

#3502 RochesterJet, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. displacedfan

He was a goner and get nothing back. Potentially signing in Miami let's say. Oh god it would be terrible. The Jets made the best out of a bad situation they partially created.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Tanny is the biggest reason Jets were stuck playing poker with a shit hand this offseason. His band-aid contract left the Jets exposed and it was up to the next GM to find a real solution.

5. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Wait so we became worse but didn't create a hole? Kyle Wilson is not a starting CB in this league. He's ABYSMAL. He's a body, so yes TECHNICALLY we didn't create a hole bc we will in fact be playing 11 men on defense.

But you just traded a guy that basically is the cornerstone of an entire defensive system and replaced him with one of the NFL's worst players. But hey, we'll have some 2nd rounders now to round out our perennial sub 10 win team, let's pop the champagne.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

lol i know everfyones cheering , we just traded our best player an the best Jet since Namath hip hip hooray!!now what Kylewilson burned 90 yards for a td tthats what

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I would love to hear what those complaining about the trade would have done differently....

8. GoldenShowers

If they wanted to save money, get middling draft picks, and still field a great defense they should traded Cromartie. This was not a football move. This was a Prince Woody showing who's boss move and the team is significantly worse as a result.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

-Why not just sign Revis to another band-aid contract?
    -Why not let some of the other more crippling contracts go and fix your band-aid contract to Revis?

Tannenbaum made his fair share of mistakes with contracts (Sanchez, Holmes, Scott, Pace,etc) but Revis' wasn't. He had the best corner in the game, and possibly the best defensive player in the game on the roster for 6/mil per in 2013/2014. Band-aid or not, I'll take that anyday of the week, great value.

Tannenbaum screwed Idzik with crippling contracts from some of the other players, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have made it work with Revis. He CHOSE to trade him and not patch things up /make it work one way or another.

This one is on Idzik, for better or worse.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

You have to get your head around the fact that we were spoiled at CB with Revis and Cromartie. Cro is a #1 on most teams in the league, Wilson and Trufant aren't great but they are #2 CBs on most teams in the NFL.

As has been pointed out: our defense wasn't the problem last year even though we didn't have Revis and were using Wilson/Trufant, so how do you account for this if they are just "bodies" taking up a spot?

Hell, not only is defense not our biggest need CB isn't even our biggest need on defense: OLB, DE (pass rushers, preferably) and S all come before CB for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love Revis and think we're going to miss him lots and I'm not happy with our compensation for him...but at least be realistic when you analyze the roster.

11. displacedfan

Again, Antonio Cromartie? Guess what Revis was leaving next year. Same exact problem, except we get nothing for him leaving! Is that better?

There is no hole. We don't need to get another corner. Most teams don't field two top 10 corners. Most teams don't field a top 10 corner. The Jets are fine at CB. There are many other holes that need to be addressed before CB is even though about.

Cromartie, Wilson, Trufant is good enough especially if we pick up a pass rusher. Go look at other teams around the league and look at their corners. We are top 15 maybe even top 10 cornerback trio in the league AFTER letting Revis go.

On the other hand we have a bottom 5 QB, no RB, no TE, no S, and no OLB. Tell me where the holes are. It's clearly not CB. There is a difference between getting weaker and creating a hole. If Peyton Manning stepped away from the Broncos and they got Eli Maning, they would get wrose, but there would be no hole at QB. Same idea here. We got worse, but no hole unless we go and trade Cromartie.

12. displacedfan

They have turned on madden, set the trade logic to 0, turn off the salary cap then signed revis to 100 million dollars, traded a 7th round pick for Aaron Rodgers, then yell at Idzik for not being able to do this in real life.

Cro is a 1 on probably 25 teams in the league. Probably 1b on 4-5 of those 25. Wilson is probably #2 corner on 16-20 teams in the league. Not great, but not "OMG we need a replacement".

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Kyle Wilson is the league's worst corner? Baaaahahahahaaha. How on earth did we maintain our decent passing defense? Wilson actually improved substantially last season.

I don't like the trade. I feel we didn't get enough. Revis is worth a 1st and 2nd. I can't believe they let him go for just a first and conditional next year. That's weaksauce.

#3513 Barcs, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. GoldenShowers

I would have traded Cro, cut Tebow the first day of the offseason, and would have been working on a deal with Revis for the last two years.

Then in 2014 I would have allowed Holmes and Sanchez contracts expire, and we would be able to both afford a HOF all time great and field a competitive team around him with gobs of cap space.

I'd also have looked to move Harris. You build around your best players. You don't trade them for JAGs to pair with the leftover JAGs you have.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Only if you ignore the cap room we get to use next year to sign quality players going forward.

16. displacedfan

You wouldn't have had 2 years to talk with Revis coming in as Idzik though. You would have come into this mess with Revis having a band aid contract and Tanny already ignored the option to extend last year.

17. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Cromartie replaced Revis, not Kyle Wilson. Did Kyle Wilson really look like the best CB on the team last year?

Kyle Wilson replaces Cro as the #2 CB.

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Why would Revis sign a Band-Aid contract when his agent pulled off 16M per over @ Tampa Bay? You can't just make up whatever contract you feel like & expect Revis to sign it.

Revis demands 16M per year. That's it. There is nothing else you can offer. He wants it so bad that he'll take it with zero guarantee. Because of Tanny's foolishness, the Jets had zero leverage. They couldn't franchise Revis & he's going straight to unrestricted free agency. Idzik had no leverage when dealing with the Bucs & no leverage when dealing with Revis agents.

19. displacedfan

Yeah I said that twice. Kyle is an average #2 corner. And Cro is an above average #1.

Instead of having #1 best CB and #2 being best #2, we go from elite to above average. There is no hole still where we must draft a CB. That combo can get it done. CBs get burnt all the time, we were spoiled watching Revis and Cro work. But then we saw the flip side of our LB and S not being able to cover a TE or RB in the open the field.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

People still dont get it, we couldnt resign him at the end of the year. Period, we were losing him. So we could either do what the Cavaliers did with Lebron and hold on to their star and try to win it all, or trade em and set us up for the future. We made the right choice, we werent winning it all next season with or without Revis.

Now we have freed up a TON of money, I mean now we dont have to spend 16 million on Revis. Now we can sign a star WR or RB or anything with that 16 million, and ontop of that we get a first round draft pick that will play with this team for 4 seasons on a very low pay.