Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

02/19/2013

Jets Release LB Bart Scott

02/19/2013

Jets Waive TE Josh Baker

02/19/2013

Jets Release T Jason Smith

02/19/2013

Jets Release S Eric Smith

02/19/2013

Jets Release LB Calvin Pace

Shonn Greene is signing with the Titans
    Revis will be traded.
    Keller will sign some where else.
    Tebow will be cut.

Sarcasm fail asshole.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

thinking we'll get white smoke by friday with revis. geez who thought revis, greene, keller, pouha, and devito would be gone before tebow.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

seriously though if TB is the team i have a hard time thinking they would give there #1 this year. if so, i think its the best possible draft compensation under the circumstances.

if that occurs the balanced thing to do would be to keep one of those picks and parlay the other into an extra choice in rd 2, if possible.

5. Marvin49

Marvin49 New Member

I kinda think that's whats not only holding the trade up, but the entire CB market.

Once a trade for Revis takes place or a few of the Free Agent CBs sign then suddenly everything will be on fast-forward.

If you see Sean Smith sign somewhere...particularly TB or SF...then everything will come into focus quickly.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I like to think of it as replacing crappy players with young players & upside. Cept for Revis.

You knew those players were going to get cut.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I agree on the hold up. Everybody else is waiting to see what Revis gets as the ceiling on the next contract. If he gets $12M then all the CB's on the market this year are going to slot well below that, like in the $10M a year range at the top. If he get $15M though then somebody like Sean Smith might get lucky and score $12M. Not likely but very possible.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Scott Barely played over 55% of the snaps last eyar and was very limited when he played. It was time for this.

Josh Baker is part of Gutting a team? I thought you had to be on the team for that to be true?

The Smith Brothers are part of gutting a team? Over paid back-ups that were let walk is more like it.

Pace is the first decent player on that list we will miss, but lets face it, he never produced up to his FA contract and was average last year.

Keller and Green were good talents, Keller was worthy of beign a starter, Greene as part of a platoon. Both are replaceable parts, most likely through the draft.

If Revis is traded its a sign we are attempting to get more picks and manager the cap situation. It hurts the talent level of the team, but both Cro and wilson showed they can handle bigger roles last year.

Tebow will be cut? Oh noes! There goes 79 snaps of below average production. Again, this would be triming the fat, not guttign the team.

Many of these players were old and over paid. The contracts given out to them were the problem.

Its not like we are removing a ton of parts from a superbowl squad. We are replacing old, slow, over proced vets and over priced backups with cheaper younger players. In a cap based league this has to happen to every team.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

this is an excellent point. His downside is huge in that scenario. One more injury and his market value is a fraction of what it would be if he can first show he is most of the way back in camp from the acl surgery.

This is why the Jets, if they were smart enough to use it instead of being all emotional about it, have some leverage by virtue of holding the coming year of his contract. He can make the upfront money by renegotiating it now, getting more for this season, and NOT have to risk playing out his contract (whether with the Jets or elsewhere) and running that risk.

Of course in theory another team could trade for him now not knowing his health situation until later, and going into camp or around then entering into a contract extension with him. But that team would not be offering the Jets near as much now as they would if they knew later, s they might under this scenario, that he was near top form.

The Jets should sit, wait, and see what they can do in August.

10. Big Blocker

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I just spoke too soon. The only significant players that we have lost are Revis (if we lose him), Keller and Devito.

And yeah, we're rebuilding, so it makes sense but we're not getting rid of our best players for the most part (aside from Revis).

Please don't call me an asshole. Have some respect.

12. Big Blocker

Well, not to digress, I am always aware we don't know what is going on, at least not fully aware. But (and many here would say unfortunately so) a lot of info sure seems to leak out of Jetland. Some turns out to be bad info, but if you are implying the Jets have tried to talk to Revis about a new deal, I think there would have been some hint of that that would have come out by now. And of course it has not.

Most of the rest you would concede is speculation, with one exception being that I would agree all indications are that Woody whether sick or not does not want to deal with Revis and his agents. I think that is frankly a childish and weak position to take. "It's too much trouble! They aggravate me!" I mean come on.

Part of the history here includes the fact that past dealings between the parties involved Tanny. Tanny had a history, unfortunately, of having imo too many players say he was not up front with them, that he would not stand by his word. Look at the Pete Kendall situation, or how even with a much less important player like Slauson he got him to renegotiate his compesation downward, and into an arrangement where his playing time suffered just to give time to the worthless Ducasse. It sure seemed to me at the time Revis redid his contract the last time that there were plenty of indications that before then Tanny had made statements that led Revis to believe he would redo the contract then, only to have Tanny say he would not. In short I refuse to accept the conventional wisdom around here that ALL of the problems that led up to his last holdout were his fault. Add in that Tanny has since been fired for good reason, and I think Woody should have acknowledged Revis might have had a problem dealing with tanny.

At least they should have tired to come to a deal before trying to ship him out. It's a simple point, and if Woody is tired dealing with contrract issues, perhaps he should stay out of them or better yet sell the team. Whatever he does he should stop being a pussy.

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

You talk about having leverage but that's only going to decrease for the Jets. I'd agree if this was a normal contract situation. But that cap hit for 2014 if he signs with another team is huge.

14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Goldson just signed a contract with Tampa, so they may now focus on Revis. IMO

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, with the Cro restructure the Jets have at least $15.57M allocated to CB's on the 2014 cap in terms of dead money. This assuming that Revis leaves after June 1st and before the 2014 season.

I see the Cro restructure as putting really heavy pressure on the Jets to move Revis before June 1st. Even if the Jets negotiate an extension with Revis before next season there are issues with the dead money hit from the old contract.

16. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I can't imagine Woody paying the million dollar bonus on Sunday. Think the deal happens soon. 2 and a 5 this year, 3 next

17. Marvin49

Marvin49 New Member

I think the Niners would do that...particularly if there is a contract in place.

If there is a contract, good chance that 2 could be #34 overall.

That said, I think he's going to Tampa.

18. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

If welker signs with Broncos which shef is reporting may happen.......If I was revis and the broncos I would make something happen!

Broncos with or with out revis will be amazing this year if they land welker!

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Is it basically 100% guaranteed that he's going to be traded? My brain says yes but my heart still kind of hopes he stays a Jet. Damn.

20. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Cause we all saw Champ Bailey in that playoff game last year,dude just aint what he was.