Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I could see settling for a 2 this year with the right conditions on a future pick. For example a 2014 3 that escalates to a 2 next year if he plays at least 14 games & makes the ProBowl, orescalates to a 1 if he re-signs with the acquiring team.

Something to keep in mind is that the acquiring team will likely get some sort of compensatory pick if he doesn't re-sign with them. That helps the recoup some of their rental cost.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Who gives a shit at this point if the Jets keep Revis?

They gutted the team which will suck for 3 years. By the time the Jets are competitive again, Revis will be at the end of this deal coming up for him.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

If they can get 31/34 IMO that's a decent return under the circumstances. A good fit for this years draft as it is good quality from 20 thru 50

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

If I was SF I'd make the deal and let FA drive Salaries down...then try to lock him up.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We have no details of what a potential trade will involve but you're already convinced it's nothing??

6. Jets31

Jets31 Banned

Cant let Revis go for anything but a 1st round pick.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The question is when Revis value in a trade will be greatest.

Think of his value as broadly being represented by two factors:

First is what his play level is going to be for 2013 and moving forward. The better Revis can play the more he is worth. His past play has created significant value even in a vacuum at this point. He has established his playing ceiling and it is a very high ceiling. The question is where is the floor at this point and inside of that where is the floor for 2013 specifically?

Second is the contract that he will require to play for the team that acquires him for more than a single season in 2013. If his contract demands are very high then a team acquiring him has to either be able to justify that cost on their cap or accept the fact that he is a likely rental for just one season.

Now the information available on the first factor, Revis play value for 2013 and moving forward is going to become better and better as the spring and summer pass. So the later the Jets wait to trade Revis the more likely they can firmly fix his play value for a potential trade partner.

The second factor however works against them as time passes because the closer Revis gets to actually playing the more confident he will become that he is fully recovered and the harder it will be to deal with him before free agency looms after the season.

So for the Jets to get maximum value out of Revis they have to figure out what the sweet spot is in terms of making a deal and jump on what presents itself at that point.

If they go too early they may not receive full value out of the deal. Potential trade partners may not be willing to make a strong offer until they can fully ascertain Revis physical condition. Revis may not be willing to sign a contract with a trade partner if he perceives their offer as low-balling him based on his physical condition at the time of the trade. Either circumstance could prevent the Jets from getting full value out of a trade.

If they go too late they may not receive any value in a trade. Revis may be unwilling to sign a deal with any trade partner unless he perceives it as top of the market for what he would likely get in free agency. He may effectively force the Jets to make a rental deal at a low rate of return and they may choose just to play him instead.

It's a very tricky situation for the Jets to navigate if they want a solid return on a deal for Revis. It's a bit tricky for Revis also. If he gets hurt next season his chances at a huge deal with lots of guaranteed money probably go out the window at that point.

Both sides need to find the sweet spot. The Jets need it to get solid return on a trade and Revis needs it to get the best possible contract he can get before he takes his rehabbed knee into next season on the last year of his contract.

8. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

hey hobbes.. you know you could of got rid of the obama avatar after inauguration.

9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Revis is gone at the end of the season period. Especially after we whored him out in the trade dept. just trading him to a team we don't have to compete with on a regular basis for years would be beneficial to us even if it is for a low round first. He has been my favorite jet since Chrebet but I understand how the game works and I am willing to take whatever compensation to make sure my kids can still see the jets competitive.

10. Jets31

Jets31 Banned

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Darrelle Revis will be traded to the Bucs, but "details just need to be ironed out."
    Those "details" are likely a new contract for Revis. The Jets have in all likelihood agreed to the compensation they'll receive. If the report proves to be true, it's a huge boost to what proved to be a dreadful pass defense last season in Tampa Bay. One Bucs source told NFL Network's Ian Rapoport that a deal is not complete, and he didn't "know where it was headed."

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Losing Pouha and Devito is "gutting" this team?

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

i think it'll be shorter than that. 2013 looks like a mediocre one coming, but 2014 looks a bit brighter.

I mean for one we could get rid of sanchez!

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

TBH, you guys dont get it. Revis is gone after 2013, we arent resigning him, hes leaving. At this point ill take a 2nd round pick or even a 3rd.

We could roll the dice and keep him and try to win it all next season, but lets be honest, we arent winning the Super Bowl. Hell we wont be a .500 team. Imo lets trade him, get more picks, crash and burn in 2013, get a top 5 pick, and then return to respectability in 2014.

The only reason to keep Revis, is if you believe this team can make the playoffs. If you dont believe we can make the playoffs, then their is no benefit in keeping him around for one more year. Thats the bottom line.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm late for work and didn't have time to read through the whole thread....

But have you forgotten who we're dealing with??????? Revis? $Mevis?????

Whatever 'trade-contract' is offered to Revis coming off a torn ACL by his 'new team' he will figure he can get +++++20%-30% MOREMOREMORE by holding out...again.

I'll be shocked if Revis does anything other than:

Enter the 2013 season re-habbing on the Jet's dime, proving himself, then signing a mega-monster-mega-monster deal a few months later, either at the trading deadline (week 8) or UFA 2 months later.

If the Bucs offer Mevis $16M coming off a torn ACL, then some other team might offer him $20M after he's returned to form. Or so his thinking will go.

Edit: The ONLY way/reason Revis signs a new trade-contract now is if he doubts his ability to return to form.

#234 Footballgod214, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  15. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Yep, it must be March. All the Syracuse fans are getting a bit cranky.

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Just get rid of Revis please. Hes not a teamate, hes his own selfish self, his position fits him perfectly, he was always seperate from the rest of the squad.

17. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

the funny thing is, other than the money issues (which are huge mind you) i think he is a great teammate. His teammates never speak ill of him and he is a great leader by example on and off the field in all conduct other than contract holdouts - which while they are a cancer to the team are totally w/in his right. He is not a thug, criminal or otherwise bad in the community.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Teamates cant say much about him considering

A) He plays his position better than anyone else
    B) He has his own job seperate from the rest of the team.

19. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

Well probably get a 1st for him and pick someone who turns out like Gholston.

20. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

That is really my worst nightmare right there.