Revis. Sends chills....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

:beer::beer:

Thing is, your prior post came across as saying "yeah, ya got to pay the man as he's the best corner in the game and you MUST have a "shutdown corner" to win a Championship. Can see that this isn't what you meant to say, but that's how it came across.

All said, I think we are in complete agreement :)

2. Demosthenes9

Umm, while he might only get $6.5 mil in salary next year, he's actually being paid more than that for the season as his last contract was front loaded. Believe he got paid something like $25 mil last year, didn't he ?

#62 Demosthenes9, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  3. Demosthenes9

Fixed. BTW< I'm guessing that Revis would have been covering both Welker AND Gronk ?

BAH, is there a strike through code here ?

#63 Demosthenes9, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  4. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

There IS an edit button, you know.

That said, I really hope we're able to keep him, I don't want to have to change my username.

5. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

ANY receiver in the league says to Darelle Revis before every play,
    "Hey I just Met You, And This Is Crazy...
    you got my number, I just want one catch baby"

6. Demosthenes9

Yeha, I know there is an EDIT butto and I hit it a number of times and even tried the "preview post" button as well (after seeing that the "normal" didn't work.

As for Revis, I hope we keep him too. But I also hope he figures out that enough is enough, he signed the contract and he should play it out. It's not like it's a "first contract" where he is seriously outperforming what he has been paid.

7. Reece

Reece Banned

Neon Deion was ghastly!

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yes, if you look at the 3 year average it goes to 13 million, lower if you include the 4th year, but I doubt he doesn't get a new deal before then. I was talking in terms of salary cap, because his cap hit isn't that big for 2013. Giving him an additional 2 million or so a year isn't going to kill us. I say the limit should be 16 million max. If he wants more than it's not really worth it.

9. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

big props to MR. REVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Deion wasn't as good in coverage as Revis, but he was a much better play maker. He never followed the #1 guy around like Revis.

11. Demosthenes9

The cap hit is somewhat of an illusion as no matter what it is this year, Revis has already been paid. That's like if I agree to pay you $1000 per week for 4 weeks and then I front load it and give it all to you the first week. While there would be no "cap hit" in weeks 2,3, and 4, it's silly for anyone to argue that you would be working for free those weeks, or, that since cap room exists, I can and should go ahead and pay you more.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That was a really bad analogy and made no sense. Other than that it was a terrific post.

13. ajetsfan4ever

being ranked #5 overall and the best defensive player in the world by your peers is phenomenal!!!!!

say what you want about Revis but he is not a cancer, and he his without a doubt the leader of this defense.

14. ajetsfan4ever

I agree, but Deion could make up any ground with his speed.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

In a way, pointing to the last 15 Superbowls as examples of why you don't need a player like Revis to win it all is kinda misleading simply because for the last 15 years there HASN'T BEEN a players like Revis even in the SB.

IF the Jets under Rex Ryan somehow pull it off, then every team in the NFL will be saying "We need to get us a Revis to win the big one. Gotta have it, Gotta have it."

16. gopats88

gopats88 Member

The thing is, who are the other CBs who have been considered "elite" in recent memory? Asomugha, Bailey, Clements...? How many titles do they have combined? The closest that I can think of is Woodson, and that only accounts for one title over a pretty large number of years.

You can't say the same about QBs or passrushers or a number of other "more important" positions. Many of the winning teams have gotten by with average CBs or worse.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i would agree with this if Deion wasnt such a puss in run defense. you have no idea how many times i watched him jog next to the ballcarrier trying to make it look like he cant catch him yet hes just too scared.

he coined the term "business decision" and it showed.

Deion had better closing speed and was good at looking off coverage, than baiting a throw.

Revis uses power to reroute WR's and still has the speed to stay with WR's while tracking the ball.

it depends on how you prefer the position to be played. but the rules made playing defense FAR easier back then too.

theres alot of factors that go into trying to make that debate. I personally prefer an all around CB whos not a liability in the run game.

Revis was never given the opportunity to be a full time return guy. he was amazing at Pitt but hes so good at coverage (which is more rare in this pass happy era with the rules favoring offense when it comes to contact) hes not worth risking the injury as a returner.

Sanders was one of the sickest special teamers though.

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Revis will never reach 53 Ints.

Peyton Manning didn't even throw to Reggie Wayne during a playoff game.

Revis will never have the amount of chances to even get INTs if that trend keeps up so he can't reach that number.

Which begs the question - if he is fearing other-worldly QBs to stay away from their #1 WR? He should be considered better than Neon - yes?

19. ajetsfan4ever

I totally agree.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Deion never saw a sideline he didn't like.