Revis. Sends chills....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jun 29, 2012.

1. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Slow ur roll there. I love Revis but he not in the talks yet with Prime Time.

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I really don't care. :rofl2:

3. MikeJetsWord

MikeJetsWord New Member

Hahaha that was a good one. Definitely killed the mood of the party

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

[YOUTUBE]9tBl2-XLZU4[/YOUTUBE]
    Do plays like that help win games?

Obviously yes, Revis has to play more to be legitimately compared to Deione when you look at their careers, but as far as skill at the CB position itself, I think Revis is the better player. Sanders might be able to play more more positions, but Revis is way better at tackling and physically harassing receivers within the 5 yards. I'd rather not see Revis risk injury on special teams or offense.

5. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Having a shut down corner is necessary to win championships, but I'm not sure it's worth the money Revis is commanding. I think the Eagles probably got hosed by the market ball park set by Revis (hosed on Nnamdi). We may see a "market correction" on such high dollars for corners, and I don't want to see the Jets get caught on the wrong side of the trend.

If Revis is just looking for more years, maybe so be it. But if he's looking to once again go where no man has gone before, it's time to put on the brakes.

6. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That is absolutely ridiculous, you do not need a "shut down" CB to win championships.

Just ask the Giants.

7. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Well, I don't know about calling it "ridiculous." The term "shutdown" is amorphous, meaning everything from "hall of famer" to "good coverage cornerback who can defend man to man."

You can't measure everything off the Giants -- they went 9-7 and got hot in the post-season. The goal is to try to build a championship caliber team, not build a carbon copy of a 9-7 team that won it.

Just like you can't end every quarterback discussion with "Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl."

All I was saying was it's important -- if you read the whole post I go on to say it might not be as important as Revis's salary would dictate.

8. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Pretty much agree with everything you say here, especially the salary part.

However, I think a strong defensive front 7 (like the Giants) will mask any weaknesses in the secondary.

If teams have a very strong front 7 and pressure the QB, you do not need a "shut down" CB to be successful, average CB's in that situation will work fine.

9. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

OK, how about this list.

2012 Giants
    2011 Packers
    2010 Saints
    2009 Steelers
    2008 Giants
    2007 Colts
    2006 Steelers

Which of those teams had an all world "shutdown" corner ? Oh, btw, "shutdown corner" is nowhere near the same as "good coverage cornerback who can defend man to man." It's as the name implies, whomever he is covering is basically shut down and taken out of the game.

10. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

you guys need to shut up, not one single position wins a championship. revis is the best CB in football hands down, but he can't win us a championship. JPP and justin tuck aren't a team, the front 7 isnt the sole reason they won a super bowl.

revis makes our defense SO much better, but he himself can't win a championship. deion sanders himself doesn't win a championship. aaron rodgers himself doesnt win a championship. stop acting as if they do

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

So not Charles Woodson? I mean, it seems like you've defined "shutdown corner" as "Revis." So if I go through the list, you'll say none of them?

What are we arguing about? I'm fine with "good cornerback." It was just a freaking lead-in sentence so I could say Revis shouldn't be overpaid.

12. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Pass rush is way more important, and should be where a team spends its money.

13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

The thing that gets bandied about here is that Revis is the best corner in the game, and perhaps the best to ever play the position, THUS, he should be paid accordingly. This is based on him truly being a "shutdown corner".

You talked about the need for a "shutdown corner" to win an NFL Championship. I just listed the past 7 Super Bowl winners, NONE of whom had a "shutdown corner" that commanded anywhere near the kind of salary that Revis has made and might try and hold out for.

Some of those teams had good corners, to be sure. Corners who were better than average or perhaps even bordering on great. Basically, it would be like looking at a standard distribution curve. Revis is way over there at 0.15, meaning that he's better than 99.85% of the other corners. Thing is, teams CAN, HAVE and WILL CONTINUE to win Championships with corners who are "only" better than 95% of the other corners in the league.

In short, there comes a point where a person's increased talent simply isn't worth any additional money. Do you really need to pay the "best shutdown corner" in the NFL $15-20 mil per year when you can get the 3rd best corner in the NFL for under $12 mil ?

What we are arguing about was your initial statement that teams had to have a "shutdown corner" to win a Championship. And yes, I understand that you said that Revis shouldn't be overpaid, but, your first statement would tend to elevate the amount that he should be paid.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So who shall we start cutting so you fools can pay Revis? I know..start with Sanchez and then Mangold..maybe Brick too..that should clear enough..this isn't monopoly you know.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

We should have money to spend next season and probably wouldn't have to allocate more than 6-7 million on top of the 6.5 he already makes for that year. I don't think it'll break the bank to keep him, and I still say he's worth every penny unless he makes more than 16/year. If he wasn't one of the best to ever play the position I'd say less money, but he should be the highest paid corner.

16. Bannon

Bannon New Member

But you got all of that out of "shutdown corner." I just meant a good cover corner, like, one of the good ones. Got to be able to cover people.

And if I'm wrong to use the term so carelessly, I take it back. Hardly worth splitting hairs over, when my point was I'm not sure the job of cornerback is worth the trend we're seeing -- the implied statement being the next best guy might be good enough.

Running back is important, but it's just not a position where the marginal quality difference justifies a big pay check. Pass rush, QB, and left tackle where the money goes.

17. Reece

Reece Banned

Best CB in the league...yes
    Deserves to be Highest paid CB...yes
    Best ever....not even close

This will end two ways: Revis gets the money he wants or doesn't retire a Jet

18. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Who is the best CB of all time, then?

I believe that Revis will go down as the best "shutdown" CB to ever play in the NFL.

19. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Prolly Deion.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The 9-7 G-men with their all powerful front 7 and weak backfield would have lost that game 7 days a week if the Gronk wasn't playing on a broken ankle -or- if Wes Welker didn't drop that pass for a 1st down late in the game.

Anyone who points to the G-men as an example of why you don't need Revis is retarded.