Revis. Sends chills....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jun 29, 2012.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The coverage on Dez from 1:38 to about 1:44 was incredible. The guy leaves no separation from him and the WR.

He will retire as the greatest CB of all time and hopefully a NYJ.

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I'll give ya Revis is a better tackler, but no way he is a more complete package. Deion played ST, offense and defense, his contribution to the team was more than what Revis does. His closing speed and leaping ability was as good as anyone who ever played. And he played against some of the best WR ever as well. Not to mention he played against a lot better QB's than what the NFL has today.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Revis, but Deion was the best ever!

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

From what you just wrote, I am taking away that Deion was the better football player and more explosive but Revis is a better corner. Would that be fair?

Also Revis did go up against Peyton and Brady, two all time greats where the rules clearly favor them and the offense

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think Derrell's strength is close cover, he may be the best at that, but Deion could play off a receiver, fooling the QB into throwing his direction. 53 INT's is pretty impressive. Revis covers like a cape, Sanders like a tent.

5. Jet_Blue

Jet_Blue Member

Yes, 53 is a heavy number.

Actually, Revis is on a pace for 63 if he played the same # of seasons...

But it will never happen, I suppose... as QB today are deathly afraid to throw to his side now. It's amusing how some don't look that way at all.

6. Reece

Reece Banned

Revis is a beast but take off the Emerald goggles. He is not better than Deion for the simple fact that Neon did it big over a longer time period. If Revis can keep up this level of play, Deion might have to look over his shoulders but Deion was electric. Dude scored touchdowns on KR, PR and ints. Revis plays defense on a Wr. I like how physical Revis plays but he has a long way to go to be on Deions level.

For the record, Revis does not routinely shut down Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Deion also played STs. He'd catch the punt then burn a 4.0 40 to the nearest sideline. Dude didn't like getting hit. He ran scared, which is probably why he ran so fast!!!!

8. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

I really despise SOJF like you.

9. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

You're a bitch.

10. Jet_Blue

Jet_Blue Member

Wait. So you despise him and he's a SOJF because he's giving his honest opinion and he won't wear green glasses? Sad.

11. Reece

Reece Banned

I've come to understand this is how meatheads discuss topics online.

#31 Reece, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  12. displacedfan

That is true. I never saw Deion play so I can't judge and highlights on youtube only show half the story.

Deion could definitely do more, but I wonder if in today's NFL you would see a star player ever playing 3 ways.

13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

A lot of Sanders' hype came from his impact in the return game, which was tremendous, and his occasionally playing receiver.
    Revis isn't as fast as Sanders was, but he's a much better all around corner, especially as a tackler, and in run support.

14. Reece

Reece Banned

Tis true.. Deion wouldn't tackle for ish...Revis is physical and will come up and make the tackle on Rb's and Wr's alike.

15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Please show me all the clips of Deion making a tackle, let alone stopping a guy in the open field and bringing him down for a loss. DS could be found around any pile skipping, or at the most, hanging on for dear life waiting for help. To say Revis isn't as good DS as far as an all-around CD is ridiculous. Does Revis return kicks or punts? No, so to say that DS was better at something that Revis doesn't even do is also silly.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Cromartie has watched a ton of Deion tape.

You can tell by the way Cro gets out of the way of running backs in the open field.

17. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Revis can't afford to play ST also because he actually tackles guys on defense, unlike Sanders. In college, Revis had ESPN's play of the year in college football on a punt return.

That being said, leave it to the Jets to finally get one of the best to ever play a position in an era where that position has been minimized by the current rules, strategy, and culture of the game. I hope he's a Jet for life, but not at the sake of keeping the offensive line together with paperclips and duct tape (or whatever issue we may be having at that time).

18. Reece

Reece Banned

Stop arguing points you bring up as if they were worded by me. Deion surpassed Revis as a better football player and was a better cornerback. Revis has to play at a high level for a few more seasons to be mentioned as the greatest ever. Deion put points on the board, Revis doesn't. Last time I checked, points win games, not shutting down 1/53 players.

This reminds me of Lebron being compared to Jordan. Slow down sonny, pump your brakes.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

What an ignorant comment. How much do the Jets pay him? $12 million a year makes him the highest paid CB in the NFL. Is that enough. Do you pay him $15 million a year and have him make 50% more than the next highest paid CB? $20 million? $30 million?

When you say pay the man, you should qualify it. Paying Revis any more than $12 million a year means he is over paid for his position and will only hurt the team by eating up payroll that can be used elsewhere. If Revis won't play for a contract that makes him the highest paid CB in the NFL, but not the $15-16 million a year he wants, it is time to trade him.

A demand for $15 million a year will show that Revis is a selfish me-first player than cares only about what he is paid, team goals and teammates be damned.

Does any other team have to deal with its superstar player demanding to be paid way above market and holding out every 2-3 years? No.

20. displacedfan

Haha you are very right that its very Jet like we might get the best ever at one of the least important positions. We could be like the Raiders though with Lechler and Janokowski. Best P/K combo in the league

[YOUTUBE]kCSrwKrhbIQ[/YOUTUBE]