Revis: Locker room in "disarray right now"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NoodleArm, Mar 28, 2012.

1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I didn't see this posted. Please delete if it's already there.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11529/revis-locker-room-in-disarray-right-now

Darrelle Revis did his best to defend Mark Sanchez, praise Tim Tebow and explain the Jets locker room dysfunction at the end of last season, but in the word association portion of his ESPN SportsCenter interview Wednesday morning, the Jets cornerback was candid in his brevity. The word was “locker room.”

Revis paused. “Disarray right now.”

Earlier, Revis explained how things got out of hand at the end of last season as the relationship between Sanchez and wide receiver Santonio Holmes deteriorated.

“There were a lot of things going on with guys wanting the ball,” Revis said. When it’s like that and you’re losing it gets a little bit more frustrating, that’s all. People were just trying to find ways to win. Santonio wanted the ball. It wasn’t negative, I think he wanted to be the guy who wins games for us. And then it blew up out of proportion and then it was Santonio is not siding with Mark, and it just blew out of proportion. And then (then-offensive coordinator Brian) Schotteheimer was in the mix of it too with the playcalling.”

The Pro Bowl player was in Bristol after being named as one of 16 finalists for the cover of Madden13. He is up against Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz in this round, and noted that the Jets lost to the Giants last season. He solicited fan votes by saying the Jets wouldn’t get a chance at a New York rematch this season.

“Please vote for me so I can beat them,” Revis said.

As for his newest teammate, Revis said he had a lot of respect for Tebow after the Jets lost to Denver last season.

“After the game, you got to give a guy credit and give him respect,” Revis said.

Revis was careful when he talked about a quarterback situation that may not help a locker room in disarray. He said he thought Tebow would ultimately help the Jets.

“I think (Tebow will) have a big impact on (Sanchez) in terms of just trying to maybe push him a little bit more,” Revis said. “Not to say that Mark needs to get pushed, but in a way that you know, Tebow is a winning quarterback. Mark is a winning quarterback too, you got to understand that Mark took us to two AFC championship games.

“I think both of them will just have to feel each other out. We’re probably going to try to figure that out during OTAs. And going into training and see how comfortable both of them are going into the season.”

Revis is clearly sensitive to the way positive comments about Tebow could be taken as negative in regard to the current starter, and Revis went out of his way to refute an anonymous team source last season who critiqued Sanchez and his work ethic.

“I know Mark personally,” Revis said. “and he’s there, we’re there sometimes at 7 p.m. — two hours after work — in the cold tubs and the hot tubs and he’s going over his playbooks, so I know Mark works hard. That’s no question about it.”

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I watched it this morning. Looks very different when reading it out of context. It was a really soft easy interview with Revis laughing most of the time. Made it seem like things were never as bad as they were. Defended Mark and said if you are going to have a problem and come out like that it means nothing without putting your name on it.

3. Tebowchise

Tebowchise New Member

The headline is very disjointed from the rest of the article in my opinion.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's what you have to look forward to with the NY Jets beat articles. Their headline writers get paid by the angry comments at the bottom of the web article.

5. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to go vote for Cruz, the last thing we need is Revis catching the Madden curse. Can we get Brady on the cover?

6. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

So fix it.....get in there and become the leader you are supposed to be. I'm sick and tired of nobody standing up and taking over this locker room....90% of our problem is our weak locker room. Anonymous players talking shit....it's so bush league! Someone has to step up this year and get this locker room locked down.....so tired about hearing about this. These guys get paid millions of dollars to play this game....HANDLE YOUR SHIT!

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Revis says the media blew things out of proportion.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I agree the headline does not match the article or tweets I read about Revis' comment. He basically said everything is blown out of proportion, Tebow will help, Sanchez is a hard worker.

9. Tebowchise

Tebowchise New Member

Revis gets what Revis wants.

Screw the Giants!

10. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

It's hard to knock Revis because he always seems to be the consummate professional, but it would be nice to hear more about him taking a leadership role in the lockerroom. He obviously would have the respect of his teammates. Sanchez is going to need to do the same on the offensive side if he's going to survive as the starter and weather the Tebow storm.

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The media looks for any way they can put a slant on the story so it sounds controversial. All we need to do is stay focused on winning games and pull in the ranks with the "us against the world" battle cry.

Revis should step up as a leader and make sure the loudest voices in the locker room are that of the veterans.

12. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

i'm glad Revis is standing behind the QB!!

13. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Did the media cause Holmes raise hell in the huddle in the Miami game or was that caused by the fact that Sanchez throws too many 3 yard passes on third-and-8s?

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I agree that Revis should have a bigger leadership role but for all we know he is a good locker room presence, he just doesn't whoop it up in the spotlight. I think he is more of a "lead by example" kind of guy and other than the odd clip from Sound FX on NFL network we don't really hear from him at all.

15. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I believe that was the work of Mr. Schotty. Who took his talents to St. Louis. It was a typical Jets play.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Nah - that was the hood.

17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I agree, that was why I said it would be nice to 'hear' more about it. I suppose he may be more of a leader than fans think because he keeps it low key but it just seems like you don't hear much about it. He definitely leads by example though, no question about that.

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you just said.

19. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter New Member

Going to have to get used to the misleading titles of some articles along with articles commenting on how a player dressed haha

20. Jets83

Jets83 Banned

Thats the media. They want this team to suck cause it sells headlines. Its like those clown on nfl network, Andrew Siclianfofodg or whatever his name is and warren sapp, torry holt, and michael lombardi who say theres no way this works because it never has before. Well before you start sayig stuff like that maybe we should let the guys play first. I also have a conspiracy theory that this un-named player crap is all fake.