Revis 60 minutes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Oct 19, 2015.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't buy the "Rex assigns bump coverage" comment 5 years ago with Cro and I'm not going to buy the Bowles brand of it with Revis.

I've never heard or seen any evidence that the HC or coordinator is giving corners their engagement calls at the line, and judging by the way Revis was always jam and Cro was always cushion back then, I still don't believe it.

They are both veterans that are supposed to be relied on for their instincts. You really think Bowles is telling Revis how to play at the line before the defense even gets set? Come on, Koop.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If Bowles notices a problem or something bothering him in Revis not pressing during a game, I absolutely think that he would demand him to start doing it

In general I don't disagree that the corners can play man up how they choose and I also said before that you might be right that Revis is going more for turnovers and less for pure shutdown.....But I also think that coincidentally (or not) it might also be due to the fact that he isn't the same pure athlete that he used to be (even though you're right that he's still a hell of an athlete)

I guess my main point is even if you're right, it might not always be a bad thing that he is playing with this style.....That INT yesterday was a game changer

3. abyzmul

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST SAY I'M RIGHT???

Actually, I don't disagree with much if anything you're saying, I think we just disagree in degrees of each other's points. Which is fine, because it's a good conversation either way. Thanks for that.

And suck a dick.

Have a good night.

King Koopa likes this.
  4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Really? Yeah he changing up the way he playing from what made him 100mil already. Sounds like good business to me. Smh

5. abyzmul

What you taking about?

Yes that what I saying because way he play he need make as much money he can because later in career he maybe can't play same as he play.

#45 abyzmul, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

lulz

_

7. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

I knew he was savvy. But, for some reason I thought he had a scintilla of loyalty to the Jets. What made me really happy was the amount of work he puts in during the offseason, and he gives the best and is expected to be paid the best. Further, what really annoys me is a player like Sheldon Richardson,and how he spends his offseason. But from that bit, it appeared that Revis is the hardest working man in our locker-room.

8. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is going to pay him anymore the older he gets. Do you think anyone will pay more for a 31 year old corner, than the Jets currently pay him? Nice try, I like the effort.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You're trying to get way too far into our cornerbacks' heads my man.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's older and the body isn't in perfect shape. He's lost half a step, as most players do after 30. He's more aware of the possibility of injury on contact plays.

I'm thinking he's just using anticipation more and contact less than he used too. He's relying on his 10,000 snaps of experience to setup the turnovers. Truth be told, he's at least as effective with a TO a game and the receivers catching 54% of the balls as he was with 6 picks a season and the receivers catching 47%.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

So funny to read the revis love in this thread. If he were still in NE, it would be a Geiger love fest instead. I'm thrilled he's playing for my team again, but i have no allusions about his loyalty, and no gay love for him anymore. He doesn't remember what color he's wearing until he gets to the locker room.

And yes, Byz, your first post was on point. Hes still an amazing player. Amazing. Elite. But he's not twice as good as the next best player on the field anymore. He knows it. He doesn't try to be.

I don't know if he literally plays for the stats, as you suggested, but it's an interesting idea. In 2009, he dominated everyone, allowed nothing, and QB's just stopped looking his way entirely. He re-wrote what was humanly possible from the position.

It's not like that anymore. It may be that he's baiting, but I think he's just devolved from Superman to a slightly less-hungry and less inhuman talent.

In 2009, garçon doesn't score. Cousins never looks at garçon. However, Hypothetically, if he forces it to garçon in 2009, Revis is inside garcon's jersey and slaps it away. He never gets dissed at the line like that 6 years ago.

#51 twown, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Money is Revis's #1 motivation for sure, but I do genuinely believe he likes this team, though.

13. Br4d

The funny thing is that there's this legend that people stopped throwing at Revis in 2009 but in fact he was 4th in most passes sent his way in 2009. What he did was to make those targets very low value for the opponent and the Jets had one of the all-time great pass defenses as a result. In 2010 his targets dropped significantly but he also missed a couple of games and a half with the hamstring after his holdout. In 2011 he was targeted an average amount.

almbleamal likes this.
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea - I've even seen Jets fans posting about how no one threw at him in '09.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

That's an incredible bit of data. Br4d, anyone but you and I would never believe that stat about 4th most targets.

Then again, he sure was on the screen dominating niggaz all year. Maybe I can believe it. Lol.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I guess it makes sense since he was always shadowing (and castrating) the number 1 guy.

17. Br4d

Rex was blitzing like a mad man all year long. QB's under pressure throw at their #1 when he is in single coverage and Revis was in single coverage on the #1 all year long.

18. max

max Active Member

Two thoughts.

1. Not sure how serious I am about the this one. Ever think that Revis got bored with Qb's not throwing at him. Maybe that's why he changed his style.

2. Even if he was playing a new way to get the stats and get paid more, really think Mac and Bowles would think spending more on Revis is necessary? I don't think they'd put up with it.

19. Hitsomeone

Hitsomeone Active Member

I didn't mind him going for the money. That's what Wall Street brokers do and CEO's do at their professions and most people don't bat an eye.
    And it truly bothers me even less when the guy is humble and not throwing money away on bullshit like most of the multi-millionaires do.

100 Million Dollar man, training like a god damn rookie in July, i mean, come on.

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Is there a video of this anywhere?