Retire Dennis Byrd's Number Now!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ultrajet, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ultrajet

ultrajet Active Member

Whatever he said in that locker room really resonated with that team. I would like to thank Dennis Byrd for helping us move one step closer to our goal!!

This man is a true inspiration for all!!! RETIRE HIS NUMBER NOW!!

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Next week, take his jersey back onto the field during the coin toss.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It should have been retired years ago!

4. ultrajet

ultrajet Active Member

No doubt UNTIL WE REACH OUR GOAL!!!

5. honestcl

honestcl Member

Good suggestion by the original poster. I need a tape of this speech!! What the hell was it he said to make them play THAT good!!??

6. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

according to wikipedia no Jet has worn #90 since Byrd wore it, but it hasn't formally been retired.

I was too young to ever watch Dennis Byrd play, he was before my time, but Dennis Byrd, I humbly salute you.

I love the new york jetssssssssssssss

7. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

Dennis Byrd sent a package to the Jets on Wednesday with the sole purpose of sharing something close to his heart.

In it, he placed the No. 90 jersey that was cut off his shoulder pads during a horrific collision at the Meadowlands in 1992, when he hit teammate Scott Mersereau and broke the C-5 vertebra in his neck. He would never play football again, regaining the power to walk only after extensive rehabilitation.

Admittedly living a quiet life at his ranch in Talala, Okla., with his two horses, four dogs and four children, Byrd felt it was time to re-connect with the organization.

"I sent them the jersey with the understanding that this was something I'd like to share with them, really the jersey was sent for coach (Rex) Ryan," Byrd told reporters Sunday. "I love to watch him as a coach and he understands the significance of these things."

What materialized was a heartfelt speech he gave to the team at their hotel yesterday. Ryan had a highlight film of Byrd made, and introduced him to his players. For the next 15 minutes, Byrd did his best to relay the significance of this moment.

Braylon Edwards tweeted that, after hearing it, he'd never been more ready to perform in his life.

"The most important thing about this moment is for the men of this team to understand that they don't come along very often," Byrd said. "This is a critical point, an important point for the Jets and the young men. I want them to know that "this is it," it's not looking to the future, it's not next year or we need this piece or that piece, or we'll be better when we do this, it's now."

Byrd was nervous at first, as he noticed how quiet all the players were. But eventually, he spent some individual time with the players and found that he achieved his goal.

"It was priceless, whenever I was speaking to them initially they were so quiet that I was a little nervous that, 'oh this is falling flat, this is not working' and that happens at times whenever you have people's attentions," Byrd said. "I didn't panic and in visiting with the men afterward and the coaches it was easy to see that it had the effect that that I really wished it did."

Previously, Byrd had mostly been in contact with the team though Brock Sunderland, a Jets scout whose father formerly held the same position.

But now, after Saturday, he feels more connected than ever.

Said Byrd: "They're the only colors I've ever worn."

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Both DeVito and Edwards said that Byrd's speech was the most inspirational thing they had ever heard.

9. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

That aint just a jersey anymore guys, that's our fucking team flag now for the AFCC. They carried it into battle tonight for that coin toss (no offense to our military, but visualize this) and displayed it in enemy territory on national tv..then won.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Sanchez also just referred to Byrd's speech.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Byrd was a very good pass rusher. He was at least on Shaun Ellis' level.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

yes.
    yes.

That was once of the worst moments as a kid, and watching the big underdog Jets beat the mighty Bills in Buffalo the week after (despite sucking yet another year) was one of the greatest moments ever.
    Retire #90.

13. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

14. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

My father still gets chills everytime he tells me about Dennis Byrd, and can tell me exactly what happened the moment he got hurt.
    I had told him about the speech when I heard about it and he said, something special will happen. When our guys carried his jersey on the field, I knew it was go time, and I got chills.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Great analogy. When I saw Bart(?) carry it out, I was like, man we are doing this in the Pasts house? It was cool to watch and honor Mr. Byrd.

16. RevisOfNazareth

Thanks, I was pretty scared any reaction to that statement would be met with a "how dare you" reaction from some Vet. I haven't slept yet, all of this is still being digested. Yeah, we've been here before. This aint new. But to now know we're one game away from the superbowl..fuck..it's always the same level of excitement. 98, 09, now are the only ones I've been here for, but each time is so exciting going in.

Back on topic, the reason I bring it up is in medieval warfare, when knights would go into battle against opposing knights, even up until our American revolution, the generals would meet halfway across the field on horseback carrying their banners. That is what this act reminded me of, and Byrd's original torn jersey should be carried to every coin toss through the Superbowl. I know it's why opposing captains meet before soccer matches in Europe, and it might have a little to do with our own coin toss.

Football players in their jerseys and pads are as close to knights as we'll get today.

17. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

I almost broke down when I saw 90 on the field before the game.

Hard not to when you known the whole story.

Lam

18. blackwaltz7

blackwaltz7 New Member

The interview he had after the game was really inspirational, i cant even imagine how deep his talk was to the Jets

19. RevisOfNazareth

If you're the real deal (forgive me, a lot of us here use players names to post as with love), I expect to hear your story on CBS Sunday after a phone call with the Jets. After all, Lam went to Texas and shouldn't be outdone in motivating the Jets by an Oklahoman who played at Tulsa. (with all respect to Byrd) :beer:

And to the real Lam Jones, hope you're doing well man hang in there, wherever you are.