Retire # 80

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JUNJOBX2199, Sep 24, 2007.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm still waiting for Hill and Powell to have their numbers retired. Chrebet, no.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Speaking of Al Toon, did you know that he has a son who happens to be a very talented WR in his own right, a freshman at Wisconsin. I'm already hoping we draft him in 3-4 years.

http://wisconsin.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p=8&c=1&nid=2415550

3. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Wayne Chrebet 4 Life!!! #80 !

5. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Nobody will ever look right wearing 80. I wouldn't be upset if they retired the number, but if they could at least save it for a 1st round WR of the future I'd be fine.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We all love Chrebet but he doesnt' deserve his # to be retired. he deserved a day to honor him and het got that.

7. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

No HOF = No Number Retired... That's my stance.

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I wouldn't mind seeing his number retired. I know there are old timers who want to see others retired before Chrebet, but Wayne Chrebet holds a very special place in the heart of a lot of Jets fans, both old timers and newer fans alike.

I mean, all the guy did was leave nothing on the field every single game. His story is unlike that of most NFL'ers. He did it the hard way at every level, and succeeded in doing more then most receivers picked in the first round. I can understand the argument in not retiring his number, and if it never happens, then so be it. I certainly won't lose sleep over it. But if they do retire it, I'll certainly understand why.

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I didn't know that. I was actually pissed when we drafted Al Toon because I didn't think we needed a WR in the first round, but I was wrong. There was nothing he couldn't do. Later on it really made me question why we used a supplemental pick in 1990 and forfeited our 1991 #1 pick for Rob Moore, when we already had Toon. Moore was just a poor man's Toon and we already had the real thing.