Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don't think you understand the definition of that word

nyjetsknicks247 likes this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There's no way in hell those figures are updated. The Jaguars don't have $81 million after their spending spree and the Giants don't have $50+ mil. Those probably only count official deals, and only like 3 of the gazillion signings have been made official.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Literally, we have $5,297,980 in cap space actually.

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Schefter said this morning on Mike & Mike that no other teams but the Jets are even talking to Fitz.

5. impure

impure Well-Known Member

Yep, He didn't even mention Fitz as a possible QB option for them, it was Greenie that brought up Fitz.

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Fitz's agent: "I'm taking a call from Denver as we speak!"

Macc: "Ummmm, yeah..... right."

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ubiquitous and macbk like this.
  7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

im less worried about the present and more worried about the next 3-5 years.

we arent superbowl favorites with fitz, and even if he does have as good a year as last year we still arent a playoff lock, especially if paying him means wilk, harrison, others cant be brought back

8. jerseyjay14

this is spot on

hwismer likes this.
  9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Which is why Fitz has to come back to reality at some point and realize his worth. Just because Houston goofed and gave Brock that money doesn't make Fitz "deserving" of it as well.

Look, I want Fitz back no doubt. He's the best QB the Jets have had in years. I don't even wanna see what Brandon Marshall is going to say or do if Fitz isn't throwing to him Week 1.

With that said, I'd like him back on a 2 year deal at most. I get the feeling the longer this drags, the better it is for the Jets; unless a team like Denver and Rams as rumored pony up cash and offer. I can't see him turning it down, despite openly saying he wants to remain here. Reality should hit him and know he's not worth the large deal he is looking for at this point in his career. Should he be paid more than Brock based off comparison, absolutely. Is he deserving of large money in his own right, without comparing.. IMHO no. This isn't going to turn into the Bills deal all over again. At least I hope not.

For once I want an off-season without QB drama :mad: :( .

10. jerseyjay14

to me it isnt giving him 19 million... im not sure id want to pay him even 9-12 million. he is an older, short term solution who didnt get us to the playoffs during a career year.

i dont want the ramifications of giving him 10+ million

11. jerseyjay14

and RG3 would likely cost less

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Big Cat

I think continuity is more important than Fitzpatrick himself. He, Marshall, Decker and Chan all saw the game the same way, which is huge. They know what their plan is vs certain defenses and what checks/route adjustments to make. You're gonna lose a lot of that if someone other than Fitz is under center.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I doubt anybody sees Geno as anything more than a developmental QB at this point. He's gotten a lot of snaps for the Jets and he hasn't looked prepared or capable of running an NFL offense except for a brief period early in his career and in a few meaningless games late in the season when the opponent was low-caliber and uninspired.

It's not that he doesn't have some potential but he hasn't done much with that and he's begun to look frisky in the pocket as well after all the hits he's absorbed so far.

14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Its gotta be tough for Fitz to think that literally one game cost you millions and millions of dollars as well as job security for you and your family the next few years. If he wins the last game of the season, the Jets make the playoffs, Fitz is a hero, and he is probably getting a Brock Osweiller contract right now. He would have gone to the playoffs for the first time in his career, maybe made the pro bowl, and the team, players and fans would love him. But instead, he lost the game, in embarrassing fashion, and the Jets miss the playoffs. His mediocrity is further cemented and no team wants to give him a big deal. He is seen as a stopgap QB that isn't worth much value. That one game literally makes or breaks his contract, and he ruined it.

What hurts worse... that all important game where he got his ass handed to him and derailed his big contract... came against his former team that he wanted to beat so bad. I feel bad for Fitz. He's a good guy and I'd like to see him successful. Its gotta be tough. He still may get a nice penny, we'll see.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Negotiations aren't about being fair, they're about leverage. If Fitzpatrick has no other team looking at him for a starting role, he has no leverage. The top paid backup is Chase Daniel. Most other backups are on the order of $5mil average or less.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a rough situation for him. It's also not great for the Jets because they're holding the line on compensation, and rightfully so, but Fitzpatrick was a key part of the 10-6 last year. It's easy to see them going 6-10 with either Geno or Petty as the QB this season. It's also not a great draft to take a QB in the 1st round and the Jets would probably prefer not to do that before they've solidified the offensive line the new guy will inherit.

You have to think that they're talking internally about trying to trade Mo for Kaepernick at this point. The 49ers have a lot of cap space available and could probably pick up half of Kaepernick's salary this year in addition to paying Mo. They're probably doing a lot of background work on RGIII. After that things get much dicier and you're talking a young guy or somebody likely to fail at QB.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Very true. A playoff appearance and maybe even a win in the WC game and he's getting that payday, easily. It would still be a stretch to give it to him but it would be warranted and an "in the moment" kind of deal.

18. Big Cat

Hey now, Jets sniffing Kaepernick

Legit or more Fitz-leverage for us?

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know. I was joking, hence all the emoticons.

20. Big Cat

And another