Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You gotta look at the context of that offer though -- whole thing, not just 1 year.

Yr 1 -- Jets pay premium for a bridge QB
    Yr 2 -- Jets expect Fitz to be a backup and will pay a bit over league ave
    Yr 3 -- Jets expect to cut Fitz with little cap hit

Mac has a defined plan for Fitz and is willing to pay a little extra to shoo away other suitor while making it just lucrative enough so that Fitz can't reasonably refuse.
    I thought you point all along was that Fitz is by no means a franchise guy, but better than all else on the roster. Didn't we agree that what he brings to Jets is continuity and mentoring while keeping fans reasonably excited for the season? Well, I'm wavering a little on the mentoring thing -- this is not at all what I'd like my young QBs to learn.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I think this is like 3rd time you're mentioning this opt- out clause.
    It's an interesting idea, but it's not in Jets best interest. Mac wants a serviceable "cheap" backup next year, and maybe in 2018. Why would he voluntarily take this away?
    Just so that Fitz has easier time signing? This offer is still the best for Fitz, Mac seems confident it'll be signed without giving up Jets options for '17 and '18.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Nick Foles is staying away from Rams camp because of the Goff situation. Rumors floating that they might release him. If they do, and his market is in the same spot as Brian Hoyer's $2 million deal, I'd sign him and have an experienced backup to Geno. Give him one last chance to start and if he still struggles with a new coaching staff, better supporting cast and 1 1/2 years of development, pull the plug and put in Foles, who's essentially a younger and cheaper version of Fitz.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And course he's not a franchise guy--he's clearly the bridge but a bridge the Jets truly want.

That's why you can't look at that first year as THE number because it's not--but that's what everyone is getting hung up on--"HE'S NOT WORTH THAT GODDAMMIT I AM READY TO MOVE ON WHO DOESS HE THINK HE IS?!? :mad::mad:"

_

5. JStokes

I never said $12M a year. $12M the FIRST year--which is too much for some folks here that he should only get what THEY think he should get.

It's the 2nd and 3rd year the are the hangups.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can mention it more than once, it isn't like I'm starting a thread. :) Odds are Fitz won't be in any position to use the opt out so I wouldn't worry. We could also remove the guaranteed money in 2017 to make him cuttable then as part of a compromise. Also an 8M cap hit in 2017 and 2018 is very expensive for a backup. I think Macc will cut Fitz before 2018 if Hack or someone else has won the starting job.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Let's Post "Things that will happen before Ryan Fitzpatrick re-signs with Jets":
    I'll start:
    -Bernie Sanders drops out of the Presidential Race.
    -Ghostbusters opens and BOMBS.
    -The Yankees go over .500.

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We drafted defensive players in the 1st in 2015 and 2016 also. This is an organizational thing that revolves around letting the head coach have a lot of input into the process and only hiring guys from the defensive side of the field as head coaches. It's not something that any GM has controlled since Bill Parcells left town.

2001 - Santana Moss WR
    2002 - Bryan Thomas DE
    2003 - Dewayne Robertson DT
    2004 - Jonathan Vilma LB
    2005 - No 1st, first player taken was a CB
    2006 - D'Brick, Mangold LT C after the line totally collapsed in 2005
    2007 - Revis CB
    2008 - Gholston DE
    2009 - Sanchez QB
    2010 - Wilson CB
    2011 - Wilkerson DT
    2012 - Coples DE
    2013 - Milliner, Richardson CB DT
    2014 - Pryor SS
    2015 - Williams DE
    2016 - Lee LB

The Jets have made 17 1st round picks since Parcells left town. 14 of them have been defensive players. The first player taken has been a defensive player in 13 out of the 16 drafts. That's the Jets organizational philosophy: draft defense high, keep the team within reach of a strong defense in any given season on the premise that a strong defense will keep the franchise competitive.

9. Br4d

Foles market is going to be the Jets and the Browns. I think both teams would start him over what they have on the roster right now. The Browns will only make a conditional offer to him because of the analytics approach they have embarked on. It will still look much better than $2M.

The Jets will probably have to offer Foles the same deal they're offering Fitzpatrick do get him onboard. Having two guys out there staring at the same offer will put the ball firmly in the Jets court.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. Br4d

If you're paying more than you have too it's charity. You're giving the other guy a better deal than the market offers. you'd better get something in return for that, particularly in a capped environment.

What exactly does Ryan Fitzpatrick bring to the table that argues the Jets should overpay for his services and make sacrifices elsewhere on the roster to do that? I don't see anything that justifies that kind of over-commitment.

I like Fitzpatrick and he was entertaining to watch last year but he sucked horribly at the end when it counted and I have no inclination to overpay for him to watch him become the weak link if the Jets make the playoffs somehow. Paying him what the market bears was always a decent option given the other options on the Jets roster, however overpaying him? No way.

11. JStokes

Except your definition of "overpay" and "market offers" and "over-commitment" and "what the market bears" is driven by emotions hence your use of the silly word "charity".

Why don't you email McGagnan and see if he agrees.

_

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

[
    I don't see where you can say these things are driven by emotion. I very much want Fitz to be the QB of the team next year, and I've outlined what I think are very good reasons for that. I just also think the other teams aren't willing to pay anywhere close to what the Jets are offering-- so why are we offering so much more than they are? If you go to an auction and nobody is bidding more than $80k on a car that you know should sell for $200k, do you offer $170K or $85K? I don't see where emotion enters into it.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt the Browns would go hard after Foles as it seems they're riding with RG3 and we could probably scoop him up for 3 or 4 mil

Let him know that he can win the job in camp against Geno or even be a backup for a QB who could easily struggle early on....What situation would be better for Foles than us?

It beats the hell out of paying 3X more for Fitz and Foles even has some upside left

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Well what do you think the next highest offer out there for Fitz is/would be? I would honestly guess around $4-5 million from a team like the Cowboys but I don't think it's anywhere close to what has been leaked from the Jets/Fitz contract negotiations

He doesn't fit the Broncos system and Elway likes the big arm....Cleveland isn't going to throw money at a band-aid when they have RG3 for $7 mil and aren't in position to make noise regardless

Who else is out there? It would be a backup spot unless some team's starter gets hurt...and even then it would have to be a team with salary cap space that also doesn't like their backup already

Seems far-fetched he would get anywhere close to what the Jets are reportedly offering

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. How many years has Fitz been a starter in the NFL? Of those, how many did he start out as a backup, and wound up starting only because the starter went down with a season-ending injury? Fitz would only be starting this year, and if they hold a true competition, possibly would not even start this year. Almost certainly, he would be a backup, insurance, and a veteran mentor in years 2 and 3. Even with the pathetic QB situation in the NFL, for how many other teams would Fitz start? I think the answer is none; otherwise, someone would have signed or at least been offering Fitz starting money. None are. Thus, I say that Fitz is not really a starting calibre QB. He's a glorified backup and stopgap. He only has value to the Jets because he's so familiar with Gailey's system.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your rookies and teams are not accurate at all. I don't have time to respond in depth now, but will later tonight.

17. JStokes

The emotion isn't on the Jets part--it's on your part as it is clouding your inability to understand that the jets FO think's he's WORTH that amount.

_

18. JStokes

Geezuz--this is not an issue of what other offers are out there--I'm assuming there are NONE. Zero. Nothing.

It's the Jets and Fitz--a symbiotic relationship. They both need each OTHER and that's why the Jets are offering more than zero. Or $4M Or $6.5M. Or $10M.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. JStokes

All those teams were MUCH much worse.

We weren't actually all that bad. Oakland and Minny were awful the year before their draft in 2014 and TB, Jax and Tenn were the worst teams in football.

_

20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've got it backwards. I'm making a rational conclusion based on market forces. The Jets are making an emotional decision that he's worth more than that.

Is that what you're saying? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm honestly trying to understand what you're saying here. It's certainly possible I'm in the wrong.