Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jets QB records being so sacred. Holy fuck, Sanchez was on pace to break them in 2011.

Jets QB records are fucking worthless.

Jets69 likes this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Wait for it. Fitz sucked, the "tape" and "facts" don't lie. And if you don't agree you know nothing about football.

lulz

_

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

People here are giving way to much credit to Fitz for last year.

One year with Chan at the helm and everyone forgets that we had one of the most unfriendly to QB coaching staffs in the NFL.
    Our offensive coaching staff from OC all the way down to the QB coach for years was an utter disaster.

All the credit for the offensive turn around goes to Chan first and foremost, then Marshall and Decker.
    Fitz was pulled along for the ride, he did not win us games - the team won games he played in.

People say all they need to do is the eye test to say Geno is no good which is fine and dandy, but then use the same eye test and it should be quite clear that Fitz isn't any good either.
    I am sick of people claiming he is a "smart" QB, he went to Harvard, yes, but he in no way plays the qb position smartly.

#2823 Section 336, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I think that latest remark by Fitz was him sending messages to aliens. And everything Mac and the players have said all along indicates they really want Geno back. Obviously they're up on all these cutting edge analytics posted on here.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

5. abyzmul

Bro, shame on you for not planning SB trips, this was an historic season.

6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

So much goes into it though, it's not just cut and dry

How much does being with this coaching staff help vs Rex and co.? Was Geno even close to ready mentally to play 16 straight weeks with the big boys (Obviously not)?

How much does sitting back and learning an offense, learning how to really be a pro after a rough rookie and 2nd season help?

He was benched and then came back and looked really good in the last few games he started....obviously without as much pressure but all of the players are professionals and no one is taking it easy because it's week 15 or 16

I'm really not a Geno apologist, but I am a fan....he plays for the Jets after all so no shame in that and it's crazy how much hate he gets from some fans. I would like to see him get one more shot because he has some really good physical qualities and throws a nice ball. The mental side of things is the decider but how can we ever know whether or not he will ever get it? The signs were that there's a decent chance he may never fully grasp it, but let's see it play out before folding

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A Juncman favorite.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the ball ain't coming out faster, don't bother he will never grasp it. No QB other then Russel Wilson holds onto the ball longer then Geno Smith

TNJet likes this.
  9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

NYJetsO12 and TNJet like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I see a lot of posters repeating the bunk that Fitz blew it after getting the big contract from Buffalo. Please stop it. In his last season with the Bills (2012), he started all 16 games with the following stat line:

Completion %: 60.6, 16th in the NFL
    Yards: 3400, 18th in the NFL
    TDs: 24, 13th in the NFL
    INTs: 16, T8th most in the NFL
    Passer Rating: 83.3, 17th in the NFL

These numbers are league average. Which is what Fitz has been for some years now. The Bills moved on from Fitz because they hired a new coach (Marrone) and were planning on taking a QB high in the draft, which they did (Manuel). NOT because Fitz was bad.

11. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be opposed to him getting that shot if he was our best option , or if he won a training camp competition. But this is a pretty big season for us upcoming. I've gotten into it before on past threads but long story short we are not a young team. Its a huge risk going into a season with a tossup at best QB around a win-now team.

A lot of the players that are going to be here this season are unlikely to be here next year. 2017 could be a transition year , its too late for this year to be one.

12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Its crazy how a fanbase that has seen so much bad QB play in its history , can describe Fitz's play as bad.

Everyone wants an elite QB. But so do like 25 other teams in the league.

NYJetsO12 and TNJet like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

I cracked up laughing when a poster (I forget who) lumped not only Fitz in with Sanchez and Geno but also Chad. Wow.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Had some free time today so I (regrettably) took 10 minutes to compile Fitz's stats vs top 10 defenses throughout the years. This past week I brought up the argument that we played very few good defenses in 2015 and will play many more in 2016, so I went to see how he typically fares against good competition.

2015 w/ NYJ (3 games: 1-2): 67/119 (56.3%), 269 YPG, 6 TD 2 INT

2014 w/ HOU (1 game: 1-0): 25/37 (67.6%), 268 YDS, 1 TD 2 INT

2013 w/ TEN (3 games: 1-2): 68/111 (61.3%), 246 YPG, 4 TD 5 INT

2012 w/ BUF (5 games: 1-4) 92/160 (57.5%), 200 YPG, 5 TD 6 INT

2011 w/ BUF (4 games: 2-2): 79/122 (64.8%), 214 YPG, 9 TD 3 INT

2010 w/ BUF (6 games: 1-5): 126/217 (58.1%), 243 YPG, 11 TD 7 INT

The stats aren't too far from his norm. Actually, they're pretty good considering these games are all against teams who finished in the top 10 in total defense. Leading up to the game we played vs. the Colts this year I stratified Andrew Luck's career stats into 2 categories: games against top 10 defenses and games against Jacksonville and Tennessee (considering he plays them twice a year). It showed that he stat padded against bad teams and fell apart against good defenses. Fitz's breakdown doesn't show this pattern.

In all, not much to see here. He doesn't light it up and he doesn't fall apart against good competition. The one notable thing is that although his stats are good, his teams have lost these games at an alarming rate. Is this because he's stat padding in garbage times of these losses? Or is it because his teams just weren't good enough to compete with top competition? I don't care, I've spent too long on this already.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  15. abyzmul

Is this where someone writes a ballad about the fucking backup QB we've all been dreaming about?

Holy fucking shit! This guy has done fucking NOTHING his entire career, then he gives us a fun season.. and make no mistake about it, it was ONLY fun. Nothing else. Now he's trying to do exactly what he did with the sorry Bills, cash in on a NOTHING season... and people are romancing it.

Ryan Fitz is fool's gold and has always been. Those records, they're MAGNIFICENT! Who the fuck do you people think you're fooling? That's the best he will ever play with this team.

I used to brush off the idea that Jets fans loved the backup, but this... this is really proof.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That's fine....I totally get how some fans want Fitz to start. To me even it would be the safe option and if the Jets ultimately go that route I will respect the decision and root for the Jets....of course Geno (or Petty or Hack) are one hit or freak injury away from being the guy so they need to progress and get better regardless

And I'm not saying just hand Geno the keys at all. The coaches have seen him for a year+ and will see him in OTAs and maybe TC as the starter so they have a much better idea how he has truly progressed. I'm just saying if he earns it it wouldn't be a terrible idea to see what he looks like this time around....IF he earns it

We're not in a position to take a QB 37th overall and dump him after a year and a half in a shit situation after he was rushed into play if we're being honest

17. HomeoftheJets

Average QB play isn't backup QB play. Since 2010, Fitz's passer ratings have been good for 22nd, 22nd, 17th, 23rd, 9th, and 24th in the NFL. Believe it or not, this past season was Fitz's worst passer rating relative to the rest of the NFL in 6 years. In addition, other metrics like Total QBR and DYAR are actually more favorable to Fitz if you want to look those up. A while back, I averaged out those metrics and found Fitz was good for 19th in the NFL over that span. So before posting stuff, find some evidence backing up your points. And before you talk about team wins and playoff berths, they don't count. They're functions of the team, not the QB.

Also, before you call me a Fitzbot or something like that, I understand why it's a bad idea to pay Fitz the money he wants. I have not supported doing that. But if you want to argue in favor of letting Fitz walk, you need to point out things like his age and how weak-armed QBs decline faster than strong-armed QBs. Not that he plays like a backup when he clearly doesn't.

18. abyzmul

Passer rules have become so favorable to to average and below average passers these days that the top QBs are breaking leave records like they're going out of style. But here we are, the mighty fucking Jets, and players like Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick pot up a few numbers, and WOWZERS, they're making numbers like this shitty team has never seen.

I don't give a flying fuck if you lady down at Fitz' doorstep or not, but you are definitely playing shill to the idea that what we've seen recently at the position is anything other than unsuccessful.

I think the season the team had in 2015 was a success, only because the situation they had put themselves in was ugly and they overacheived, even with a shitty schedule.

But the offense, how do you watch that and see anything other than an average OC coaching a run of the mill backup with a fantastic pair of receivers? Fucking guy ran in so many stupid situations and luckily only got hurt once. The so many ducks into coverage and got away with it.

He did some really good things at times, but fact is that the defense that so many people trashed was what kept is in games.

Fuck your metrics, too, and don't pretend to know what my arguments are. I've seen this guy play for years. I know what he is.

19. HomeoftheJets

Metrics > Internet opinions :cool:

Seriously, I've also watched Fitz play and I saw mediocrity, which can take a strong team on a playoff run. Different people see different things, which is why I posted the metrics, to support my opinion.

#2839 HomeoftheJets, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So sick of talking about this,either resign him or don't .Not sure what Macs waiting for it doesn't seem like Fitz is gonna budge that much.It seems like 9 mill would get it done.

SonofDinger and NYJetsO12 like this.