Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And it ain't like Fitz had some elite season.

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

he's gotten the best years out of some pretty below average qbs and runs a QB friendly system.

3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hes a very good OC but youre 100 percent correct. Lmao qb yoda.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This morning on NFL network Ian Rappaport sayin deal could be done with Fitz on or before OTA tues 5/24

fingers crossed to end this side show already

132 pps lmao

FlaJet, HomeoftheJets and Vida like this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

What QB?
    I have seen Thigpen mentioned but he actually had a terrible season for a starting QB, just because he started after the 2 QBs in front of him went down with injuries and it was the only time he ever started does not mean he got the best years out of him.
    Seen Elway, Tomczak and Stewart mentioned but Elway had worse seasons with Gailey. Tomczak and Stewart were completing 53-55% of their passes, Gailey got such a good year out of Tomczak that he was replaced by Stewart the next year.
    The system may be somewhat QB friendly but he did not get anything special out of the QBs he worked with. Conor Orr and Rich Cimini have been pushing the QB Whisperer narrative since he came to the Jets and I guess no one questioned it so it just caught on.

6. The Waterboy

Oh, I have no problem with the job Gailey has done but the "QB Whisperer", "QB Guru", "QB Yoda", "Great QB Developer" titles are ridiculous.

zace likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

True, Fitz had a great supporting cast, working in a system he was familiar with and has years of experience to help him be somewhat smart with the ball. All that worked to give Fitz a good season.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I just get the YODA vibe from him. the old wise one that can't do much but can teach u plenty. sorry if you guys took it as saying he's the best to ever mentor a QB lol.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You would be amazed as to how many fans on this site alone think they know better than the GM and the coaches, be it draft selection, negotiating contracts, final roster and player selection in general. Some even live the fantasy that they could do a better job.

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

hope he is wrong. that or we offer 3-4 M and fitz takes it.

LAJet and matt robinson 17 like this.
  11. jerseyjay14

he had an average season not a good one. and i wouldnt say a guy who was bottom 5-10 in completion percentage with the 5th most INTs was "smart with the ball"

12. jerseyjay14

hard to do worse then the last few GMs we had.

13. The Waterboy

Way to nitpick there, I said he had a good season, not elite, not great, not amazing and you want to come back with "he had an average season not a good one".
    As far as interceptions you need to look at interceptions per attempt not the total. Interceptions per attempt by QBs with at least 50 attempts Fitz was 19th.
    Landry Jones, Tony Romo, Kellen Moore, Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez, Zach Mettenberger, Andrew Luck, EJ Manuel, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Cassel, Jimmy Clausen, Austin Davis, Nick Foles, Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota all had higher interception rates.

It seems you read into my post that I thought Fitz was some great addition to the team that we could not function without when I clearly pointed out how he had a great supporting cast and he was SOMEWHAT smart with the ball giving him a good season. Not excellent, not great, good as in adequate, nothing special but did ok.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Definitely looks like you need to bump up the minimum number of attempts on that list. Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston are the only 2 on it that didn't miss significant time.

15. The Waterboy

Manning played in 10 games, Roethlisberger 12, Cassell 9, Luck 7, Flacco 10, Mariota 12, Foles 11. Even if you up the attempts to 100 he is still 13th. Interceptions per attempt is a much better indicator than total INTs was all I was trying to relay.
    Not trying to build Fitz up, he was a decent stop gap nothing more.

#2635 The Waterboy, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  16. jerseyjay14

its not nitpicking to say he had an average season(statistically he was worse then average) when you said he had a good one, and your point was based on the idea he had a good season

the point was, the claim he makes good decisions isnt accurate. even if you want to reduce the field or go by rate or ratio he was poor across the board. an inaccuare passer who turns it over frequently isnt someone making good decisions or executing throws.

17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

It is what it is. Gaily is our QB guru and because he is I don't care what he is called. As for Fitz I never saw him being more than a gap QB but as our starting QB I wish him to be the very best. As far as calling anyone names here are a few from the past.
    RJ Johnson Don't call me late for dinner.
    [​IMG]

Great song
    [​IMG]

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Fitz was better than average last year you are just picking stats to support your argument. He was money in the red zone 30 something TD passes (Jets record) Two 1,000 yd receivers converted some big third down's and did not turn the ball over in bad spots. He has the best pocket presence of any Jets QB since Pennington.

Fitz is frustrating to watch at times because he will sail the ball put balls in the dirt looks awkward throwing. He gets rid of the ball quick makes some great throws and is willing to trust his receivers to make plays (Leads to pics at times). He also a very good leader with the support of the players and preps like payton manning. Do not discount the leadership factor.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Folks are entitled to their opinions here but anyone complaining about the entire year Fitz put up given who he is and his expectations coming in are, IMHO, nuts.

The guy was supposed to be a back up, an afterthought, a nothing.

Instead he became one of the most productive QBs in franchise history and the unquestioned leader of the offense.

No one could have expected what he did for us.

_

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Who has an average season? Fitzpatrick? He had a great season. 31 Td's, 15 picks and over 3,900 yards passing is a great season. To see he had an average season is a joke.