Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jason Cole is a yutz. The Jets don't have much cap space, and Fitz is not that good, is older and more brittle. This would probably be his last year as a starting QB in the NFL, or at least with the Jets. So Mac is supposed to just fall all over himself and just pay Fitz top dollar or whatever he wants? One of the things I love most about Mac is that he's a tough negotiator. He's keeping the salary cap and overall team salary structure in mind. He has dollar values for positions and players in mind, and is not going to be blackmailed into caving. He's going to get players for reasonable contracts or they can go play elsewhere. This is the kind of GM we've been needing for the last 30 years.

2. Beki

Beki Active Member

One thing is sure: more cuts coming, as we currently have 6.2M cap space, which is not enough to sign more than 2 player or only Fitz. A lot of to do ahead of Macc before Monday.

3. NCJetsfan

Yep. It's gonna be a wild, and probably bumpy ride.

4. Beki

Beki Active Member

What makes me nervous that no news about Ferguson's contract, or already decided as easy cut? :O
    No way that we can allow ourself to let him play with 14.1M cap figure.

5. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I know. He may well refuse to take a cut or have already done so, and Mac may be trying to figure out who he can replace him with.

6. Beki

Beki Active Member

Yeah, if he refused not any easy call because Giacomini should be cut too, but replacing your LT and RT in one offseason...well...

7. NCJetsfan

Yeah, but it's at a point where the Jets don't have a lot of choice if they want to keep their QB alive and if they want to improve. Idzik and Tanny screwed the pooch and left a mess for Mac to have to clean up. That's why I have been insisting all along that this was not a "win now" team. There were just too many weak links that needed to be replaced and that takes time.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I hate Jason Cole with a passion, he just goes for headlines with no substance. I think if you made a scatter plot of his "insider buzz" of what he says will happen vs what actually happens, it would actually have a negative correlation.

9. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I know at this point I shouldn’t be surprised about the going rate for QB’s, but I am. These QB salaries are insane. I mean paying mediocre QB’s like elite QB’s is just…….

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind letting Geno, Petty, and a rookie or cheaper vet (RG3?) battle it out if we really have to pay Fitz 15 mil a year

He's not going to be as good going forward and I still have doubts that he will ever be as good as he was last season. Career journeyman who had a great team around him and a weak schedule to be honest

Huge advantage to not have to pay a QB that much as well with all of the other free agents we have

If we can get him for like 10 mil a year or less absolutely hold on to him but his replacement value going forward is not worth much more

#230 King Koopa, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  11. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Considering that Sam Bradford, who hasn't set the world on fire, just got a 2 year 36 million dollar deal (23 mill guaranteed) Fitz just got a lot more expensive.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry to say none of U have your eye on the ball since we only had cap space of 22M at the start of the new calendar NFL year & we just gave Mo 16M which leaves us with 6M room which we need to sign this years draft choices. Who do we cut to free up space is the real question?

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Can we cut fans?

14. championjets69

I hope U R cut #1
    You should be cut #1

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Wrong, unlike you, I actually root for the Jets.

16. championjets69

If U did U would be as equally critical of the NYJs as I am since they have won NOTHING since U have been a NYJ fan is that not correct?

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Well we know now that we cant afford to give Fitz starting money,

So we say we want fitz to come back to "compete" for the spot, and say "teammates" want an open comp.

LOL! yeah right.. nice lip service though.

It's smart way of negotiating if your gonna low ball somebody.. but next time Bowles should stick to his "nobody is safe" philosophy as far as starters go and NOT say to the media that Fitz will be our day 1 starter again. Just to avoid any conflict during negotiating.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I think it might make sense for us to be players for Osweiler. If Fitz wants $14/15 mil a year, which seems to be well within his market value, I think I'd rather use that money on a young guy who has the potential to be a long term starter. Osweiler is only 25 (same age as Petty) and already has 4 years of development under an all-time great, so the Broncos would've essentially saved us time and done the dirty work for us. It's a huge risk because he's only started 7 games and could easily bust out, but I'm intrigued by the option. He was a good prospect coming out, has 4 years behind Peyton under his belt and has all the physical tools you want for Gailey's offense/New England weather. And all the Broncos have raved about him as a leader.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

If we could get Brock for the same price as Fitz I think it's a no brainer. Brock has a future, Fitz really doesn't.

20. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I really hope we get this done before FA starts or it's going to be a close call if we bring him back. Fitz will have higher offers on the table its between him securing his financial future or coming back for less to play in a system he knows he fits in with weapons he's been wanting his whole career.
    This Bradford contract might screw us over big time.