Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I don't mind starting Geno, but the leash is pretty much non-existent. The first time he does his usual bit, ex 15yd drop for a sack, he is done, for good

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Stop it
    Nobody is trading with NE, just stop this nonsense

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

lol

Idzik should have gotten JG but of course Bellichek saw his opportunity

In any event, I don't care if we trade inside or outside our Division but we have a serious problem here at QB

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we are stacking the draft board based on whether or not fitz signs we are already starting out bad.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Jets start offseason activities on Monday. Fitzpatrick still a Free Agent.................... You would think a leader would want to be there.

Having said that, he was coming off a broken leg last year. Thought to be the back-up til mid-August, and that turned out alright. So we continue to wait................

6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I wonder what Mac and Bowles "Cut off" date is? They have to have one, in order to sort out their draft plans.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It should enable Petty to get a LOT more reps, and give the Jets a better idea of where he is in his development.

ajax, Brook!, PulseJet and 2 others like this.
  8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Mac has stated many times that he doesn't draft out of "need".

Fitzs return will not impact Macs plans to take (or not take) a qb.

FJF likes this.
  9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm really happy the jets still haven't caved and overpaid Fitz.

ajax, All Gas No Shake, dmw and 2 others like this.
  10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Fitz. is a journeyman who had a good year surrounded by some talent and with a weak schedule. Please don't commit to him long term.

11. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

@RapSheet
    Barring a significant breakthrough, #Jets & Ryan Fitzpatrick are not expected to have a deal before the draft. Adds intrigue to their draft

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I was as big a Fitz supporter as they come. I was happy they got him for a late pick, happy he got the start, and enjoyed watching him last year. He is a very good player on THIS team. But if the Jets have offered him north of $8 mio, no other team has offered him a contract, and he puts them in a spot where they need to look at Brian stinking Hoyer, then Fitz can go eat a dick.

I'll take Hoyer for $5 mio over Fitz at $14 mio any day of the week. Or roll the dice with Geno and when he craps the bed lets see what Petty can do. Fine by me as I got a feeling that kid can be good.

FlaJet likes this.
  13. Beki

Beki Active Member

Give Hoyer 5-6M/year or draft a rookie and move on from Fitz, that was enough.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Front office is a smart one, they won't budge one bit. Onto plan B, C, D or E.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

With all due respect to those that believe that the only solution is Fitz I want to caveat that with a big huge if and only if. Money. He is barely worth half what he is asking.
    Why, because Fitz is a stop gap, and let us not forget that. The difference between Fitz and Geno or Hoyer is not that monumental abys some of you make it sound. May be 1-2 games if he retains his last years performance, and that is another big if.
    A few comments:

1 - Fitz is not, can not and will not be our long term solution so we can ill afford to hamstring ourselves with a hefty three year contract for a guy that we all hope can be replaced by our long term solution within one year, if we are lucky.
    2- To put so much faith into Fitz after last year performance is a further testament as to how badly we need to find our own franchise leader. I continue to remind myself that the venom some spew on Hoyer today is no different than what was said about Fitz last year. He was brought in as a back up, no more and no less.
    3- While Fitz kept us competitive there was no doubt that we need far better performance at that position to propel us to the next level
    4- We can beat Devin Smith to pieces all day long, but we will never know how good he can become with a little more size and maturity if we don't have a QB that can throw the long ball. Fitz throws at that distance are a dying Quail no one but the defense can catch.
    5- Marshall made Fitz, Fitz did not make Marshall better. How would Marshall improve Geno is a huge unknown.
    6- In my humble opinion Mac is already looking at the potential of starting Geno if all fails. After all is one back up QB versus a better back up QB based on last year.
    7- Fitz or no Fitz, we are not moving into the big leagues till we find our real QB, and we should do nothing to jeopardize that. Not for Fitz or Mo or no one else.

DoubleDecker87, Jets_Grinch and dmw like this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with this. Why is Fitz holding out? Nobody is going to sign him for the money he wants. The only thing I can think of is that he has saved a ton of cash and would rather retire than play for what the Jets are offering him. Still, he would make 8 or 9 million. That's pretty darn good, especially for a journeyman who had one good season and didn't even get his team into the playoffs that season.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick is a journeyman for a reason. This fan base and franchise has embraced him and he has acted like an ass hat this off season. If/When he comes back the fans will still support him, but won't forget this contract demand saga. And if the Jets decide to go elsewhere, no fan would blame them now. Including me, who wanted Fitz as a top off season priority.

18. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

sign hoyer, forget fitz, draft a qb. Let hoyer, geno, petty battle it out for starter. one of those three gets cut prior to starting the season. cont to develop the new draft pick and petty if he stays.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

He played last year for less than half that amount, was generally healthy when the season ended, and was playing above his head with a great supporting cast. So I dont believe he was thinking retirement. I think he just overestimated the Jets interest in retaining him and now its a game of chicken.

But he has to realize he's pissing off the fan base. Enoughs enough. Go make triple what you made last year, you hump.

20. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with this and i think you left out another HUGE aspect in Petty. If Mac goes with Geno and he stumbles why not throw the kid in and see what he can do. Who knows what will happen with this talent around him and another offseason/training camp. Fitz is getting way more respect then he deserves here. As a fan i am very thankful to him for last year. Trying to put my feet in Mac's shoes i just can't justify paying him what he wants going forward.