Report: "Zach Wilson was fundamentally falling apart"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Nov 22, 2021.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

This isn't a Gameday thread.

There's plenty of factors why, but people have already gone into that ad nauseam.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mac Jones is a rhythmic distributor in an offense that has prized that characteristic for at least the last 7 seasons. He's playing with an OC who fully understands the offense and who has been there for much of the last decade. He's playing with players that understand the offense and their role in it. Most importantly he is just doing his job in that offense. No hero ball there and no reason for it either.

KY Jets Fan and Ozymandias like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There Is absolutely nothing that suggests this would be a fact. I have a very hard time believing Wilson would be able to pull off what Jones Is doing In NE. Mac Jones can actually hit the short passes, the easy throws, play basic QB. Wilson apparently can not.

legler82, JetBlue, 94Abraham and 4 others like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Even so. Going Into this game, with our backup QB situation, I believe we somehow became the 9th best passing team In the league with Wilson out of the lineup. I believe our offensive stats improved significantly In every facet almost with Wilson out of the lineup.

I do not believe our offense, the scheme, the OC, the coaches, are the actual problem at this point.

I agree with the structure, level of consistency, wisdom, It's superior overall In NE. It doesn't mean our offense Is exactly trash though, our offense has looked far more dynamic lately than NE's has at any point In the year. With Wilson out of the lineup.

What a frustrating time as a Jet fan. Yikes.

Br4d likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nonsensical argument because it’ll never happen so it’s irrelevant to use it as some sort of supporting evidence.

hornblower likes this.
  6. Br4d

The Jets single problem on offense this year is Zach Wilson.

I mean the TE's really are not good either but TE's don't make you or break you and QB's do.

IIMeanDeanII and tomdeb like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you think that Jones would be "poised, accurate, a good decision-maker" on the Jets, you're wrong.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Hah!!! Man, I wish I thought of that first. Awesome!

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

After seeing how our backups ran the offense, I think there's a decent chance Jones would look good here.

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Wilson has his issues but I definitely believe that for whatever reason they don’t play to his strengths….He was drafted so high because of his mobility within the pocket/ ability to throw on the run and arm talent/ downfield accuracy.

We are running a ton of quick hitters and timing passes and not nearly enough (any today?) of what Wilson is actually good at.

I understand you can’t use that as your whole offense but we really should be taking much more shots downfield, and generally just getting Wilson on the run a helluva lot more. He’s not good right now being a standard drop back/ timing route QB

11. Sundayjack

I’m not saying I disagree, because we’re all just guessing. But, a young QB playing on a team with a solid defense and a young QB playing without will never be an apples to apples comparison. Put Zach Wilson on the Patriots roster and I can’t say he’d be better than Mac Jones, but I feel comfortable saying he’d be a better version of Zach Wilson, if only because of the defense.

12. Br4d

I think the Belichik screaming would have worn him down by now. That or he'd be sitting on the bench watching Cam Newton play.

I think Saleh needs to develop the Primal Scream method of coaching.

Pepsiguy5 and Sundayjack like this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah not to pile on Zach after a tough day but I'm not so sure Belichik would have even let him on the field yet if he was a patriot. You kind of gotta earn it up there.

14. Sundayjack

Heh. As long as there’s a method behind it, count me in. Plus, the thought of a full stadium of fans joining in would be delightful.

Centiment likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Right now Mac Jones looks better than most QBs in the League, a top 10 at the position and better than any rookie QB, 4 of whom were drafted ahead of him. So it's not a knock on Zach that Mac looks better than him. I am afraid NE did end up with a good one - I was really worried Mac might fall to them and then be really good. Unfortunately looks like this is what's happening. With all that said, I don't think there is anyone on this board who wanted Mac over Zach. Hindsight vision is 20/20. Yes, Mac looks good on a much better team, and Zach is still struggling on one of the worst teams in the League, but Mac's success at this stage still does not mean Zach is a bust.

#155 Borat, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There’s also a reason why I’m sure Belichick never would’ve touched Wilson coming from BYU playing a cupcake schedule against G5 teams and opted for Mac Jones who came from a team that successfully ran the full SEC gauntlet for the first time in history because of the Covid-year scheduling.

I wasn’t a Mac Jones guy whatsoever. He reminded me a ton of AJ McCarron. But there’s a reason he’s succeeding and it has nothing to do with how strong his arm is or isn’t.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Sooo does Wilson suck? Didn't get to watch the game traveling back home. I was in favor of not running him back out there for awhile

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Dude could barely complete 5-6 yard passes numerous times. No deep shots (think he needs Davis back) and was careless with the ball. He is a bit slower but he did improve in half 2. Just need to build. His ceiling is Dak it looks like but we don’t have an OL or Zeke or Amari Cooper lol

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I watched his pro day and it was like everyone was just waiting for THAT pass and when he did it everyone got big grins on their faces and started looking pleased with themselves. I'm wondering if we drafted a guy because he threw one amazing pass completely unopposed.

But then... in preseason he showed great accuracy if I remember correctly. I know that is night and day compared to real games, but it suggests his issues are mental and if/when the game slows down for him and he starts to relax, maybe he will get better? I don't know. I have a sickening feeling of inevitability about the whole thing. I'm still rooting for the kid, but right now he is awful.

dmw, RPOZ51 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  20. Br4d

If the Wilson got to play against the Jet's pass D with the DL not allowed to hit him he'd look a lot better. That was the story in camp and the Jets fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Ralebird likes this.