Report: "Zach Wilson was fundamentally falling apart"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Nov 22, 2021.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I've worked as a journalist and that sort of stuff would have got me hauled up in front of the editor to explain myself.

Brook! likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You'd have more than 35 seconds to explain yourself though

abyzmul likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Fundaments are soooo overrated....

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good question. The Pats are 7-4. They 2-4 in their first 6 games, beating us and the Texans, and losing to the Dolphins, Saints, Bucs, and Cowboys. Since then they're 5-0. I don't watch the Pats or keep up with other teams, so other than the Dolphins, whom I know try to take away the run and the short pass, I don't how the other teams play D or what their scheme is designed to do. I know that NE has a veteran team with a very good OC and a HOF HC. Evidently, that's enough to overcome Jones. I guess it's kind of like the Jets in 2009 and 2010 with Sanchez. They just wanted him not to lose the game, and let the rest of the team do their thing, but Jones is much better than Sanchez could ever dream of being, plus he played for Saban, so he was experienced and his adjustment to the NFL wasn't quite as big as the other rookie QBs.

rickjet, SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, it’s the online article and its clickbait headline I have the real issue with.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…it’s always kind of been felt that Jones had a high floor but a low ceiling. He’s not gonna bust as he’s cerebral and will take what’s there. But he’s not a physical specimen and he won’t carry a team on his back to playoff wins. At least that was the thinking. We’ll see. He does have the advantage of playing on a very good team with the best coaching staff, so there’s that.

but I agree that had we drafted him, I think he’d be struggling behind our OL.

regardless, Wilson it is…now he needs to show up and be better than he was before. The OL has improved. Moore has come on. Crowder is back (I think he missed some of Zach’s games). Carter I know is out but Coleman/Johnson are serviceable. He’s had a few weeks to watch three different QBs run the system and do pretty well in it. So these next few games will say a lot about Wilson.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

This is how the NFL is now. I feel like no one gives QBs any time to sit and develop. We just throw rookies to the sharks.

Then so many of these top drafted QBs have never known anything but success and winning. Suddenly they are really hit with adversity for the first time in their lives and they struggle to handle it.

8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Nope, spot on, that's EXACTLY how I remember 2001. Brady wasn't mobile, didn't have a great arm and people were calling him a game manager. Even after that first Super Bowl, with the tuck rule to get them there, a low scoring Super Bowl and Vinatieri saving the day, we looked at it more as a team that got all the breaks. It wasn't until a few years later that people really started to believe in him. Hell, many of us (me included) were calling him a great game manager playing in a great system up until he went to Tampa and did it alone. There have been people who looked at Brady as the GOAT for the past decade plus, and nearly as many who only started to begrudgingly give him that credit within the past couple of years.

So, I am not going to sit here and trash Mac Jones and say he'll never be more than a game manager. With that team, that coach, that system - he can develop slowly into a great QB while being a "game manager" until then.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Tough to have an all rookie coaching staff coupled with a rookie QB... Jets should have made sure to replace Knapp after his untimely death.

ouchy likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm probably the biggest Zack WIlson supporter here, and I believe he is the future of this team, but if continues to struggle more than he succeeds, my best solution would be to somehow get Brady or Rodgers here for a year or two and let Zack sit and be backup to one of them. Maybe it's impossible to make that happen, but if Wilson is going to sit he ought to sit and learn from the best, not some washed up or mediocre guy.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No way Brady or Rodgers would want to come here. You might have a crack at convincing Russell Wilson to do so, but I don’t really think any big time QB wants to come to a decade+ long rebuild like this.

Jets79 and SOJAZ like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but throw a shitload of money and endorsement deals at them and you never know...Favre came. Keep in mind these are guys who have cemented HOF careers and nothing they do with the Jets will affect that. Of the two, I'd say Brady is the more likely - assuming he doesn't hate the Jets like BB does - because he's already won a bunch of SBs, whereas I think Rodgers will want to go some place he can win one.

Pipe dreams, maybe, but if Zack has to sit, I think this is the best course to take.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Dude there’s just no way they’d even consider it. Brady is hyper concerned about his legacy at all times and you’re right - Rodgers wants a shot at another ring. Favre didn’t have much of a choice as it was via trade and he jetted immediately after to the Vikings which is where he wanted to be.

Brady’s never been about the money because he is married to a woman worth more than he is.

Wilson is not sitting anymore whether it’s the better course of action or not. That ship has sailed for the nitwits that run the Jets.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why not just get Mahomes? Just back the old truck up.

stinkyB, apjbfc and FJF like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

We don’t have journalistic integrity here in the states anymore. We take the cowboy approach to “breaking news.”

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

We have the pasty white version of him.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's like Chris Simms needed a blond version of Mahomes to exist.

18. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think the most likely scenario if Zach fails is to continue to build the rest of the team and bring in a solid veteran like a Derek Carr type--when the team is built up we can always do what the Bills did with Allen and get our guy later.

It does seem, barring a big change in the story line, we are all starting to see that Wilson might not be the answer. He will have a lot to overcome for that not to be the case.

Lawrence has the same amount of interceptions and has played like 4 games more.....scary.

If Zach continues throwing pick off parties in his return--I'm ready to throw in the towel on him however the team is obligated to give him at least all of next year to prove different.

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Wilson has taken a HUGE step up from BYU to the NFL. He’s also played some good defenses in the Pats and Titans.

way too early to say he’s not the guy…and also way too early to say he is.

I’m in a “let’s see” kind of mode. Coming out, I was concerned about the BYU cupcake COVID schedule and figured he has a high ceiling due to his arm talent, but also a high bust potential due to the level of competition he’s faced.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him succeed, but I also wouldn’t be shocked to see him bust….it’s 50/50 to me.

but still early. It’s good that the OL is stabilizing a little bit, and it’s good that the skill players are hopefully coming on in Moore and Carter. I also think his injury was a blessing in disguise….it wasn’t serious or season ending, and it gave the coaches a nice excuse to sit him for a few weeks and let him watch and see how the offense is supposed to be run.

if he can settle down and start taking the easy throws that are there to be made and picking better spots to attack downfield, I would hope he can make it.

we’ll see

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are piece of work. He had one bad multiple pick game. You are so biased what are you trying to prove.

Nobody is seeing that Zach might not be the guy. He has not played in 4 weeks. What we saw is a young QB having rookie issues. To use TL as an example when has been arguably worse than Zach just show your bias.

I am not sure of your agenda but to be actively rooting for your rookie QB to fail make me wonder if you really are a Jets fan.

JackBower and ColoradoContrails like this.