Report: "Zach Wilson was fundamentally falling apart"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Nov 22, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fundamentals are the coachable thing, the basics. The headline doesn't make sense. Like saying "a torrential sprinkle".

FJF likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Limited college reps? He started for three years.

dmw likes this.
  3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yeah, and to Chris Mortensen I say - shut up, you dumb cunt. This was irresponsible. I kept reading for something that actually REPORTS news. What we get instead is his best shot at building a story from the top down. Jets hire John Beck => John Beck helped Zach Wilson with fundamentals at BYU => Zach Wilson’s fundamentals must be “falling apart”. No attempt to quote any source, even for a generic, organizational denial. Lazy dickface.

Here’s an another theory using the same basic facts: Zach Wilson is a young, talented kid playing behind a weak offensive line and the Jets - REMARKABLY!! - took the proactive step of investing in a coach to do nothing but watch and work with him until the organization could (hopefully) build a team around him. That’s a good thing and, frankly, it pisses me off to see the Jets do something good only to have a lazy reporter spin it negative, based solely on his own conjecture.

nycarl, KY Jets Fan, cval and 5 others like this.
  4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Full disclosure, I had concerns about Zach Wilson coming out of college. Maybe not the same concerns as some. Without going through his whole background, my concern focused on the culture shock of the New York market and lifestyle. About as far from his Utah up-bringing as you can get. My solution? Geishas. A friggin’ team of them. Like, 50 or more. Paid to do nothing but tend to Zach’s every need. Traditional ones. Not these modern-day pseudo-geishas that shop at Talbots, call Uber Eats and wear surgical gloves for a pregame handjob. But don’t get me started on the decline of the geisha industry.

nycarl likes this.
  5. abyzmul

That would make for some interesting soaking. I mean, when would they make that annoying crying noise?

6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think going into this offseason you go all in on both lines via draft. In free agency, add another weapon or two for Zach, along with some other defensive pieces.

Next year will be year 2 in the same system for everyone.

As much as I've been a critic of Zach, which many of you have beat me up for, I think next year is the true evaluation year for him. If he looks as indecisive and in disarray as he's been this year--we probably have to bring in a vet the next year like the Colts did with Wentz OR draft an available QB in the 2023 draft.

It wouldn't actually set us back as much as you would think--as long as the rest of team is set up for success....essentially you would just insert the new QB in an already solid team. This is what we did with Sanchez and free agent Favre.

My prediction (feel free to quote me): Zach is not going to end up being the guy. I sniff these things out and the coaching staff is hiding Zach because he is truly lost right now and the game is too big for him. The injury is not the reason he hasn't come back yet--at least not the only reason. I do think the team will be pretty damn good next year though and we find our guy the following year to plug into a pretty cool team! I think the chasm will be too big for Zach and the Josh Allen jump is a unicorn, he's also more big, strong, athletic and durable than Zach as it is.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The common denominator among all of the young quarterbacks struggles is bad offensive line play that they’ve all compounded by holding on to the ball for too long.

More and more teams are playing cover 2 against them as well and forcing them to find holes over the middle against zone defenses which they’ve all been incapable of doing. Part of that comes from a lack of chemistry with veteran receivers that understand where the holes are at the same time the young quarterback recognizes them.

#27 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    cval likes this.
  8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

We don’t have to have ZW to be a great QB, just a solid efficient QB next year and let it take care of itself. We can’t give up on the kid and at the same time we can’t rush him. Agree we need to build around him and hopefully White who will be the solid back up QB.

I worry about the draft because the Jets have a need for nearly every positions except for a QB, and may not be enough to help out ZW. So JD has to hit the FA well this off season. Carter should be solid RB next year to help the Iffense and his QB move the chains.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The OLine doesn’t suck entirely though. They have one player who is bad and is near tops in the league in pressures with Van Roten but the rest are average or better. Fant is having a career year as well. This line is in much better shape overall than what it has been in the last 5 years. With a healthy Mekhi and an upgrade at RG in the off-season, the OL is looking up for next year.

legler82, Brook!, cval and 1 other person like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'll see it when I believe it... :confused:

ouchy likes this.
  11. Jetsin2029

Jetsin2029 Member

Hindsight is 20/20 but the Jets blew it by not trading down in the draft and taking Mac Jones. A.) because Mac will be the best pro and B.] to keep him from New England,,,not to mention the additional picks.

ultimately the Wilson pick will get Douglas fired in a couple of years. Like most GMs he fell in love with the arm strength of Wilson and disregarded the intangibles of Jones. As Brady has said, being a QB is more than how far you can throw and your time in the 40.

ouchy likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!! Dude, you are clueless, and have no idea what you're talking about. Mac Jones would have gotten killed on this team with this CS and OL in the first 6 games. He is a game manager, and that is not the type to get you into the playoffs and win a SB unless you have a great team around him and a HOF HC.

13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Mac Jones (riding the pine for a year) + (as it stand now) 2, 5 (Seattle), 7 (Miami), and 14 (Philly) sounds to me like a better situation.

Philly wanted to trade up but only for Wilson so the above situation is 100% realistic.

ouchy likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I remember the days when a 'story' had to have more than a single quote to qualify as newsworthy.

Competent grammar was also considered essential, not just a nice little bonus if you could manage it.

Brook!, apjbfc, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Mortensen called the recent hire of John Beck, Wilson’s personal QB coach, to the Jets staff “suggests as we once showed you, fundamentally Zach Wilson was falling apart.”

“They’re trying to get him grounded back to his fundamentals,” Mortensen said.

Soo....this is entirely Mortensen's speculation as to why the Jets hired Beck.

Got it.

LOL another gem of an article

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is going to be fine. He will be a solid, if not great, starting QB in the NFL. He just needs to keep learning and growing in this system. He has the tools to succeed. How about giving the kid a chance? He actually was looking pretty good in the Patriots game before he was injured. I can't say the same for the rest of the team in the game.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  17. abyzmul

So basically, another ESPN employee stepped even further than inserting themselves into a story by fabricating the story completely and blatantly.

This is exactly what Schefter did on draft day when he pulled that Aaron Rodgers shit and then admitted he did it to Dan Patrick.

Fuck Disney.

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yeah. The guy has no mobility and he would get crushed by the pass rush against the Jets.

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hes been working out with beck this entire time. This article is speculation garbage. There are no specifics to anything here. A click baity link

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you’ve seen Mortensen and Schefter together on TV the past couple years, it looks like they let Mortensen keep his job so he doesn’t wither away but they don’t actually pay him.

“Here Grandpa, you can break the news about the Dolphins 3rd string linebacker having Covid.”

Sundayjack and The Dark Knight like this.