Report: "Zach Wilson was fundamentally falling apart"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Nov 22, 2021.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Zach is impressing me with his toughness recently. He took some tough hits yesterday. Love his mindset too listening to his postgame. He has what it takes to be a great NFL QB, but he needs the game to slow down for him. It's a weird problem to have, but a good one. He can make all the big plays but is having issues with the smaller ones. You have to assume he can figure it out, and the best way to do that is on the field, in these final 6 games. I just get the feeling that one day it will click and he will never look back. I think he will be one of those QB's who takes a big jump in Year 2 as well. We will see.

truthbtold, Borat, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even as big a Wilson supporter as I am, I can't make a guaranteed prediction of how he'll turn out - although I tend to agree with your prediction. Still, what he did in college - "cake" schedule or not - and his exceptional physical tools, combined with his perfectionism, argue strongly for your prediction coming true, more so than him becoming a bust. But in any case, after 6 games in the NFL no one knows one way or the other.

What I don't get is what is the agenda for all these Wilson bashers almost foaming at the mouth while they pick apart every mistake, while ignoring any positives? Maybe it's just a defense mechanism after years of perpetual disappointment, guarding against getting hopes up only to see them crushed. That I can understand, but what else could it be? Whatever it is, it's not helping Zack or the Jets be any better.

Borat and Noam like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never understand the negativity some fans and the media have towards the Jets. I agree any prediction right now is just a guess. People saying Wilson will be a bust are guessing just as much as the people saying he will be the next Rodgers or Mahomes. I think he will be fine as long as the Jets continue to support him and properly build around him in the future.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Probably the same pundits here that said Josh Allen was a terrible quarterback during his first season.

They were adamant in their opinion... now silent when proven wrong.

IIMeanDeanII and truthbtold like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Well I have to admit I was a Josh Allen doubter.:oops: That said, I never wished him to fail.

But I find it interesting that those who DID believe Allen would succeed pointed to his great physical gifts, especially his strong arm, as reasons why he would eventually succeed with the right coaching and situation. So I find it hard to understand that many of those guys are among those now claiming Wilson will never succeed. No, I'm not saying Zack has as strong an arm as Alle or Mahomes, but he's not far off from that level, and IMO he has a quicker release than Allen. What Allen (and Mahomes) had, Wilson also has: physical gifts that can't be taught.

Acad23 and Borat like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re ignoring the fact that Allen’s transformation from year one to nearly being the league MVP in year three is relatively unheard of. It’s a complete and utter anomaly especially when you consider that they’ve done it with an awful running game from their backs the past three years and counting.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would go as far as to say that if Zach is average/below average (like Allen was) after his second year, chances to become league MVP candidate in the 3d year are rather small. However, we are only little over half a season in. There are plenty of QBs who made a leap in their second season. And in Zach's case the first one isn't even over yet.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We’ll I don’t think anyone is saying he’s already a bust, or cut him, or replace him in the draft next year.

I think people are saying he’s played poorly overall…we had plenty of excuses in a poor OL and receivers who drop a lot of balls, and a new OC who was terrible at calling plays. But then we had three other QBs of varying experience and pedigree come in and every single one has looked worlds better in the same offense with the same play caller and the same OL. Yes, the OL has played better of late…yes Moore has come on as late, etc. but honestly how much of that is cause and how much is effect. Did LeFleur suddenly learn to call plays that much better? Sure the move to the booth has been good, but come on…

and only 6 games, yes, but we continue to see the same mistakes over and over…piss poor accuracy in the short game, holding the ball too long, inaccurate throws, taking sacks, throwing up stupid picks. And it hasn’t improved yet. So now we have the rust excuse.

the same shit we’ve seen in Darnold we are seeing in Zach, but now we have so many excuses. For me, I’m not ready to give up on the kid after 6 or 7 games….he’ll get next year for sure, and rightfully so.

but I’d like to see SOME progress. Anything. How about a 300 yard game, or a game with a TD or 2 and no picks. Or how about hitting 68% completion rate? Something.

We need to see, somewhere in these last few games, some flash … and not just one throw like against Tennessee…we need to see some sign that he can get there.

because as much as we WANT to believe he can get there…he hasn’t done anything on the field to show evidence of that yet.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What's going on with Zach aren't normal rookie struggles. The only QBs this century who looked this bad as rookies and went on to be anything other than total busts are Alex Smith and Jared Goff. So as much as it sucks to say, Zach's probably going to be a bust.

legler82 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm not saying that Wilson will become like Allen - OTOH, I'm not ruling it out either. I'm using Allen to make the point that a physically gifted QB can overcome a lot of shortcomings if those shortcomings are teachable, and the QB applies himself. Likewise, Wilson is a physically gifted QB, and has shown that he can learn and improve, and has tremendous drive to excel as evidenced by his career going back to Pop Warner. So it makes no sense to declare him a bust after 6 damn games while other people touted Allen despite his struggles with accuracy in college and his first NFL season.

And there are two other things to take into account:

1. Wilson has shown much better accuracy - at all point on the field - than Allen ever has, despite Zack's recent struggles.
    2. Allen went into a situation with a great CS that knows what they're doing, that actually built an offense specifically to Allen's strengths while minimizing his weaknesses, and the GM put the right pieces around him.

We don't yet know if the right ingredients are there for Zack, but I'm hopeful they are. I think Saleh IS a good HC, but he's a rookie, and LaFleur is a good OC but he's also a rookie. We'll see what happens, but it's more likely to me that Wilson will succeed, and not be a bust, as so many here are claiming him to be after 6 damn games.

Borat likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Lots of experts here have called him a bust and to replace him.

I get the angst over his lack of progress... but the kid gutted out a win yesterday when he could have turtled up.

Give him some credit ffs.... or would you rather see Flacko close out the season?

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

You're like the guy who drives down the road and points out all the trash and litter while ignoring the beautiful scenery around you.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Dude. What in the world are you taaaaaalking about?

The rest of the post isn’t even worth responding when you throw nonsense like the bold out there.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I do believe the Doom Prophet user-name is available... ;)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Again, Zack has struggled, but there was a big difference in play and play calling during Zack's first 5 games and when he went out on injury. The OL played much better, the play calling was changed and LaFleur moved upstairs to where he could get a better feel for the game, They got a better handle on which players could do what. In short, there was significant change between when Zack played earlier in the season and now.

And how you can expect anyone to sit out four weeks and then just come right back in like nothing happened - let alone a rookie who has only played 5 games up to that point - is completely unrealistic. Sure, I was hoping that he'd come out and shine, but I didn't expect it. And yes, I was concerned about some of the mistakes he made yesterday, but he also made some good plays against a defense that's much better than the record would indicate, and he showed improvement from the start of the game to the end and got a win.

If you were a Bills fan I bet you'd have called for Allen to be cut loose too.

16. ColoradoContrails

Wilson had the highest accuracy rating in college. He showed he still has that accuracy in preseason. Allen never showed that. Are you saying that Wilson lost his ability to throw accurately just because he's struggled in his first 6 games?

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I admit to being that guy when driving through these parts.

[​IMG]

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

College is irrelevant. Allen is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the league. He’s top ten in completion percentage again this year and finished fourth last year.

Allen never showed what? Accuracy in college in the hardest stadium in the country to throw in? Who cares? He’s accurate now. Wilson has not been an accurate passer thus far. Can he be? Sure. But he’s not and saying he’s more accurate than Allen has ever been is a fucking ludicrous statement.

#238 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I agree. Throwing the ball in an outdoor stadium in Wyoming (one of the windiest states in the US) is no easy feat. Wilson may of been accurate in college but right now, he has problems making basic throws that college QBs should be making. When he is completing passes, quite a bit of them are low or behind and isn’t giving his receivers much room for YAC. Like many others have stated, the NFL game is too fast for him right now.

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Allens' first 6 NFL games he had 5 INTs, 2 TDs, and a 54% Comp %. Do you think the Bills should've got rid of him?

And do you think Wilson played in a domed stadium? He played in much the same conditions Allen did. Kudos to Josh for turning it around, but to dismiss Wilson's career accuracy because he's struggled in his first six games is what's ludicrous.

Borat likes this.