Report: Zach Wilson to start vs Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Nov 23, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe you're both right.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

By then perhaps the new CS excuse will be off the board, Zach won't be a rookie anymore and our roster will be filled with grizzled old vets. ..

abyzmul likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, it makes sense, and I agree that he has to be better, but too many here seem to forget that Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 years at first. Steve Young hardly saw the field for the first 5 years. All of us - yes I include myself - have a tendency to expect that these top college QBs will come right in and light it up like they did in college - even though we tell ourselves not to do that. And then when they struggle - as even the great ones did - we say "Bust!", "Never should've wasted the pick on him!", and look to quickly throw him on the scrap heap and grab the next "great" QB. I think even JD, Saleh, and LaFleur fell victim to this thinking.

Despite his mistakes, I saw some legitimate flashes from Zack so far. I think with the proper game plan and better protection and weapons he can do a lot better, but we'll see.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's kind of the crux though.. I would have been fine If they decided to redshirt Wilson so he can learn the offense, see how things are ran, tweek his game behind the scenes, go through that process like a Mahomes or Rodgers. That probably would've been the best move In all honesty. That ship has sailed though.

If you are going to put a rookie QB out there, right out the gate, you are to expect some lumps and rookie mistakes. Absolutely. What we've seen thus far though, has been unacceptable overall. The status quo now a days Is to be able to lean on this young guys coming out, since several of them are showing all-star talent right out of the gate. That expectation and bar Is super high because of It.

Now. We have a chance to see what a little break will do for this young kid. Handcuffs gotta come off and this kid has to take what the defense gives him first, add In what makes him special second. I'm hopeful.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I feel like this is a deceptively critical game for Zach Wilson. I'm not saying if he comes out there, has a clunker, and things get away from him that there is absolutely no hope of him ever turning it around in the future.

But it would be REALLY encouraging to see some confidence and improvement. He doesn't have to win and he can throw a pick or two depending on circumstances. But I want to see a little more Mike White vs. Cincy type performance where everything looks like it has a plan and a purpose. And then build on that in games to come.

6. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Keys for ZACH to win today.......

1) Zach must have to have rediscovered ACCURACY. His accuracy from 0 to 20 yards has been horrid. He MUST start hitting his receivers in stride. When the receiver is facing him? Put the ball right between the numbers. When the receiver is headed down field? Lead the receiver and drop the ball into the receivers outstretched arms.

2) Take what the defense gives you. Zach should have learned by sitting that he doesn't have to force things. All he has to do is take what the defense gives him. Play BORING football as Saleh put it. Hit his receivers ACCURATELY on the flat. Throw the ball with authority but just take what the defense gives you and those large chunk will just open up organically as time goes on.

3) Do NOT turn the ball over. Zach has been very careless with his throws since the beginning of the season. Way more interceptions than touchdowns. That MUST change as that's the very fundamentals of the game.

If he play abiding by the above principles the Jets most definitely can win today. It's just my hope that the defense actually shows up today? Because honestly I have no idea what their problem is?

7. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

This is the most disgustingly repulsive play I've seen the Jets play all ducking season. The Texans are so bad the Jets should be winning 14-0. Instead soon enough the Jets will be down 28-3. Has the fucking OL actually even showed up today. The defense is going to give up 40 to the Texans.

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I literally have no hope for this kid, he looks terrible out their, can't wait for the articles in the offseason how Wilson is working out with some QB guru, then the season hes still going to bed hideous, all 3 of your depth QBs shined, for Wilson

Centiment likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What worries me is that the Jets will spend 2 seasons trying to 'fix' Zach Wilson without being proactive in acquiring an actually good QB because that would 'affect Zach's development'.

From my point of view Zach Wilson is good for only one thing right now and that is being part of a multi-piece QB competition to find a great QB to lead the Jets moving forward.

All the potential in the world will not get him on the field once the Jets acquire another guy good enough to play on the field now.

Centiment likes this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

He came up limping that one scramble out of the ez.

Fields an TLaw also look pretty crap

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is because it is hard to play QB in the NFL Give these kids a chance, we do not know if they will be good or bad yet.

The Jets are 0fer on franchise QBs so we panic quickly. Let's hope we see some growth this season and he takes a big step next. The Jets as a team should be much better next season as well and that will help Zach. It takes 3-5 years to learn to play QB in the NFL but you can usually tell by year 3 if a QB will be special.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's ok, it'll be just in time for the kid on the Sooners to enter the draft....

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes. They must be in the QB market in the offseason. The NFL is the big boy league. If the Jets have a chance to land an established veteran they must go for it. No time to worry about Wilson’s feelings

Br4d likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agree with this preview…unfortunately, he didn’t do ANY of those things. He most certainly did not find accuracy, especially on the short throws. He didn’t take what the defense gave him because he couldn’t make the easy throws that were there to be made…he’s still throwing the short stuff too hard with no touch. And he of course turned the ball over on a stupid decision to throw at a receivers back when he wasn’t looking.

I’m super disappointed in him

we got the win because the OL and running game and LeFleur called a safe game against a trash opponent. Had this been a decent team we’d have lost again.

I know it’s only been a handful of games for Zach, so I’m trying to be patient and take the long view, but I’m losing patience because I see the same shit over and over and it’s not improving. The same shit we saw with Darnold that didn’t improve in three years. So I’m worried. I don’t need to see him throw for 300 with 3 TDS and no picks every game….but I’d like to not see the same problems over and over and over. And yes, I know even Darnold gave us a 300 yard game here and there…

RPOZ51 likes this.
  15. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

2023 will be a strong QB draft so let’s give Wilson one more year.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

yes. thats my point. young kids on bad teams. and that if we picked either of thoe others we'd be seeing the same crappy qbing. i am not predicting anything about zach. just waiting and seeing.

mac jones is surprising millions.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This year is probably the least college football I've watched in a long time, but that kid on OK as a true freshman shows some serious potential

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Established vet is fine but This is a REBUILD, you stick with Zach through next year as well. Stop with the half assed rebuilding and trying to take shortcuts. This roster isn’t ready to be contenders. Surround and get more talent at the skill spots and see what he can do. You don’t quit on a kid unless he’s like JaMarcus Russell

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Most fans have somehow convinced themselves he is. It's embarrassing. Luckily fans don't run franchises. Ours has been run terrible but I promise you it could be run even worse.

20. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of technical knowledge, but to my uneducated eyes, it seems that tries to fire everything, and sometimes that seems to affect his short range accuracy.

I don't have a link, or remember exactly what was said, but in a post-game interview yesterday, he was basically asked about putting too much zip on his short passes.

Zach answered by saying that his mindset is to always fire the ball. He seemed to acknowledge that it is something he needs to work on.

I was just very surprised that he got this far in his football life without learning that he can't fire every ball. Sometimes he needs to take something off his throws, and have a little touch.

It's like the old joke about the gorilla playing golf. He impressed everyone because he hit every drive 300 yards. Then he lined up for a putt, and he hit that 300 yards.