Report: Multiple teams offering trades for Quinnen Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but I think a few teams have had dramatic turnarounds from one season to the next with a new CS and infusion of talent from the draft. I don't remember which teams or the specific situations. In general, however, I agree with you, next season will be a building season, and the team will have to learn how to win and hold onto leads. I think what happens will depend upon who is at QB for the Jets, who the CS is, and what kind of signings Douglas makes in FA. If he is able to sign either Allen Robinson, Ju Ju Smith Schuster, Chris Godwing, Kenny Golladay, or 1-2 other topnotch WRs who could hit FA, and a starting-caliber OG, the team could be better than expected. If we add an Edge and a quality CB, things could improve markedly as well. I think it also depends upon if Mims, Zuniga, Davis and Clark develop the rest of the season, and if John Franklin Myers continues to develop.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

In theory who can argue with that but how many young, cheap ascending talents will be let go?

Almost sounds like the kind if guys you would want to keep in your team and release the Bell's of this world from the squad.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

With the cap likely going down, there could be more good young FA's than usual. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  4. K'OB

Did the Jags go from 2 or 3 shit seasons to AFC winners?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I agree that those are the types of players that teams will want to keep, but some may be in cap situations where they have no choice. Perhaps that young player is due a big raise, and they'd have to cut too many other players to be able to re-sign him. They may be contenders and decide to go with their older, more proven players. I think there will be a lot of older players cut, perhaps more than a few big-name players, but think there will probably be some good, young, ascending players who are released as well. There will also probably be some young players who never developed with the team that drafted them, but could still pan out with a change of scenery.

#165 NCJetsfan, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    K'OB likes this.
  6. K'OB

But will 30 of them join the Jets lol

7. K'OB

Well whatever way we go, I hope it is for the long term benefit and not just a sticking plaster solution for a season or two at most.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Yes, good call. They did it twice. The Jaguars were 4-12 in '95, then went 9-7 in '96, 11-5 in both '97 and '98, 14-2 in '99, then fell back to 7-9 in 2000. Then went 6-10, 6-10, 5-11, 9-7, 12-4, then fell back to 8-8 in 2006.

K'OB likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Douglas might have to sign a few stopgap players to make the team more competitive, but I believe those players will be on the cheaper side rather than expensive.

K'OB likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only reason for trading him is that Douglas has decided he can be replaced for less money, and without much difficulty. While he has shown improvement this year, is it enough to justify his being taken #3 overall and the contract he has? Or can he be replaced by pretty much any DT? If the answer to that is yes, then trading him now while other teams might still view him as having "untapped potential", JD could get more for him now than waiting until he disproves that optimistic assessment of him.

That said, were I the GM, I'd be inclined to hold onto him having already "spent" the capital to get him, and based upon the fact that he's improving and projects to being at least above average if not an All Pro, and he's young. At some point you need to start building around talent. IDK if he's worth keeping as one of those building blocks, but I trust Douglas to know (for now).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

I'll take a WR and an OL, preferably a guard. Look at the Bills. They overhauled their OL and got 2 WR's for Allen to work with. It can be done. We need to give our QB, whoever it is, a chance to succeed.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. K'OB

If we are not making the play offs I am not interested in being competitive next season tbh.

Do this thing right for a change and then we may not have to do a full scale build for a decade, like the most successful teams in this league who seem to just plug and play and make the play offs year after year after year.

I just want this for the us fans if the Jets, we are long overdue some good cheer.

#172 K'OB, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  13. K'OB

We need 3 WR's at least and two OG's and maybe a centre still.
    RB or 2, edge or 2, a host of CB's and worst of all we may well still need a QB.

14. K'OB

So 3 shit and then 1 mediocre and a great season, still collapsing back to shit again after.

Am I being greedy wanting a Pat's style run, maybe I am being very unrealistic lol

15. CotcheryFan

Sign a WR, draft a WR. We'll have Crowder, Mims, FA signing, and draft pick. Draft a RB. We'll have Perine and draft pick. Draft a CB. We'll have a lot of young CB's, so let the cream rise to the top. Edge can wait until 2022 if it means the offense is in decent shape next year. Need to see what Zuniga can do, but I have a feeling he won't be the elite pass rusher we all crave.

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

When I said "be competitive" next season, I wasn't talking about being in the playoffs. I meant not getting blown out every game, and giving the young players and QB some support so he can develop.

K'OB and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I'll gladly take 3 WRs, but I think Crowder, Mims, J. Smith, a FA WR and a drafted WR, and maybe Perriman or V. Smith could be a very good unit.

I'm not sure that we need two OGs, either. I think that Clark has a lot of potential. Now that he's healthy and can practice, he could develop quickly.

We have Poole, Austin, and Hall who are keepers. I think the team likes Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry. It will be interesting to see what happens with the CB corps.

18. K'OB

I understood that but was saying I don't want them too competitive that it fucks us in the rebuild.

Take last season and see how a bad team with an easy schedule can win games and we should have made the play offs in all honesty, that is how bad Gase is. Just as well or the morons would have given him 6 years for a play off appearance... shudders

19. K'OB

I agree, forgot about Clark and I am interested to see how the younger CBs develop, we could sure use some good ones.

20. NCJetsfan

I understand, and agree. That's why I didn't want Douglas to sign Clowney or Ngakoue.

K'OB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.