Report: Jets showing interest in Ed Reed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HardHitta, Nov 13, 2013.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reports the Jets are "indeed" showing interest in free agent FS Ed Reed.

The connection is obvious because Reed played under Rex Ryan for so many years in Baltimore, when Rex was the Ravens' defensive coordinator. The two are known to have a mutual admiration. Rumors earlier in the day had Jets GM John Idzik averse to a Rex-Reed reunion, but perhaps Idzik has softened his stance. FS Dawan Landry has played well this year, but is best suited to play strong safety and SS Antonio Allen has struggled, particularly in coverage. Signing Reed to play center field could allow the Jets to kick Landry back to his natural strong safety position.

2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Are the Jets really out for this guy? Heard he's pretty banged up. And would he fit the scheme and give us any value?

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Antonio Allen has struggled?

4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I thought he was solid too but after checking PFF grades on him he has struggled in coverage more times then not but he is a damn good tackler.

5. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

It's laughable, I know.

6. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

I would love this signing! He can be used for depth purposes and you know Rex would find schemes for him Dawan and Allen at the same time

7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He fits the scheme very well. Whether he has anything left is the question. If he doesn't....we are no worse off then we are now...

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

That would definitely happen. Allen played LB in college so he could be used in multiple packages. Probably similar to how Eric Smith was used for the Jets when Leonard and Pool were here.

9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i dont see why not. this may surprise some people, but we technically are a "win now" team. we are slated in the playoffs right now and hold our own future in our hands. ed reed could help the secondary at a bargain and should fit right in with rex's system.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan has publicly advocated for him...I dont know what Reed wants, but he would help alot as our secondary is a mess at times

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I would think Allen has been having a real solid season FWIW.

In regards to Reed, I'm for it. Worst case scenario, he doesn't do anything, but there is always "that chance" that he contributes, especially for Rex and the fact that it would likely be his final signing in the league.

Plus, keeping him away from the Pats has me sold.

12. NYJets17

ProFootballCentral ‏@PFCentral 10m

Jets interested in Ed Reed. Ryan pushing for this very hard. Feels this team could benefit from a leader like Reed.

13. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

u can do worse as a third safety and a veteran mentor

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Allen has been up and down. He's played well some games and not so well in others. He's a second year 7th round draft pick so he's been a lot better then expected and is a nice guy to have to help cover tight ends. He might be able to develop into a solid starter moving forward. But right now I think we could benefit from adding a guy like Reed.

Like you said worse case scenario he does nothing. We arent any worse off.

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Antonio Allen hasn't "struggled" per se but he is still raw in terms of coverage technique and is better suited to SS. He has made a few excellent plays, and it is true that the Jets have traditionally run a two SS defense as opposed to a SS and FS. The thing about Ed Reed is that while he is not the same player he was in Baltimore, his instincts and knowledge of Rex's D could potentially make him an excellent acquisition. Jim Leonhard was an excellent player in Rex's system, and Reed will essentially be playing that position. Even at this stage in his career, he is more athletic than Leonhard ever was. Free Safety and Strong Safety are just words, especially when it comes to Rex's scheme, and it could greatly benefit our young safety corp to learn from one of the greatest of all time. Don't forget that for a time Dawan Landry and Ed Reed played together as starters under Rex in Baltimore as well, so there potential chemistry there as well.

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I said a few years ago he was the best safety in the game. Is he still? Not sure. But he would be an improvement on our existing secondary, if we do make the playoffs his experience would be invaluable, veteran presence with a young defence, familiar with Rex's system. There are a lot of good points.

The most important questions are: 1) does he have much left in the tank? 2) how much will he cost?

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Adding Reed as a locker room presence would be bigger than his contribution on the field. If he can get healthy I wouldnt mind having him for obvious passing plays.

18. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

For something close to the vet min. for the rest of the year, I think this is a no-brainer.

19. NYJets17

He gotta come in and help Milliner too

20. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I think Antonio Allen should be on the field, he has been very good so far. But if Reed would take a vet's minimum rate deal to finish out the season, he'll be worth a roster spot as depth and to be a good locker room presence.