Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"If it looks like a duck..."

QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!

NYJetsO12, tomdeb and K'OB like this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

A random fan? You mean a reporter?

Seriously who cares? I'd agree if we were talking football, but you are talking about details about the kid's personal life, which are 100% irrelevant in the decision to draft him. Why would I give a flying fuck if Macc didn't know that the guy's mom passed away.

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

I'm not sure how you can use that article to support your contention that Macc has done pretty well, or even acceptably. In fact it supports the opposite and gives ammo to those of us who say he should've been fired, and should still be fired.

4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

It’s relevant... when you are drafting top 3 you should know near everything about the top prospects. That’s his damn job lol

legler82, NCJetsfan, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

From the article:

"The Jets are relatively average with a 29.3% playtime which is actually a bit better than expected. How is that possible with such a low hit rate? The Jets haven’t busted in the first round at all and are right near the top of the NFL in snaps for 1st rounders this year at over 90%. They also have a few guys late in the draft that are playing more than would be expected for late picks. Those numbers offset the disasters that have been rounds 2 to 4 for the team."

So agreed, all in all it has been mediocre. But looking beyond the stats I'd say if the new coaching staff can elevate the play of the 1st rounders, Darnold becomes a star QB, Leo Williams improves, Quinnen Williams is pro-bowl calibre, Jamal stays Jamal... Then that more than compensates for whiffing on Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart etc. And the 2-4 round hasnt been a total wasteland. Herndon looks promising, Maye and Jenkins are decent.

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I agree - I am in the camp that Mac should have been fired AND Gase should never have been hired.

I just hope the damage that Gase does to this franchise does not completely ruin what we have potentially with Darnold.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

The jury is out on Gase, even though I didn't like his hiring, I'm willing to see what he does. But they'd better come out of the gate fast, and play like a playoff-contending team or the second guessing will start.

NYJetsO12 and chandler like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

It goes to determining a player's makeup and character. If you're going to invest a high pick on someone, I'd want to know EVERYTHING I could get my hands on about him.

boozer32 and chandler like this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Adam Gase and Mac are not seeing eye to eye apparently....Gase wanted him to heavily pursue Paradis and he didnt.Theres a major rift right now according to reports.Honestly who the fuck is Adam Gase...You just got fired by the Dolphins get the fuck out of my office i would say if I was Mac.Even though im not happy with Macganans inconsistenty

10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm jaded from being a Jets fan too long, but I see this rift as a big problem. If Maccagnan is truly on the hot seat, that means his rift with Gase has reached the ownership level. That's the problem with having the GM and coach as co-equals. Either one is within his rights to take his gripe with the other directly to ownership, and I get nervous whenever Chris or Woody is involved in an important issue with long-range implications. They're not exactly proven winners.

Gase had control over the roster in Miami, and that didn't work out too well. Guys who have that kind of power relinquish it only reluctantly. If Gase reported directly to the GM, Maccgnan could tell him to stay in his lane. If ownership is dissatisfied with Maccagnan's performance, the time to make the change was in January. You really have to wonder if Maccagnan was on board with the Gase hiring in the first place, or whether this is just another arranged marriage. Frankly, this whole thing smacks of SOJ dysfunction.

For the poster who brought up Parcells-George Young, they weren't at each other's throat before Parcells had coached even a single game. It came much later.

#90 Since1969, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Shocker that Mac would trade future picks to make a splash if he's afraid of getting fired. Why should he care about the Jets' future if he won't be here to deal with the fallout?

boozer32 likes this.
  12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Ok so we are still a total trainwreck. Right on.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

wondering if the cause isn't in front of our nose: Bell being a no show

New regime and trying to set the tone right, and the star FA is a no-show. Also consider the CS personalities. Pure conjecture but I imagine a coach might have said "I told you he was a f^*(*(ing prima donna" or perhaps vice versa and Gase begged for him and Macc was doing the yelling

No way this is over an expensive center, with an injury, who didn't want to be here anyway.

Regardless, Macc needs to nail the draft and I don't see him getting fired until his picks get out on the field

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Come on, Solid Gold, who wrote the piece you pasted here? The writer uses a quote from the Atlantic but who wrote this article? Sources matter.

15. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

to which he replied, "meaning exactly what, she doesn't want to meet me?"

16. HomeoftheJets

Guess the Jets just couldn't stand seeing the Giants making all the headlines for dysfunction.

Since1969 likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the original here also. Where did this come from?

18. HomeoftheJets

It's the Athletic, but we'll know how valid the article was in the next couple days anyway.

19. ColoradoContrails

If this is true (Macc on the hotseat) - and that's a BIG if - then all the time and energy spent on trying to get a FQB, the right CS, and all the other moves made and considered, is just :rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic", which I've said before. As long as the twin idiots own the team and insert their ignorance into the process instead of hiring a Pres. of Football Ops and then getting the fuck out of their way, this team isn't going to have sustained success, if they have an at all.

If they do fire Macc - and I'd be surprised if they do it now since they didn't in January - they had better hire a real football person to be the P.O.F.O.

NYJetsO12 and chandler like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

"This administration is not sinking. This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg!"

-Stephen Colbert

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.