Remembering Jets season openers.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Aug 23, 2006.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Ital Seafood...............................you're right, I got ahead of myself. I remembered we had 2 picks twice in Rd 1 in the early eighties. I believe the 80 draft we traded our 2 first rd picks with S.F. to draft Johnny Lam Jones.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yeah, we drafted him high, too. He and Walker were supposed to be the next Swann and Stallworth. Half of it worked out.

3. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

The 04 opener was special to me, agains the Bengals... because I was on my honeymoon in Aruba, and I made my wife watch it with me at a sports bar :)

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If I remember the 1980 opener was indeed very dissapointing, the Jets were heavy favorites but did nothing offensively - the highlight of the game was a crazy fumble return by rookie Darrol Ray where he broke like 7 tackles en route to the EZ, I'm surprised I never saw that play again on any of the NFL highlight reels, it was that stunning.

1982 was a dissapointment also, the Jets provided an early spark on their first drive scoring after only three plays but it was all Miami after that. Gastineau stuffed them on 4th and goal from the one just before the half to keep the deficit at 24-14 but then Todd threw a couple of INTS that were run back for TD's to blow it open.....

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Really nice game.........Curtis was the Star of the game. I remember Coleman's interception, his first game, big play.

6. Italian Seafood

His famous dive for the pylon, wearing the white unis at home.

The only winning opener I've ever been to--I was also at the 2001 opener vs Indy and the 1989 opener vs New England, beginning of the end of the Joe Walton era. Jeff Lageman's first game. :up:

7. mrjet80

There's one opener that hasn't been mentioned. Down 21-0 late in 2nd quarter, Erik McMillion picks off Tony Eason in the EZ saving a 28-0 deficit. Then in the second half, the Jets playing without the injured Wesley Walker and Al Toon come back, thanks in part on a fake field goal TD. Jo Jo Townsell catches a bomb from O'Brien midway through the 4th quarter giving the Jets a 24-21 lead. The Jets then stop NE at the goal with about 3 minutes left and all they need is one first down to clinch the game. O'Brien overthrows a wide open Townsell on 3rd down, NE gets the ball back and scores a TD with less than a minute remaining to win 27-24. It set the tone for a 4-12 season and the firing of Joe Walton... Home openers in years ending with 9 have not been too good to the Jets.......

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Way to break in that new bride, Big Poppa!

My wife hates the cold, I mean HATES it, but she knows I take no excuses when we're heading out the door to a Jets game. I don't care if it's 10 below. Layer up, dammit!

Love has nothing to do with it... this is a Jets game!

We should start a new thread... something like... what's the worst thing you put your wife/significant other through over a Jets game. I'll bet it would be hilarious.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It was Nick Gallery.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes. Sipe threw for 302 yards that day. (He was the league MVP the following season.)

The Jets intercepted three passes and ran for 229 yards. Usually you win when you do such things.

As mentioned by another poster, the Jets got clobbered the following week in New England, 56-3. The Patriots had 597 total yards from scrimmage.

11. Italian Seafood

And amazingly the Jets beat New England at Shea towards the end of that year. Week 15, I want to say.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Correct.

Jets 27, Patriots 26

The Jets led the league in rushing attempts and rushing yards that season and didn't even have a 1000 yard back.

13. JetFanRI

JetFanRI New Member

That was the first game I ever attended, I went with my cousin who lived in Flushing. We folded up $10 bills and handed them to the ticket taker, they pretended to tear it, put it in their pocket, and let us in!

It was a beautiful day, and Walker looked like the fastest human being in the world that day.

Perhaps it was because I was only 13, but I remember not being that bummed when we lost, because it seemed everyone knew we were becoming pretty good.

14. steviep

steviep Active Member

Thats how Shea worked back then -- in 1974 -- i just went under the turnstile -- I assume my dad gave them 10 bucks.

I remember that day -- the 28-27 -- game -- it was bright and sunny. Typical jet loss in those days. Missed PATS; late Fumbles.

My dad and his friend had season tickets. Upper deck. Behind home plate (the end zone).

He was a big gambler -- bet against the Jets every week from what i Understand.

When the Jets would inevitably make the mistake in the 4th q to blow the game (in the 70s they were awful -- or at best 7-7) he would stand up and yell --- "I knew it was coming. You knew it was coming. I was quiet all day but we were Waiting for the Mistake. And here it is!!

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The year before that 56-3 game, the Jets gave up 55 points in New England.

Since those two disasters in New England, the Jets have allowed 50 or more points in a game only twice-

52 points in Week 16 1986 at Cincinnati
    52 points in Week 1 1995 at Miami

16. mrjet80

I was at that Miami game. What I remember most is how few Jets fans were there especially being opening day. I guess most Jets fans had a hint as to what type of year it would be.....highlight of the day - a rookie named Wayne Chrebet making the first of many receptions - a beautiful diving catch of a Boomer Esiason pass

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Of all the games I've ever attended, that game is one of my favorites. Even though, it's almost 30 years ago, I remember the game like yesterday. It was a beautiful day in Mid to late October. I really miss the Jets playing in Shea......even with the flooded toilets. I've never been comfortable at the Meadowlands, sharing a stadium has always bothered me and always will. At least Shea was "our dump" of a stadium. BTW, we are close in age, you gave it away.