Remembering Jets season openers.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Man, those pants are just sad. Can't we at least look like a good team?

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That was a great day for me personally, and I didn't even get to see the game. That was just unexpected gravy.

Yes, in 1999 the NFL wanted the Jets to open at Denver in a rematch of the AFC Championship game, and Parcells objected, citing the three previous years the Jets opened not only on the road but out west. So instead we opened at home vs NE and Vinny blew out his achilles on the turf. The best laid plans, right?

3. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

That was, by far, the most mortifying football game I ever had to watch. This wasn't like watching one of Kotite's disasters, this was a team we all thought would be contending for the SB and the *entire* team falls flat on its face.

The game still runs through my head like a traumatic event - *all* the fumbles, Larry Johnson's opening 3-play, 60-yd TD drive, Coles's dropped pass. I still feel scarred by it.

4. Italian Seafood

That would have been the 1969 opener, as we actually won the Super Bowl from the 1968 season, in January of 1969.

But I see where you are coming from, champ. :grin:

5. NamathDays

NamathDays New Member

I remember that game....I had such high hopes.....Damn...Herm really turned into a turd...My fave Herm thing is he refused learn a thing about clock control...I mean what coach needs a Dick Curl whispering "time-out" into his ear?.....heck.....Our'n!

6. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I remember the Jets getting blanked in Buffalo (37-0?) in the 1981 opener. Not very encouraging.

The next game was the home opener at Shea and I was working as an intern for NBC. Mainly running to get hot dogs for Merlin Olsen. Got in trouble for watching too much of the game.

The Jets lost a close won to the Bengals (31-30) and then got spanked in Pittsburgh in week 3.

After a 4-12 season in 1980, starting off 0-3 was not good.
    Walt Michaels and Todd were one game away from getting run out of town, when they opened up their bag of tricks (flea flicker Todd to Augustiniak to Todd to Walker) and crushed the Oilers and started that 1st magical return to the playoffs.

7. Italian Seafood

As soon as KC scored on 2 or 3 running plays to open the game, I knew we were in trouble. It was Indy 2001 all over again, except we were on the road and unable to match points with them.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yep U R correct it was the 69 opener. After winning the SB, then whipping the NYGs it was really/truly a day to remember. I have never seen the flag again & from time to time have wondered where it is.

9. Italian Seafood

As crazy as it sounds--and I wasn't there--but I always thought Mark Gastineau's nutty sack dancing in the Houston game at Shea in Week 4 helped turn the season around. It was one of the first times he did it, and he got a bunch of sacks that day. It just seemed to whip the crowd and eventually the team into a frenzy and they destroyed the Oilers to get to 1-3. Houston was good then, too. They still had a good Earl Campbell and had been to the playoffs a few years running.

10. GreenMachine

How would you know? You do not watch losses.:wink:

11. Italian Seafood

I'm too young to remember it, but didn't the Jets have to play their first 4 or 5 games on the road back then? Even when I started watching in the mid 70s, they couldn't play at home until baseball season ended, due to a ridiculous agreement with the Mets, made when the Jets were a lowly AFL team looking to play in a major league stadium.

If so, they would have had to raise the flag about 4 or 5 games into the season.

12. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

13. championjets69

Which game U R talking about the 69 opener or the 05 KC game so I can reply 2 U factually?

14. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Agree with that

15. GreenMachine

Scroll up. It's right there. If you read, you will see.

16. championjets69

Ah U mean the SF game & if you would have read my post very, very carefully you would have seen I used the word NORMALLY however I did happen to watch this one live as I was at my friends house so to bad for you for 1st not reading my post most carefully & also that I really did see that loss live

17. Italian Seafood

Nobody's mentioned the 1992 opener at Atlanta. Coming off a playoff appearance and a 5-0 pre-season, we had high hopes with new QB Browning Nagle. Then he fumbled away the first snap of the season, leading us to get down 17-0 in the first quarter. Nagle turned out to have a great game, which would be his only one ever, and we lost anyway, en route to 4-12.

I believe that was the first regular season game at the Georgia Dome. We also christened the then-Hoosier Dome at Indy in 1984, a win with Pat Ryan at QB.

18. steviep

steviep Active Member

Here is my post from the Other thread:

Someone posted before that the jets have started on the road about 75% of the time. (I lost the thread -- so Ill just post here).

For those of you old enough -- you'll remember that the jets started every season on the road from 1965 to 1977. Most seasons from 65-76 they would have their first 3-6 games on the road.

In fact, in 1969 they started with FIVE road games and in '73 --they played SIX road games to start the season and went 2-4.

In 76, they started with 4 on the road, and six of their first eight games (2-6).

While its true that they didnt make the playoffs once in the 70's and they pretty much stunk -- playing 4 road games to start each season didnt help.

When Hess moved the team to the Meadowlands, one of the well-known reasons was the infamous dirty bath rooms at Shea. Another main reason, was that he was still bitter that the Mets controlled Shea during all those years -- and the Jets were truly second class citizens. I think the Jets werent even allowed to play at Shea until the baseball season was over. Starting in '78, the Jets played a fair home and away schedule to start the season but the damage was done.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Even though I was quite young, opening day 1978 was a great day to be a Jet fan. The Jet's had their first game home opener at Shea since 1964, when we opened the season vs Denver.

We kicked, Miami's Butt (The Dolphins were a good team) Bob Griese was out, bum knee.........33-20 score wasn't that close, Miami scored a meaning less touchdown in the last couple of minutes. The Jet's were coming off a 3-11 season in 1977 and Walt Michaels had the 78 team playing very well.

Standouts of the game:

Wesley Walker .....2 touchdowns, over 100 yards receiving.
    Kevin Long..........ran very well.
    Bruce Harper.......Returned a couple of kickoffs out to midfield.
    Richard Tood..........17-25.... 245 yards
    Joe Klecko...a couple of sacks.

Jets' finished 8-8 in 1978..........tough loss to the Browns in December ended playoff hopes.

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Walt Michaels Jets always seemed to have Kenny Stabler's number whether he played for the Raiders, Oilers, or Saints......