Realistic QB Targets for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

No more drafting Qb's the Jets and the Browns have clearly proven they don't know how to draft Qb's. Sign one thats established, or wait for a Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson situation and mortgage the future.

RevisIsland18 likes this.
  2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He already has one of the top 3 receivers in the game and can't win games. What do you expect him to do with the Jets?

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Put Carr on this team and we have 8+ wins right now.

The Raiders have a bottom 10 defense. I think that's contributing more to their record than Carr is.

This isn't to say Carr is a top 5 QB, I don't even think he's a top 10 one, but he's lightyears better than what we have right now and would be a huge upgrade next season.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If Wilson shows no improvement the rest of this season, he won't be the starter next season.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

You make a fair point about the defense. I can't counter that point. However, when you really look at all his available weapons, do you really think the Raiders aren't on par with the Jets, especially with Breece Hall out?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

No, I don't. Outside of Kolton Miller, their OL is pretty bad, probably worse than ours.

Obviously Davante Adams is the best skill guy on either team by a mile and I'd argue Josh Jacobs is the 2nd best, but after that I'd say we have the next 4 best skill guys between the 2 teams in GW, CD, Elijah, and MC.

After Adams, the Raiders' pass catchers start to look really rough with no Waller or Renfrow (who've been out since October 10th and November 6th respectively). Mack Hollins, Keelan Cole, DJ Turner, Foster Moreau, & Ameer Abdullah. Give me any of our guys over them.

Raiders are more top heavy with great/elite talent but I think overall we have more talent/depth overall.

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Carr is in the same classification as Cousins for me - along with a few others. Decent enough, but never quite giving me confidence that he'll get the job done in crucial moments. The stats look better than the player does. That's okay if they don't want to be paid like a top 10 guy and you can put talent around them on both sides of the ball, but an issue if they do. I feel Carr will want to be paid if he moves.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Sad to say but literally EVERY other starting QB is better than Zach is right now…

Lamar is not gonna happen….I just can’t see the Ravens not able to figure it out.

I would take Jimmy G in a heartbeat … I wouldn’t LOVE it but we’d be so much better than we are with Zach

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Carr hasn't had a defense that has been ranked over 20. They have been ranked exactly 20 2x and the first time they went 7-9 with Del Rio in his first year and then 12-4 the 2nd year and he broke his leg.

Carr is better than mediocre and with elite talent around him can be very good. He won't need need to score 28+ a game with a defense like this. This roster is good enough that with Carr they are talking about us being Super Bowl contenders rather than talking about us gaining 2 yards in an entire 2H of an NFL game.

They save $110m next year by getting rid of him. There is 0% chance they ride with Carr to start the year when they most likely finish with a top 5 pick and McDaniels can get Stroud or Young.

10. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Yes and Carr will only cost money, anyone who doesn't think Carr is a major Upgrade over Zack Wilson is dellusional. We won't get Mahomes, Josh Allen or, Lamar Jackson so go for above average Qb like Carr. With Breece back next year and draft/sign a offensive lineman, and if Bechton stays healthy next year putting Carr on the team will instantly make the Jets Superbowl contenders.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think if you can sign Carr somewhere in the 25-30M/year range, that's acceptable. That would put him in the 13-17 range in terms of AAV for QBs currently, which would be about where I'd rank him amongst NFL QBs.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm with you. People that are thumbing their nose at Derek Carr like he wouldn't be a massive upgrade for this team is wild to me.

Again, I don't think he's a top 5 guy but with this defense he wouldn't have to be. Sign Carr and see how Zach reacts to being the back-up. If he can't handle it, trade him and start using a Day 2/3 pick every other year on a QB until you get one that has some legit potential.

13. BigAbruns

BigAbruns Member

Goff or Carr, preferably Goff

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We need to see what Mike White can do to figure out just how many QBs we need next year.

15. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

OMG, not Minshew. Go with White and see if it pans out. We need Cap to sign all the studs we just drafted. Wasting 50 million on QB will not be the answer.

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Jimmy Garoppolo is the more sexy and costly pick, but a bargain pick would be Carson Wentz if Washington moves on from him starting. Not sure why Washinton fans are down on him, other than he is hurt. This year his completion rate is 62.1 and he has 10 TD to 6 NT. Career wise he has a 62.6% completion and 150 TD to just 63 INTs. The foolish Colts gave him up cheap after he had a season with 27 TDs to just 7 INTs. Can't remember when a Jets QB ever did that.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Were not going to be able to figure out what QB we need next year in week 11 of this year.

We need to start drafting QBs in the mid ranges and not using top 5 picks on one. After Zach's terrible rookie year we should have drafted one of the second/third/fourth rounders this last draft for competition and future security, at the most important position.

All Gas No Shake, Vida and K'OB like this.
  18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

White is NOT any answer, but he could have won the last game. I say through Chris Streveler in, at least he is exciting, and no way he does worse than Wilson.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Carr is a possibility.

Aaron Rodgers has probably played his last season in Green Bay. I'm not sure if he'd want to continue playing elsewhere, or if he'd want to start collecting that fat check from jeopardy or whatever that gameshow was. If I were a Jet fan (or a fan of any team, really) I would not want Rodgers on my team, but its an option (assuming he can still play at a high level and everything that went wrong this year in Green Bay was everyone else's fault like Aaron says).

There are veteran backups that if started on the jets, would put them in far better position than Wilson can. Guys like Minshew, Bridgewater, Brissett, Heinecke, etc.

The veteran QB route seems to be the better option for the Jets next year, but even if they go that route, they still should be drafting QB's they think could be superstars. Those veterans listed above will make the jets more competitive in the short term, but never put you in contention for a super bowl. Need a young superstar for that. Next year is supposed to have some good ones, but will probably be off the board by the time the jets pick (unless they want to put together a package and move up).

Brook! likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Get sacked a lot and pick up a huge pay cheque, as per most Jets FA signings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.