Real problems in the Jet locker room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Dec 18, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This whole season it's like Pryor was put in a bad situation. Playing more coverage then he should. I don't understand why defense coaches try and get cute with players playing out of position. Rex did this too.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

fuck that Pryor should learn how to cover someone or at least take appropriate angles to the receiver.. He is a safety after all, that's not asking too much. What bad situation has he been put in? - being asked to do his job?? They aren't lining him up outside 1 on 1 with receivers anyway. Pryor gets beaten like a drum in any coverage. He can't even play help coverage.

I get it, he's better in the box. But he can't play the whole game there. Good offenses would just spread out with 4 wide and attack that scheme over the top. (like we've seen) At some point Pryor needs to become at least serviceable in coverage. Or he needs to sit the bench and be a part time player.

There are plenty of safeties in the league that are better up in the box but still perform their duties when they need to cover. A safety that cannot cover anyone and needs to play up in the box is called a linebacker.

#82 BrowningNagle, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  3. 101GangGreen101

It just seemed last year he was one of our most valuable defensive players, he was going up against TEs, he wasn't that bad last year. He's been playing some single high safety and he's not reliable as the last man in the last line of defense. It's insane how much he's regressed though. Meanwhile a Landon Collins is straight up beasting in this league.

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Your right, but as it stands Pryor seems like a write off. It would be nice if they figured out a way to make him impactful as a blitzer.

5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Related Sidenote: We took Pryor before Clinton HaHa Dix......who had 2 picks yesterday

Thanks Rex for wanting the "big hitter" instead of the better all-around safety

Jets_Grinch, Chrisiue and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

My opinion on Sheldon is as follows,

[​IMG]

Lack of production, no leadership, a drug suspension, a behavior suspension, this latest drama. Sorry, but he should know better at this point in his career. Does anything think $50 million guaranteed is going to motivate him to be a better player or person? This is as good as it gets people!

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, Pryor played very well last year.

It looked to me at the very very beginning that Pryor had gained a lot of weight. He looked heavy to me. He without question lost a step.I was shocked that Revis had a belly on him too. I don't think Mo was in shape, even with the leg, he gained weight.

I think Bowles & Co. fucked up on the off-season training program. I think he trusted the players to be responsible, was trying to be a players coach, and it didn't work, in every aspect of the framework of the team.
    I don't think the team was in top shape

If he stays and doesn't bring out his inner Parcells and become a disciplinarian he'll fail.

ajax, SonofDinger, Chrisiue and 4 others like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

You know, this might be the most underrated aspect of all of the Jet issues right now. Great post. Marshall was told to lose weight to get faster and now he's having one of the worst seasons ever in terms of his production. That's 3 key players you needed to produce at a high level. I bet Mo was in awful shape come the start of the season. Pryor and Mo both look sluggish as all hell.

They will need to ensure every player is in top shape come next season, or you are off the roster. No exceptions.

MoWilkBeast and Walt White like this.
  9. PulseJet

Ugh, I have been looking at his stat lines all year. Not to mention the Jets could have had Carr or Bridgewater.

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Pryor must have been out of shape since he played at Louisville. The guy has been sluggish since we drafted him.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. STARoSCREAM

Instead, Jets continue to do Jets things. We'll screw up this draft also.

Same cycle, we'll suck for 3 years, turn it around for 3-4 and blow up and do it all over. Tis the life of a Jets fan.

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Although I have been a Jet fan since 1966 I don't claim to be a football expert. I do, however, know something about coaching. In the modern NFL no head coach can specialize on only one side of the ball. There are rare exceptions but usually they are play callers not defensive guys. It's the head man's job to coach the coaches and know the temper of the locker room. He has to oversee the game plan not create it. Ask questions about what is produced and why. Get in the player's ear about what it means to be a pro. and what he expects. Listen for player input and explain the reason for a decision. If the Jets braintrust knew what a head coach is maybe they could hire one or explain to the present one what they envision for the position.

13. PulseJet

Its funny, the only guy the front office correctly thinks is untradable is Williams, the guy who in 2015 was considered to be an extravagant and unneccesary pick given we were already stacked.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Totally agree and a related issue is the injuries that just don't seem to clear. Every week I see the lists the Jets put out on twitter after practice and ours is twice as long as the team we are due to play. It doesn't seem to be just game related bangs, they just don't seem in shape or healthy generally so they are missing practice time. The S&C guys appear to have totally shit the bed.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

This is why I want to see a lot of these positional coaches to find another job else-where. Specifically I would like to see the Jets replace these coaches. A lot of missed practice time and when they practice, they aren't learning anything, as the execution on the field has been awful.

- Secondary Coach
    - Offensive Line Coach
    - Strength and Conditioning Coach
    - Defensive Line Coach
    - Defensive Coordinator

Bowles needs to make some changes, before they fire him. You cannot go into next season with the same coaching staff.

16. STARoSCREAM

Ageed, I say trade Richardson for whatever you can. Let these players know, YOU are not bigger than the TEAM. Show them, no matter how talented you may be.

You want to act like an ass? ok, good. We value a 7th round pick over you and that sort of behavior

PulseJet likes this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I suspect Richerson's value is dropping like a rock... we had our chance with dallas and over played our hand. now we'll be lucky to get a 3rd and frankly if I am mAC I am taking that to get rid of the cancer in the locker room.

18. PulseJet

Is the assumption now that Bowles job is safe?
    Agreed. Drop his ass for whatever you can get. What do you lose, Richardson's 1.5 sacks? Big production...

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yup, he is always a step behind because he takes terrible angles to the football, not because he is fat and slow

20. 101GangGreen101

I think he's safe this year, but all bets are off next yr.