Re-sign Berrios (uStadium reports, extension talks started)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 2, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't get why Berrios and Crowder are an "either/or" issue. They don't both have to play the same role, nor do they have to be used at different times - they can both be on the field as targets at the same time. I'd much rather have both Berrios and Crowder out there than Cole, Mims, Smith.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You just laid out a scenario in which it made perfect sense to NOT pay Robby. And it's not really that far-fetched to assume that's exactly what the thinking was.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I didn't say it wasn't the right move to let him walk, I said he's a good WR. there is a way where robby was worth the money but JD was right in not paying it.

4. BroadwayAaron

I think that’s the problem. He’s just a “good“ receiver and two years into his first big contract he’s not good at all. Blame whoever you want but even Corey Davis found a way to match Robbys output playing mostly with a rookie quarterback who was a disaster and in seven less games.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I've been as hard as anyone on JD but I never cared that he let Anderson walk. He's a one trick player who is not clutch. I like WRs to be clutch guys.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

welcome to current NFL. "good" Wrs make 12-13mil a year. davis is making that, as is robby. christian kirk is likely to get that. none of them are world beaters. the "great" WRs make 18+ mil a year. Kenny galladay signed for 18 mil a year and only has 499 yards in the 13 games he played. Does he suck? no it's because of their shitty offense. There is no reasonable argument to be made that robby isn't worth 12 mil a year. with that said it's also perfectly reasonable to understand JD not paying him made sense for us.

7. BroadwayAaron

I agree, good receivers make $12ish mil a year but that's not what Robby is making.

8. GasedAndConfused

true but he's the 18th highest paid WR in the NFL (based on average) and last year with a QB he was top 15 in yards and top 10 in catches so i'd say he's shown he's worth his contract

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I do hope Berrios stays, but at this point I think his market value as a WR exceeds that of Crowder. Crowder made 6 mil and can probably get similar on open market. He is also clearly better than Cole, who is around that mark as well. I think Berrios is looking at least at 7 per, especially given his impact on special teams. 3 years - 21 mil perhaps? Not sure if anything less than that will get it done, could be even more.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

JD is the best GM in the league.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was thinking around this same contract. First two years guaranteed.

Asset management is why. You can’t pay Crowder and Berrios $7 million each while also giving Davis $11 and then whatever Moore is due and hopefully a decently high drafted rookie.

It did not make any sense, however, that the Jets staff made it an either/or situation all year where they were scared to put two smurfs on the field at once when they clearly should’ve been.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Come on you can't use Zach to big up Davis but then pretend Robby hasn't had Darnold and Cam 'i'm finished' Newton and another scrub that I can't remember the name of.

Robby has been shit this season and let's face it for what we paid Davis he has been awful.

ouchy likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

I only brought up Wilson because Robby's awful season is being blamed on QB play. Seemed fair to acknowledge the same for Davis.

K'OB likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Davis actually eats up 14 next year, then goes to 11 team option with 1 mil dead CAP. Add 7 for Berrios, which basically replaces Cole's salary. I think we can still sign one more vet in addition to rookie. Do we want that to be Crowder though? He missed quite a few games, and we are also kind of small at WR with Berrios and Moore playing a bigger role. Even if we get a bigger rookie, would be good to get another good sized vet. Like a Cole, but not garbage. Robinson perhaps? Value should be less with him being a year older and not as productive.

15. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

I just spit my beer across the room.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Crowder isn't coming back after we cornered him and cost him millions of dollars. I get the feeling that both Crowder and Cole don't want to be here anymore and cant wait to get out. Maybe that's wrong, but they both seem to be playing with a lot less fire as the season wears on.

What happens with Berrios will tell us a lot. He'll likely get a decent offer from a more competitive team. If he stays with us for similar money that means he's dedicated to helping us improve and is a great asset to have on the roster.

K'OB likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Do you want to be the one to start the GoFundMe for poor Jamison Crowder? I can do it if you're busy.[​IMG]

K'OB likes this.
  18. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I miss Robby for his articulate post game interviews.

Footballgod214, Acad23 and bicketybam like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Huh? How many players do this? Literally zero? Maybe they take a little bit more or less if they’re a top end player whose already rich beyond their own means, but a guy like Berrios playing on a minimal salary for his whole career isn’t going to take less money to be “dedicated to the cause.”

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree. My point was more that if he had two offers that were roughly the same, one from us and one from a contender, and he choose us it would say a lot.

If he gets a much better offer that we don't match then he's gone.