Re-sign Berrios (uStadium reports, extension talks started)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Understood, but none of those things were a remote consideration at the time of his signing. Wilson wasn’t even a first round prospect when the decision was made to let Anderson walk.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im not suggesting Wilson was or even should have been a thought, Im just saying Im much happier going down this road we're currently on as opposed to winning one more game or two, having any of the QBs picked after Wilson (minus Mac which we weren't doing) and still having to pay Robby money to be average at best.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yeah except Crowder can't actually PLAY because he can't stay healthy.

Crowder is a fine slot receiver but Berrios can do the job just as well, especially considering Crowder can't stay healthy.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We would have still had Berrios even if we resigned Anderson. Anderson was basically replaced by Perriman first year and Davis the second year. Robby clearly outperformed Perriman last year with 1100 yard season and probably did better than Davis this year also. Big factor is availability, and Zach could have used him right now as Davis is out. Though Anderson didn't have a good year either. I would say still not a good move by JD to let him walk, but not as bas as appeared initially after he broke out last year.

JD still needs to address WR position. Resign Berrios, and add two more capable guys, one top end rookie (Jameson Williams?) with the 1st round pick, and also a solid veteran to replace Cole, who sucked. Plus we need to upgrade back end as well (maybe a later round pick) as Smith and Montgomery stink.

5. BroadwayAaron

Davis actually had a similar/better year than Robby in what will amount to 7 less games played.

34 receptions (less than Robby)
    492 yards (more than Robby)
    4 TD (same as Robby)

No matter how you slice it, Robby has been bad and his contract is one of the worst WR contracts out there if you're not factoring in time missed due to injury.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

You can’t separate out injury from contract. If a player gets hurt it’s a bad contract.

Anderson’s contract isn’t great, but I doubt it’s the worst if we took a deep dive into it because it was such a short commitment.

Golladay, Curtis Samuel, Julio, Sterling Shepherd, etc all look way worse than a guy whose two and done.

7. BroadwayAaron

If you're factoring injuries then Golladay might have the worst contract in the NFL period. Davis obviously was a disappointment but I would say it's far more disappointing to pay a guy a bunch of money and then have him play poorly in all 17 games.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Sorry, edited after I posted. Julio, Curtis Samuel, Sterling Shepherd and at this point Jarvis Landry are all much worse contracts.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This year - yes similar, but last year it's not even close. The larger point is that WR position still sucks, though JD did make some strides from the last year where he made Perriman as #1 receiver and missed out on Mims. Gotta hit on another first round pick this year and a good FA signing. Imagine we get Jameson Williams and someone good to replace Cole like Robinson along with keeping Berrios. Then we are talking.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He always struck me as a me first type of guy. And then this year he was shown on the sideline screaming at Sam Darnold. I just don't like the guy. Same way I didn't like Adams.

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not an Anderson fan but he did have a 95 catch, 1096 yard receiving year in 2020. Only 3 TD's though. Still, that's pretty damn good.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

robby was top 12 last year in yards and receptions in the NFL to say he sucked is crazy. he was fine until darnold started to replace teddy. and teddy isn't even that good. people look too much at stats with no context. robby is a good WR. IDK why jet fans hate him so much. he's just been stuck to darnold

13. BroadwayAaron

So again I ask... why is everyone so butthurt that we let a guy walk rather than overpay him to play with the guy everyone keeps saying is responsible for Robby being borderline average?

14. GasedAndConfused

I don't think anyone is butthurt. it is what it is. we basically traded him for corey davis who fits our new system better as a blocking WR. and we drafted moore who is a deep threat but also better working the middle of the field. Robby was good though no need to trash him

15. BroadwayAaron

Robby was average, then he was great, and now he's below average. He's also not a great teammate and an idiot off the field. I don't hate the guy but he's not someone you pay especially when he's not going to make a difference at a pivotal point for your franchise.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

you can have your opinion.

17. BroadwayAaron

Well my opinion is backed up by the results. If you mean "you don't pay him at a pivotal point in your franchise" then again I have to ask why you'd pay him to play with a guy that you claim ruined his career?

18. GasedAndConfused

they didn't. they paid him and had a different QB and he was a top 10 WR that year. then they traded for darnold and his numbers crashed down just like everyone else on that offense. statistically speaking he's had a better career then corey davis but I don't see people trashing davis.

19. BroadwayAaron

I'm not talking about the Panthers, I'm talking about the Jets. If the big problem was Darnold, why would you pay a receiver that's been average with Darnold $14.5 mil per year? Especially if you know the following year is probably going to be a reset with a new coach and probably QB. It never ever made sense to pay Robby that kind of money considering where we were as a franchise. He was worth it last year, this year he's having the worst year of his career, so it's kind of hard to say he's been worth it overall.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

because we had a different regime and system at the time. maybe they were unsure on darnold. maybe JD knew it would be gase's last year and didn't want to make a QB change until he had his new staff in place so they can get their guy. JD wanted flexibility in the offseason. He knew we would have a new staff and system and didn't want to overcommit to guys who may or may not fit that system. mac did that which is why we are stuck with mosley. now we have a new HC,DC, and OC. we got the QB our staff wanted and are building a roster of players to fit their system.