Re-sign Berrios (uStadium reports, extension talks started)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

First 3 reasons are the ones to resign with the Jets in general, not necessarily NOW. He would have a lot more leverage when he is free agent, even to resign with the Jets. Now, if JD makes him a great offer, which Berrios thinks he is not going to exceed on open market (or comes very close to it), sure I see the cash in hand vs 3 months from now as a little better. But it would need to be a really good offer I think.

Think of it like this: this season is in essence a job interview. You have completed the interview with multiple companies and did great. Now your company is offering you more money before other offers come in. It would still need to be a pretty darn good offer for you to agree to this.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Think this will just come down to the guy as a person.

Does he want to re sign here and probs get a cheaper deal but with a place he seemingly likes or want to test the unknown which is FA. Option 2 also runs the risk of injury, or not receiving a hot market as generally all FAs think they have.

I hope he signs now and we get a hometown discount on the deal out of it. Get your guaranteed Money Braxton, you sure earnt it.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You might be surprised to note that Crowder and Berrios are tied for receiving yards at 431 for the season. They are equal or very close to each other in most of the other measurements. Where Berrios excels is in yards after catch, his ability to run the ball and his special teams contributions. He has also done this on 390 snaps to 531 for Crowder.

#63 Ralebird, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Jets79, cval, papapump and 1 other person like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Was going to respond to this in the LaFleur thread but makes more sense here.

The YAC number kind of illustrates my original point of Crowder being the better WR. I think Crowder is a much more reliable route runner and can run a variety of routes... but he's not the swiss army knife that Berrios is. Berrios is getting the ball at or behind the LOS a lot more frequently than Crowder ever did (feels that way at least). Everything they are doing with Berrios is what they were doing with Moore when Crowder was healthy so it's not something that Crowder needs to do. I do worry that Moore and Berrios are a bit redundant, but I'd move forward with Berrios over Crowder because he's more versatile and I think Moore has the talent to be a top to bottom, all around WR.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Crowder is leaps and bounds the better WR over Berrios.
    JD has shown over and over that if he can downgrade a position to save a couple bucks that is the route he will take.

That said, both guys will be gone next year, and JD will trade a 6th to get Perriman back.
    And this board will praise the move, like they have on every bad move.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You have a better shot of him resigning either and then trading them for 2 first round picks :D

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Cmon JD doesn’t re-sign players.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I don’t know the number you’d bring back Crowder, after an injury riddled year where he took a paycut IIRC. Maybe 4-5 mill? Would he take that or go to a contender? Berrios being younger and faster, and his ST’s prowless, you’re thinking around 6-7 potentially for Berrios.

9. BroadwayAaron

Crowder will be the first receiver JD lets walk that will warrant questioning him. But even then there isn't much of a question considering the emergence of Berrios, their skillsets and their age.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Crowder will be 29 next season and has eclipsed 800 passing yards twice in 7 years. He has the same amount of yards on a million more targets than Berrios.

Crowder might have a hard time finding a NFL job next year where he’s anything more than a WR4.

Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Here's a fun excercise... which player makes $14.75 mil per year?

PLAYER A
    46 receptions
    469 yards
    4 total TD

PLAYER B
    46 receptions
    431 yards
    5 total TD

12. Jonathan_Vilma

My first two thoughts were Antonio Brown and Allen Robinson. Is it Golladay?

13. BroadwayAaron

Robby Anderson is player A, Berrios is player B.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough. It still was the wrong call to let Anderson go. And I didn’t like him as a player at all. Our receivers were a dumpster fire last year and he came at a reasonable number.

Tough to hate on the guys limited production with the Darnold/Cam/PJ Walker combo throwing him the rock.

In any event, I’m done with the free agent receiver. The best teams draft and develop their guys. Mercenaries at that position end up with a year and a half of production before they fall off a cliff.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now you wouldn't find a bigger Robbie fan when he was a Jet but I believe he has had a case of stone hands this year as well, not the so-called dropsy's that people used to accuse him of in here, ie getting the ball ripped out as he is a 9 stone weakling etc but more akin to Davis dropping real chances straight to the turf.

A shame as he was great the season after he left the Jets.

16. BroadwayAaron

Hard to say it was the wrong call to let Robby walk then point out how playing with Darnold in Carolina is part of why he's been a bust signing for them...

But either way, I was fine letting him walk then and even more fine with it now. We weren't going anywhere with that Gase/Darnold combo and the writing was on the wall long before it came time to make a decision on Robby. He wouldn't have changed the outcome last season and he wouldn't change it this season. We missed out on nothing by letting him walk. Especially when we have a guy like Berrios giving us the exact same production.

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think Anderson has a higher ceiling than Berrios but I was never a Robbie fan. I think he's a shitty teammate and overrated.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I get how silly it looks, but I look at it like this - would we have been a better or worse team with him last year? I’d say we had the worst receiving corps in the league last year. Would’ve been interesting to see how he was with Wilson and if he could’ve hit some more deep balls if he was on the roster this year.

19. BroadwayAaron

I don't know if we would have won maybe more than an extra game or two and that's just because maybe Robby would have gotten open on a bomb that led to a TD. And then who knows where we draft... do we have Wilson or do we settle for Lance or Fields? Do we keep Darnold and waste yet another year? All in all, it helped usher in a complete reset and that's way more valuable IMO than an extra win or two and millions of dollars pissed away on them.

20. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

Just curious, not arguing. What made you think he's a poor teammate?