Re-sign Berrios (uStadium reports, extension talks started)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 2, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Beasley was way more of an established receiver so I wouldn't expect a Berrios contract to look like that. I'd say closer to $5-6 mil a year with guarantees the first two totaling around $12 mil.

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

From what I've seen, Spano doesn't usually report news much, but when he does it seems to be relatively accurate.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Everyone likes Berrios. He is a good dude. He has earned an extension the last month too at WR, but has all year as a special teams player.

Corey Davis and Elijah Moore will be back in 2022 Hopefully the Jets draft or sign another WR. Re-sign Berrios for the slot. Let Crowder and Cole walk. Not sure what the plan will be for Mims.

If the Jets have Davis, Moore, Berrios, high draft pick/FA that is a solid Top 4 for Wilson. Draft or sign a TE too to give him more threats. I like it. Berrios definitely should be a part of the future.

4. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

He has fight. He gets open, has great hands and is useful on so many plays and special teams. Zach seems to trust him as well. Him and Moore both have good hands and that is important. I like Crowder but we dont need them both if we are going to make Berrios part of the proper rotation. Cole drops some, Smith is progressing. So totally agree with you. Mimms who the hell knows eh. Would love a Receiving threat that has more big play ability at TE, carter is great out of the backfield as well.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

He's been terrific since getting more opportunities. Get it done!

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Berrios knows where he fits on the Jets. A players never knows where he fits on a new team. No reason to think he doesn't want to stay. He doesn't need us or the media to negotiate for him. He's a bright guy.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Berrios has been the glue to the offense with all the injuries & covid, he's been there through it all. Always comes up with a big play when you need it. Hasn't dropped any passes all season...Signing him will be a good look for JD & the Jets in General that we pay the guys that earn it. Lets hope JD learned from the Anderson wiff. I think he has by the way he signed JFM & is now not dragging his feet with Berrios.

#47 BudJet, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We will sign him to a nice contract and he will blow out his Achilles on the first day of camp. :(

9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Didn’t an unproven Anderson just get $15mm/yr?
    I believe you are misjudging the market.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Anderson played 4 years and averaged 52 receptions/765 tards/5 TD per season before he got paid.
    Berrios is just finishing his 3rd year, averages 30 receptions/313 yards/2 TD with 2 rushing TDs this year. And those numbers are HEAVILY skewed by the last two seasons.

They are in different realms although ironically, Berrios is probably far more valuable to an NFL team than Robby ever was or will be.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Crowder was set to make 10 before JD made him take 5 (fully guaranteed tho) just before kickoff so Berrios may be hoping for something between 5 on the low end and 10 at the top. There's most likely at least one team that'd take a chance on him in the 8-10 range...probably the Panthers!

Question: Who would you prefer going forward on a new 4 yr contract? Crowder or Berrios? For me it's close, but I'd still go with Crowder.

ouchy likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't quite see the point for Berrios to sign extension at this stage unless it is at a high end, like an offer he can't refuse. There is only one game left, and risk of injury is low. After that he can become UFA and have competition open up for his services, compare offers, and still sign with the Jets if he wants. It's not that long of a wait. I hope JD strikes a deal, but not holding my breath.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Don't spend too much time with Cman. His darksider status is rubbing on you. Lol

cval likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Reason BB would sign now instead of waiting
    1. NYJ is the 1st place he’s found success and has a good connection with the QB
    2. He’s lived here 3 years and moving sucks.
    3. His girlfriend lives here
    4. Cash in hand. Signing now means $5mm+ in his pocket today, not in 3 months

Reasons not to sign now
    1. Low ball offer of 5-6mm

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are you joking?

papapump and bicketybam like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Joking? No. Crowder is a better overall receiver than Berrios. I get that B returns kicks too, but there are others on the roster who could do that. But strictly WR? If I could only sign one to a new contract, it'd be Crowder.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Berrios is the rabbit. Parcells used Chrebet for Keyshawn, Belichick used Welker for Moss, we lack the dog in the equation although I think Moore is sensational.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Right, you don't think after all the evidence shown this season that Berries could actually be a better WR than people have thought? Were as Crowder has done Jack shit all season compared to previous seasons and at his age you'd rather give him a 4 year deal.

No problems, I was just getting it all laid out straight.

Thank God you're not the GM.

#58 K'OB, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    papapump and bicketybam like this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

No way do I want Crowder on a 4 year deal. That's insane. 100% agree with you.

papapump and K'OB like this.
  20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member