Re-Evaluating Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 29, 2006.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

That's a fair POV. Obviously anything can happen in the NFL but even if the Jets won yesterday I don't think they were making the playoffs. Aside from that, as fans we've been treated to 7 "exciting" games out of 8 this season so far and you'd like to see that continue. It beats the horror of last season for sure.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What 3rd is saying is we know what we have in Penny but he is not the FUTURE so sooner or later we have to go with somebody else & 3rd is sayiny sooner. By playing that somebody else we 1st give them experience secondly we see if they have the goods so we know what to put on our wish list for next years draft. Yes the draft is a crapshoot but if you do your homework + your Ps & Qs you should come out of with a decent player. You can only collect so many players thru UFA due to the cap. That is also a crapshoot in a sense just look at Kimo this year

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Here's the root of our disagreement then. Why isn't Pennington the future? He's 30, QBs now play easily into their late 30s, and it's not like Chad relies on physical tools that are going to leave him in a few years. He wins with smarts and by running the game, which only improves with age and experience. All he has to do is learn how to stay on the field for 16 games, which he seems to be doing a lot better this year--sliding, etc.

He's a lot better than some QBs who have won Super Bowls--Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson, to name a couple recent examples. Even in his worst game he gives you a chance to win, why would you waste a high draft pick on a QB at this point even if you had one? We would be much better off getting someone who can rush the opposing QB without having to blitz just to get some pressure than replacing a QB that doesn't need to be replaced.

#103 Italian Seafood, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They have made it pretty clear in KC that Herm has absolutely no control over the offense. You may see that as confidence in his players, but I see it as distrust of a coach.

5. championjets69

Cause he is easily defenseable cause he cannot throw long. Stack the line & bring pressure & Penny goes into a shell. On todays roster he is the best we have. On next years or the years after roster Clemens should have replaced him otherwise we wasted a #2 on him. That is the difference

6. championjets69

OK if what you post is correct

7. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Good point on the exciting games. Besides some drives where the D is just gutted time and time again, I have actually enjoyed the games even if I have been nervously pacing back and forth at times. However, yesterday in the fourth quarter was the first time all season in a close game that I didn't think the offense could get it done...hence the thoughts on Chad.

(Not too make this a playoff thread, but I think a 10-6 record would give the Jets a decent shot at the playoffs, or at least playing meaningful games in December.)

8. Italian Seafood

He can't throw long? He threw long TD passes in the past two games. I guess if you say it over and over you start to believe it, but Chad can throw long. If he's so easily defensable, how come he was a winning record in the NFL?

9. championjets69

Look let it go as just something we agree to disagree

10. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

It's not one bad game. He has sucked for a month now. The league knows if you blitz him and bunch the safetys he is helpless. I know this is a throw-away season, but we need to start grooming our next QB soon.

11. Italian Seafood

So if I send you a package clip of all Chad's long TD passes this year, we'll still disagree?

12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

As to whether Chad is the QB of the future, assuming he plays to his potential, I think Chad can lead the Jets for a long time. It is not like he relies on his arm or legs to make plays that will deteriorate as he gets older.

That being said, that would mean the Jets would make a commitment to building a top tier defense and strong offensive line. Something, I think, the organization is dedicated to doing.

I don't think if Clemmens doesn't play for another two seasons it will be a wasted pick. Most teams would prefer QBs to watch and learn. Would you say the Chargers think Rivers was a wasted pick?

13. championjets69

Yes we would maybe we could settle it thru PMs

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

It's not so much a wasted pick as it is wasting a relatively cheap rookie contract. Keeping Brady at a bargain basement to moderate salary was the key to the Patriots sustained success as it enabled them to spend money on other positions and fill holes etc. Not to say that you can't be successful with big ticket players at the skill positions on offense like the Colts, but it certainly does help alot.

15. Italian Seafood

Ok, I'll get right on that.

16. Italian Seafood

You can't go by Brady. He was a lower pick and chose to take a lesser deal after they had already won a couple times, hoping to keep the team together. That doesn't happen often, Mariano Rivera with the Yankees and Marty Brodeur with the Devils are the only other examples in sports I can think of, and in both cases having the trophys already in the case are the reasons they stayed for less money.

17. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Saw the same thing. If Green is healthy...he is starting. Now we have seen Herm lie before..but this would be a whopper...unlike him leaving the Jets better than he found them..which was a white one..lie that is.

Getting back on track...there is a basic disagreement on how good a qb needs to be to win a superbowl.

BB...who has been given the crown as one of the greatest coaches ever..would he have won a superbowl if the team drafting ahead of him in the 6th round took Brady? If so...then qb is just another key position..but not the most important.

So many can argue that teams with average qbs have won superbowls.. but true dyanstys always have great qbs. Teams that are in the hunt year in and year out have the franchise qb. Others have won and out with average qbs.

18. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

So he sucked vs. Miami and Detroit?

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

The thing about football is that it's such a team sport that independent analysis of players is often difficult. Edgerrin James, great RB, great producer...right? One year out of Indy and he's averaging under 3 YPC while the rookie Addai is averaging over 5. I think that QB is the single position on the field that can effect the offense the most, but as you note its not an absolute prerequisite for success.

Denver is an example of a team that has been "in the hunt" since they won their SB's with crap at the QB position. Of course their 1 postseason win in that time argues against the wisdom of this approach. I think that while QB is clearly the most important position it is not the end all and be all. There's a reason teams continue to throw high draft picks at QBs year after year, even knowing the washout rate.

20. Italian Seafood

True. Everyone wants the next Aikman, Elway, etc, especially bad teams in need of rebuilding that are on top of the draft. So they grasp at what they hope they see in someone, not knowing if it will be Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. We're not in that spot. We have a guy that we know can win with a decent team around him and even pull some games out with an average team like we have now. He's not at the end of his rope by a long shot, which is why I don't see the need to replace him anytime soon.