Re-Evaluating Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well if all you equate is championships then the Jets are IN the group of teams that have won a Super Bowl, along with 17 other teams. The Cards and Lions are IN the group of teams that have never won a Super Bowl, along with 13 other teams.

The group of teams that have won a Super Bowl but not in the last 30 years includes the Colts, the Chiefs, the Dolphins and the Jets. That's the group the Jets are in.

Go ahead and make some other comparison that makes sense, and just remember that a lot of teams have never won a Super Bowl, the Jets are not in that group so do not include any of them in your comparison.

2. Br4d

And if we find out that we have nothing there you'd accept another 3 or 4 years of bad play?

Chad is the best QB the Jets have at the moment. With a little more seasoning Clemens may be a better option down the road. If he was a better option now he'd be playing.

Mangini had no ties to Chad at all when he picked him to be the starting QB. He didn't draft him, sign him to a big contract or marry his sister. He decided independently that Chad was the best option. I've seen nothing this year that suggests to me that he picked wrong.

Everybody has bad games now and then, deal with it.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

SINCE MERGER which they say is the new NFL is what I am comparing with the Cards/Lions. Actually I think in the way past the Lions won NFL Championships when Bobby Layne was the QB. Both us & KC won SBs in the OLD format (AFL vs NFL) meaning before merger. Sorry to say saying other teams have not win SBs since merger is IMHO rationalizing away why we have not been Champs in 37 years just like the Cards/Lions & others.

4. Br4d

Since merger produces a group of TWO. Jets and Chiefs. That's the group now.

There is NO comparison that you can make that puts the Jets, Lions and Cards in the same group. They just don't fit together. If you can't see that, then I have to seriously question whether or not you can see anything relevant about the NFL.

5. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

dear god, please don't let this thread devolve into the usual and useless champ rhetoric.

6. championjets69

Sorry any team that has not won a CHAMPIONSHIP for 37 years that is in the same league as the NYJs is fair comparison sorry to say since they are losers just like us for the last 37 years. If you cannot see that then sorry to say you do not understand why the NFL regular season is played for

7. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Chad may very well be the best option, but the Jets need to be focused on the future rather then the right now. If Martin was healthy would it make any sense at all to play him over Washington at this point? The mistake the Jets have made in the past is not seeing what they had in their young players. Even with Chad, he didn't see the field until an injury, and then got a monster deal based off 3/4 of a season.

We know what Chad is. We need to see what these other QB's are. It's not like Pennington is going anywhere.

8. championjets69

You know as a aside I have been watching the KC games & see the confidence Herm has in Huard & I think even when Green is healthy Hiard may still remain the starter & when I saw Herm go for a 2 pt conversion with a "backup" QB I began to think really truly how much faith Herm had in #10. It is just a thought

9. Gator

Gator Active Member

How come every monday after a loss you end up in these kind of discussions? Why does yesterdays loss trigger a history of the Jets ineptitude, but when they win it does not. A win against the Browns wouldn't put us in SB contention this year, but you wouldn't be discussing the last 37 years this A. M. had they won. In fact, you would be faking another vacation. You're a troll.

10. championjets69

Check with the poster who brought it up in the 1st place. Also is it not correct that we have not won a championship in 37 years?

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

He pretty vehemently stated that Green will be the starter when he's able to play when he was asked about it in his press conference yesterday. Of course it is Herm we're talking about here.

12. Gator

Gator Active Member

Wasn't it a Monday after a loss when you got banned last time?

13. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

so much for this thread, however I will try and get us back on track.

I don't think that Jet are contenders for the title. However, the Jets are still contenders for the playoffs and if you get in, anything can happen. I would much rather the excitement of a playoff game than having a pick a few spots higher in the draft.

Therefore, while Chad has been (way) off (in every way) for whatever reason, he is the only chance for the Jets to get in the playoffs this season. Only if a losing/non-playoff season is a forgone conclusion do I think the Jets should consider going to Clemmens.

14. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

one bad game, Jets will bounce back

15. championjets69

That maybe so but the feeling I get watching the KC games is completely opposite what he said yesterday. I guess we will see when Green is ready. Maybe he will start him & the 1st mistake Green makes he gets the hook. All I know Herm displayed confidence in Huard who is a backup that I never saw Herm display in Penny who was a starter

16. Sean_in_titletown

Here's why the Jets are in a bit of a tough spot right now. They're 4-4 and have a pretty easy schedule ahead of them for the most part. In all liklihood, they are not going to be able to get a wild card because they're likley to finish 9-7. 9-7 also lands you in the hight teens of the draft...9-7 is a no win situation. You miss the playoffs and are out of reach of the draft's top talent... If you're going to go to Clemens or Smith, do it now and try and improve your draft position if you know what I mean.

at New England L
    Chicago L
    Houston W
    at Green Bay W
    Buffalo W
    at Minnesota L
    at Miami W
    Oakland W

I also have to say that I'm a big fan of Chad Pennington. I have a ton of respect for that guy and his game...

17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I think what happens with Chad all depends on the front office. Clemens has been practicing and they know what he is made of at this point, although he will still mature as time goes on.

If the FO feels that Clemens is the future, then let Pennington play the New England and Chicago games and hopefully win one or be competitive and if we lose them both, let the rookie get a little play time.

I like Chad and would like him to remain our starter and rebuild the defense, but I don't run the team. Pennington has started 8 games in a row and hasn't done that since 02. His arm is probably a little tired. He's healthy and that is more than half of us expected. He'd better be strong enough to start the last 8 games in a row if he wants to keep his job though.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yeah, he also vehemently stated that he was going to be back as the head coach here. As much of a tool as Bellichick is, at least he stood before the cameras and left like a man. A man in a hostage video, but a man nonetheless.

On Chad, I totally disagree with you about looking at younger players at this point. The NFL is too much of a year-to-year proposition anymore, you can't give up on a 4-4 season when half the league normally finishes between 7-9 and 9-7. We can win with Chad for the forseeable future, finding a QB of the future is way down on our list of things to worry about right now. That doesn't mean he isn't going to have a bad game here and there, but if he gives us a chance to win some of those games, like he did yesterday, then I don't see what the problem is.

19. championjets69

Sorry I have to disagree with the second part of your post as it is more important to find the players that will carry us over the top then winning a few more games here & there this year as the end result of the losses will have the hughest benefit for us in the future. Sorry also to disagree then maybe when you are close it is a league year to year but when you need all the players we do to get the big prize it is much more then a year to year thing as you posted

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

How does losing help you get better players? The draft is a crapshoot, you have just as good a chance to get a future Hall of Famer at #20 as you do at #5. I don't think it's worth losing games to move up in the draft at any time. I don't see where benching Pennington off one bad game helps us in any way. We spent most of last year looking at a young QB, how did that work out? Please.