Re-Evaluating Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

That throw was terrible. He basically just launched it as a prayer, it floated, and it was in a spot that led to the sideline coming into play. A good QB rifles that baby in quicker, and we're tied, instead of whining about a force out. The completion before that was a lucky duck too.

2. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

It ends up in Baker's hands in the endzone and it is a "terrible" pass. Right. Got it now. Thanks.

TBTF

3. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

If not for an absolutely incredible play by Baker, we wouldn't even be talking about a force out, it would have been a duck overthrow that hung in the air forever. pro-tip: the less time the ball is in the air, the less time a defense has to react, and the more likely the WR is open and can make a play after the catch as well. If that ball doesn't spend an eon in the air, perhaps Baker lands inbounds and the ref can't screw us. If Chad actually accurately threw on an earlier down, maybe we'd have a TD instead of praying for one on 4th and 4.

4. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

The throw to Baker is the type of throw Chad is known for. When he is on he has uncanny accuracy. It was not a chuck.

5. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Serphinx,

I understand your frustration and respect your opinion. Still, he threw the ball after avoiding two blitzers and still got it into Baker's hands. No one is suggesting that Pennington has a cannon for an arm, or that he played well today. He couldn't step into the throw because he had a blitzer in his face. And if he had thrown it harder and overthrown it or if it had gone off of Baker's hands if he had winged it, all we would hear is how much he sucks and is a choker or what terrible hands CB has. The bottom line is that it hit Baker in the hands and he caught it. The refs robbed us.

TBTF

http://media.putfile.com/BS-FORCE-OUT-CALL-ON-CHRIS-BAKER-AT-END-OF-JETS-BROWNS

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

First a correction - I didn't say that Chad had to lead the team to victory, I said that he has to move the offense. Against a great D or not - you have to be able to move the ball. Yes it is a team game - but Chad will be the 1st to tell you that it ultimately falls on the QB's shoulders to ensure that the team scores.

I've never sung Chad's praises and I've never knocked as a terrible QB. The crux of my point - which Serphnx put very well -is why not see what we have in Clemens or Smith... if the coaching staff sees the future in either of them.

Your post said exactly what I feel. The Jets team as a whole does not have enough horses to be competitive with the upper echelon teams. If that is the case and this is a rebuilding year - then why not rebuild at the most important position?

The last think this franchise needs is to fall into a rut of mediocrity because we won't give the snaps necessary to develop a potential franchise QB.

Again - everything I am saying is based on two items:

1. Does the coaching staff see Pennington as the guy who will be at the helm for the next 2-3 seasons?

2. Does the coaching staff see either Clemens or Smith as the guy who will be at the helm for the next 10-12 seasons?

If the answers are no and yes then why is Chad starting in a year where most can agree that we are a 8-8 team at best?

7. KSJets

KSJets New Member

This works both ways. When the Jets win, the Chad-haters claim he wasn't the reason they won, and when the Jets lose, it's all because of Chad.

See how assinine this whole debate is???

8. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

nm.............

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Not a very good defense of Chad in fact it's a lie if you read the board. The Jets have won primarily because Chad has been smarter and better than the teams we have won against.

My position on Chad from day 1 is when healthy he is smart and can run the O. We have a good enough O when it's run properly even with a dink and dunk O to beat most teams on our schedule. Chad should start because there is no question he is the best QB on our team. Chad does not have a pro QB arm. You can talk arm strength all you want and how it isn't necessary but that's just total BS. If you go to Central park on the weekend and watch some of the touch football games, there are 45 year old stock brokers with better arms than Chad. Now that teams have seen what we do on O recievers are being disrupted and pure timeing passes aren't as effective. The weather is also turning and that effects timeing. I also think Pennington may be hurt or just has a tired arm? He's qb rating, he's TD to INT ratio are all heading south the more games he plays.

The OL is blocking well, the running game is effective we have 2WR and a TE that can play with anyone in this league and we are playing against the dregs of the league. Chad is worth every Penny we are paying him right now, he is helping this team rebuild, but if he doesn't turn his game around, he is going to play himself out of the league.

#49 winstonbiggs, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  10. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Let's not put it all on Chad. The play calling was horrid. All day they passed and ran the ball up the middle. It got so predictable that even I knew (felt like Hackett was back as OC) what was going to happen. The Browns were just waiting on every play. There was a no run to the edges, no OL being pulled, no draws, everything up the gut. Every pass down the middle of the field. It was like the CS forgot about the 2/3 of the field.

When the play calling is that bad, and the defense is able to sit and wait because they know what is going to happen, there is only so much a QB can do. Not making excuses for Penny, but A LOT of the blame has to be on Schott and Mangini.

#50 dabrowsk1, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but thats my point. Im not going to put it all on Chad..because that should never be the expectation.

Chad isnt the type of qb that will carry a team. He just isnt.

As I mentioned in the post...he is accurate most of the time but is a true system qb. He cant go against a great defense and tear them apart because of his limitations.

I also mentioned in the post that Chad could qb a superbowl winning QB..just like Johnson did..just like Dilfer did. Just that right now..where the Jets are talent wise, they need a qb to carry them..and he cant. Not to say if the Jets build a great defense...and develop a solid running game, Chad could still be the perfect qb for this team.

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I see your point and I agree. Myself, I am MUCH more dissappointed in the play calling and lack of adjustment by the CS, than I am by Penny or the bad call by the refs.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Most people on this board cannot understand what you are saying especially when you extend out beyond yesterdays games. What you posted is what I have been saying for many moons that Penny while it US the best chance at winning NOW he is not the QB that is going to get us the ring in the forth coming years.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think he could be getting to the "BJ Askew" part of his marital relationship. This is about the time when it starts to kick in.

Chad will work through it.

15. JetPulse

JetPulse New Member

Need a Change

Pennington is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL on his good days. And, vica versa.
    It's hard to blame him for the problems when the protection is so bad.
    We keep running the ball between the tackles and having no success.
    Establishing the run does not require between the tackles running.
    Yet, we keep on doing that over and over. Instead of trying to contain the defense we keep trying to break it apart in the middle. And, since establishing the run is part of that pass protection we keep failing.
    When a quarterback is getting sacked and rushed as many times as Chad is in games it is very understandable that composure is lost.
    So, even though I think Chad should remain the starter, I think that we should go to a gameday rotation of quarterbacks as long as the pass protection is not at a satisfactory level.
    I think Brad Smith should be included in that rotation. Because, as long as the protection is not there Brad's evasion becomes more important then the unproven arm.
    -Keep Chad as starter
    -Rotate QB's
    -Stop running up the middle

16. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

The playcalling was horrible...just horrible. Some of those 3rd down calls were borderline retarded.

The lack of adjustments on defense were horrific. How you go into a game against a team that can just run the ball on a good day..and not straighten out the problem until the end of the 3rd quarter is beyond me.

Let Charlie Frye beat you..and if he does..two things.

1. Way to go Charlie.

2. We are much worse on defense then even I thought.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whether or not you believe Chad is the answer for the Jets longterm, the facts are that we're 2-6 at best without him this year. We have rolled nobody, all the wins have been tight and with a rookie QB or the reject from Washington we wouldn't have won half of them.

I don't believe in going 4-12 in back to back seasons. That's how a team gets a lousy attitude again and turns into the Cardinals or Lions...

18. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Holy shit, you made a post with more than one sentence and wasn't riddled with unnecessary smiley faces.

Edit: wait, you aren't the same guy, are you?

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Here's where I disagree with you and with 3rd. For as bad as he played yesterday--it happens--he still ducked the blitz on 4th down and threw what was in reality the game tying TD. He didn't "mentally check out" or get frustrated and start screaming at WRs or OLs like some QBs do, he composed hmself and took the team down the field with the game on the line.

Should the game have come down to that? No. Is Chad part of the reason? Sure he is, so is the defense. But don't tell me because the refs blew the call that Chad wasn't capable of putting a bad day aside and winning the game for us. If he got the last one batted and picked off then I'd take this discussion more seriously.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I agree with you but if we lose the next two and Chad is lousy in both losses, do you give Clemens the opportunity to get his feet wet against some of the lesser NFL talent in real game conditions or do you just ride it out?

I'm not convinced Clemens is the answer even down the road but if he is at all being groomed to be that, this could be the perfect opportunity for him to get into some real game conditions.