Re-Evaluating Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 29, 2006.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

See U R expecting huge things this year even after watching the way the Brownies O & D line chewed up our O & D lines whereas I OTH do not expect much from them this year which is why I say lets see ASAP what KC has to offer NYJ fans

2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If the Jets loose the next two Games Clemens must play. We have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Chad's window has passed. I like Chad and I think he is a great guy but realistically he will not be around when we are ready to compete. If not for our cupcake schedule we would be 1-7 right now.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Herm is gone. Mangini plays rookies and young guys if he feels they should be playing--at OL, RB, CB, wherever he sees fit. And again there was an open compettion for the QB job in camp. The Brady scenario was under the great Bill Bellichick who has brought 3 SBs to NE, so what's your point?

4. Italian Seafood

I expect us to compete each game with our best players, as we've done in every game this year except for Jacksonville. I'm not basing everything on the last game as you want to do now because it was a loss.

5. championjets69

Reread your post is to when Chad finally got his chance which is why I posted what I posted as a response to it. Again one more time lets agree to disagree on this issue until you see us faltering badly enough to give KC the shot

6. Italian Seafood

If we falter badly then it would make sense to give Clemens a shot, but 4-4, 2-1 in the division is not faltering badly, it is being in the thick of things at the halfway point. If we win a couple games after the bye I'm sure you'll be on another "vacation" until we lose again, right champ?

7. championjets69

The Browns comment was a comparison to point you towards a severe weakness we presently have. Since nobody has seen KC in live game action it is hard to say if he has more goods to offer us suffering NYJ fans then CP has. Hopefully the CS is doing a careful evulation of this on a daily bases

8. championjets69

Actually I am departing today for the fun & sun of a foreign country for a few weeks. So adios to U for a bit.

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The "earliest" time I said for putting Clemens in as "the starter" would be after the Pats and Bears games. From what I've seen from Chad so far in his career he is not a guy you want to be counting on. Whether it's injury or coming up small against good defenses Chad hasn't shown me anything to inspire confidence.

Sure, he usually gets the job done against the weaker opponents due to his lack of risky throws, his QB rating friendly dump offs and "smarts" but this kind of play only takes you so far. You need LOTS of talent at other positions to win with this type of QB.

10. Italian Seafood

Fun? champ? Haha, have a good time man, we'll mix it up some more when you come back and we're 6-4. :up:

11. Italian Seafood

Most QBs do struggle against good defenses, that's why they are good defenses. As long as we have a chance to do something this year I don't see how you trust anyone but Chad. I don't know what you're going by that you've seen in his career, I see a guy who has won a couple playoff games for us. If it goes the other way, then we'll have a chance to see Clemens, I'm sure. Mangini just started a CB who we didn't even think would make the team, so I don't doubt he'll make a move if/when the time becomes right.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I'd agree with everyone saying Chad seems to be playing worse as the season goes on. Funny thing though...if we had a legitimate pass rush this topic probably wouldn't have even been started.

True story.

13. championjets69

Hope you right I will be back after the NE game so we should be 4-5 with Chic on deck. One last thought that comes to mind it appears CP cap hit will be around 10M this year & do you think he is worth that type money?

14. Italian Seafood

Our front office seems to be pretty adept at working the cap situation. If he's still running our offense and winning games they'll pay him accordingly. If he loses his job to Clemens and is a backup, they'll also handle it accordingly. The cap is the least of our worries with this regime, I think.

15. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

It doesn?t make any sense to bring Clemens at this point. As posted before we are right in the mix we are 2-1 in the division. What are you expecting Mangini to bring in Clemens and tank the rest of the season?

16. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Why do you people root against our players? Clemens is an NYJ, you should hope he wins, but you're busy hoping he loses all his games before he's even started one. I just don't understand how you can ever expect to have an NFL frachise if you refuse to ever start a QB you drafted high. This type of thinking kept Chad on the bench for 4 years. I like VT as much as the next guy, but he shoulda been replaced way earlier than he was.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Everyone hopes he wins and is a good QB, but the honest truth is Clemens had a chance to win the starting job and he didn't do it. He is not ready. He is not the guy that give/gave us our best shot at winning football games. Generally, I would wager most rookie QB's are not able to lift a poor football team onto their shoulders and run with it. The ones that have suceeded are usually guys with stronger teams around them. But like I said, moot point seeing as he did not win the job in the first place.

18. Italian Seafood

Nobody's rooting against him, if he plays I hope he turns into the next great QB. But you're acting on the assumption that he will be, when the reality is that happens every 10-15 years or so. So at 4-4 with half a season to play, it's not worth the chance and not fair to the other players on the team not to play the QB who gives you the best chance to win.

One reason Chad did so well right away was that he had a couple seasons to watch and learn, and Vinny had just taken the team to the playoffs in 2001, so Sept 2002 was probably the right time to make that move. Hard to argue with the results of 2001 or 2002.

19. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I don't assume he's going to be good. I have my doubts just like everyone else, but I want to see him play before I declare Clemens playing as tanking the season. I don't think he could have done much worse than Chad against the Browns though.

20. Italian Seafood