RB Prospects in the 2024 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Mar 18, 2024.

?

What do you think JD should do at RB?

1. Sign a veteran as either the #2 or #3 RB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Draft a RB

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets need another RB. Breece is the starter, but will Abanikanda move up to the #2 RB position, or will he remain at #3, and the Jets either sign a veteran RB or draft one? JD has drafted a RB in every draft so far, so if history means anything, he will probably draft another this year. If he drafts a RB, what type of RB will he look to draft? a power RB to contrast with Breece and Abankanda? Another shifty burner like Abanikanda? A Breece lite? In doing some cursory research, it's interesting to see how differently some of the sites rate the RBs.

What type of RB do you think the Jets should add?

Below are some links that rate the RBs and a link to the FA RBs who are still available. The RB rankings are very interesting, because they are all over the place.

#1 NCJetsfan, Mar 18, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  2. NCJetsfan

If the Jets are moving to more of a Gap Blocking scheme, I'd like to see JD add a power RB. Breece has power, but he's not what I'd call a "power" RB. Adding a power RB would give them 3 different kinds of weapons at RB. The Jets could alternate their use as the situation dictated. I don't care if they draft or sign one. With this being an "all in" year, it would probably make more sense to sign a FA.. I believe that Cam Akers is, but he's missed a lot of games in his career, so he would be risky. D'Onta Foreman looks like he is. Latavius Murray appears to be one as well, but he's 34. Does he have any gas left in his tank? He appeared in 16 games last season, but aside from the 2022 season where he only appeared in one game, he had the fewest rushing yards of his career.

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but JD has taken a RB in every draft so I feel he will continue that trend.

The best RB in this draft is Trey Benson by a mile. He’s David Johnson 2.0

I’m not sure he’d be there in the 3rd but if he is I’m taking him.

4. NCJetsfan

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-rb-prospects-no-1-to-29

Potential short-yardage/power backs in the draft:

Braelon Allen Wisconsin
    Audric Estimé Notre Dame
    Ray Davis Kentucky
    Jase McClellan Alabama
    Rasheen Ali Marshall
    Dillon Johnson Washington
    Frank Gore, Jr. Southern Mississippi
    Kendall Milton UGA
    Isaiah Davis S. Dakota St.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-position-rankings-running-backs

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-top-15-running-back-prospects/

themorey likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've always liked RBs ever since I saw Jim Brown chew up yards for the Browns. However, the game has evolved to a passing game and RBs are almost passe. You can no longer rely on a running game and expect to win consistently. Nevertheless, a RB can give the fan a lot of thrills as we have seen Breece Hall do. Also a good RB can help in short yardage and goal line situations. With that criteria in mind here are three I wouldn't mind if the Jets drafted them.

1. Braelon Allen, Wisconsin, 6'2" 245 lbs. I've always been partial to big powerful backs because they can wear a defense down trying to stop them.
    2. Blake Corum, Michigan, 5'8" 213. Not big, but packs a lot of weight for his frame. Maybe another MJD. This guy scored 27 TDs this year which tells me he must have a nose for the end zone. Something the Jets could use at RB.
    3. Isaac Guerendo, Louisville, 6'1" 225. Here's a guy that not only is big, but fast. I think he ran a sub 4.40 at the combine.

themorey, abyzmul and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ralebird likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s the perfect year to get a power back. I think Allen is going to be a star. He still played well but Wisconsin put him in a shotgun spread offense this last year and it was just silly to use him like that.

Audric Estime is also a monster. I think Corum flops in the NFL personally. Very slow foot speed into the hole.

westiedog1, NCJetsfan and abyzmul like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ralebird likes this.