Randy Gregory fails drug test

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cgrec, Mar 26, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True, but I expect Fowler to be gone. Some teams may consider Beasley worthy of the #6 pick, but I can't see anyone thinking Ray is worthy of the #6 pick.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand loving his potential, but as 101_Gang_Green_101 has said in several posts, "potential" can really get you into trouble in the draft. Vernon Gholston had a ton of potential too. So did Ryan Leaf and many others.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Ray was coming off of an injury during the combine. A strong showing in a pro day or a workout could move him up.

You also have guys like Dupree that some team could fall in love with.

4. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

What a dumass. You knew you were going to be tested.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont really care that he smokes weed. He's not the first and he wont be the last. It should be legal for players anyway, they put their bodies through hell, and weed helps.

But how can you fail a drug test that you know is coming up. This screams Josh Gordon. And it sucks because weed really isnt a big deal. But if it is going to cost you games and in Gordon's case, seasons, I have no room for you in the first 2 rounds.

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

One less defender to fuck up our first round pick!!!!!!!!

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Most players are not as stupid as Josh Gordon. I would like to think he is more the exception then the rule.

There are several players that have had some concerns but turned out to be amazing players without any trouble during their careers.

Josh Gordon just isn't willing to grow up, for whatever reason. He should hold no weight in this situation.

8. jcass10

Gregory tested positive for weed when he knew he was going to get tested. That automatically makes you an idiot in my book. Is there any guarantee that he follows the career path of Josh Gordon, not at all. But I'm not taking that chance with the 6th pick in the draft.

9. IIMeanDeanII

Yeah, so if you could have Justin Houston with the 6th pick in the draft, you would pass on him too? In a do-over?

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No GM in their right mind would take Gordon at six after he admits to have a problem with marijuana, failed a test at the combine and multiple tests in college..won't happen. Leave him for Jerry Jones, at least he won't get fired the first time he fails a test in the NFL.

11. jcass10

So I cannot use Josh Gordon as a frame of reference, but you can use Justin Houston?

The point is there is a ton of risk there(Gordon vs Houston), I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking a player at 6 if he cant pass a drug screening he knows is coming.

12. IIMeanDeanII

My point is, just because one player never grew up, doesn't mean another one wont. If you don't take risks in life, you never get anywhere, that theory applies to everything.

I see nothing to lose, considering this franchise has been a shitty franchise for 40+ years now. It's time to take some calculated risks, this kid is going to be a very good player in this league if he does stay away from the pot. I think it is a very easy thing for a player to do, most players do grow up from something like this.

I truly feel Gordon is the exception to the rule, there are more players that fixed the problem, then players that remained a problem.

Gregory is worthy of being a top 10 pick in this draft, he fits a huge need for our defense, I would absolutely take the chance on him if the scenario is right.

13. jcass10

And just because one player overcame, doesnt mean another will.

I have no problem if the Jets take a calculated risk. Jameis Winston is a calculated risk. If the Jets took Winston it would totally be worth the risk, because we'd be drafting the most important position in sports. Gregory is a good prospect who may not even be the best OLB in the draft.

I see no point in take such a huge risk for an OLB.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I was hoping Washington would pick him but I don't think they will now, just means they might be more likely to pick someone that could have otherwise fallen to us. I hope we don't pick him up unless we traded back and got him in the late teens or something. He's got the talent and maybe it's being a little overly cautious to assume he's addicted or going to be kicked out of the league in the next few seasons but I don't like him at 6th overall, too many other good options even for pass rushers let alone all the other positions available.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Forget the weed concerns, no want the oft-injured skinnymalink.

16. IIMeanDeanII

There are way more success stories with players that failed a drug test because of weed, then not. Just saying.

Winston, prospects, that all becomes personal opinion at that point. I don't think Winston is worth the risk, I think he has way more valid red flags than Gregory and I don't even like the kids game tape. The only reason he is hyped as much as he is, is because he had a great record playing QB for a traditional style offense.

He wasn't super impressive, he isn't extremely talented as an athlete. He is just the best option, I don't think that is a great outlook for any player in any draft.

Again, It's personal preference at that point. I do happen to think Gregory is hands down the best OLB prospect in this draft, without any doubt in my mind, I think he is. So yeah, I would take that risk, it is the third hardest position to find a good player at, so It is also worth it without a doubt at 6. IMO

17. jcass10

If you're willing to risk the 6th overall pick on an OLB who failed a drug test that he knew was coming, that is your prerogative. It could end up working out.

I think its insane. But I'm not a GM.

#77 jcass10, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  18. IIMeanDeanII

See, that's hypocritical though.

How can you justify taking Winston at 6?

A player with more off the field, idiot type moves, who also played extremely poorly his final year at FSU. Even though he had a good offense, he still played like ass.

I just don't understand the logic.

If your case is the importance of position, that's flawed too. If Winston was the best prospect coming out since Peyton Manning, ok, I might bite, but he is not that prospect coming out of college. OLB/EDGE is the third most important position on any team, so It's not like we are talking about an unimportant position here.

To each their own though.

74 likes this.
  19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member