Ramsey to visit Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 8, 2006.

1. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Exactly. When Gibbs first took over, I think everyone was under the impression that Ramsey was the guy in Washington.

Then in the blink of an eye, there were talks about Gibbs wanted to bring in Brunell. It just seems to me that he had it in for Ramsey from the start. I stand by my original statement, Ramsey will flourish if given the opportunity.

2. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Ramsey was the starter when Gibbs 1st got there but lost to Mark. Gibbs gave him the chance and he did nothing with it.

3. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

The best thing about Ramsey IMO, is that he brings alot of upside,wouldn't cost us much from a draft pick standpoint ,and at the same time would be signed to a cap friendly contract.

4. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

The fact that the current front office got us out of salary cap hell does nothing for you? You still think we would be better off with Bradway and Herm?

5. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I have no problem with getting rid of Bradway,but I do think w would be better off then Herm. I hope I'm wrong and if I am I will be the first person to say so,but if I'm right and Herm is doing great in KC I will also be the first to say so.

6. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's easy to coach a team that is loaded with talent and Vets, simlar to the one he stepped into here. Show me KC 5 years from now, and I'll show you the Jets right now.

Ellis

7. Pride

Pride New Member

5years, more like 2 or 3. trent green is getting up there in age and that o line is aging.

8. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

The thing that bothered me most about herm, is that he never shouldered the burden of managing a whole offense or defense upon arrival. I think that was unfortunately reflected in his lack of clock management skills. I like the fact that he was able to have some success here, but like you said, he was playing with alot of young talent that was carried over from the Parcells regime. Kind of in the same way Pete Carroll had some success with the Pats.
    Of course Carroll was viewed as a failure there because of the lofty expectations the team had after coming off a SB appearance in 96

9. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Nice, he would be a nice add to the team.

10. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

word :beer:

11. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Ramsey and Brunell 2004

Ramsey: 7 starts, 62.1 comp percentage, 1665 yds 10 TD 11INT

Brunell: 9 starts, 49.8 comp percentage, 1194 yds 7TD 6INT

Ramsey did nothing with it? I looks to me like brunell did MORE of nothing. I stand by my statement. Gibbs never gave Ramsey a fair shot. He simply did not like him from the start.

#71 EvilClownFace, Mar 8, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

lol ramsey on pace for 22 ints. i really hope the jets dont touch this guy.

13. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Yeah the ints were high, but he didn't exactly have an o-line in front of him.

All I'm saying is as far as free agent QB's go I think he would be our best option.

14. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

After seeing those numbers, it reinforces my statement that Ramsey is, and has been the best qb in washington. Try and keep in mind that he would at least serve as a very good back up with upside, while not costing us vey much in any regard.

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'd trade a 4th for him, and not bat an eye doing it. I think he can win in this league.

16. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

I agree. I can't think of a better option at qb outside the draft. To be honest I'm really not that crazy about anyone we could get in the draft either, at least not at the cost of giving up the ability to select other blue chip prospects. QB's are just such a wild card coming out of college. I think I'd rather get an offensive line established and then address the qb position depending on how things pan out after this season.

17. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Do you live on Planet Moronski? The Football World = Real World. You get hired for your pedigree and who you know. I know you have man love for Herm, so how do you think he got hired? Bradway was in KC, Herm was in KC, Bradway went to NY, Herm was hired in NY.

To your point (and I can't believe I'm saying that), a coach should not be hired on pedigree alone. But you don't become DC of the Patriots because you got BB coffee and took his dirty clothes to the laundry. EM may be the worst HC ever, we don't know. But he was able to perform credibly by getting a patchwork defensive backfield to perform and by running the defense of a World Championship caliber team.

And let me say finally, Herm = DB coach for Tampa before he was hired by the Jets. Mangini = D-Coordinator for the Patriots. So, you could argue (and I don't mean you could, but one could) that Mangini is a more qualified hire than Cool-Aid boy.

18. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Exactly. He wouldn't cost us much.

If we draft a QB with the 4, we're going to have to give him a huge contract. On top of that, he's going to have to grow accustomed to the NFL level of play. Then, there's always the chance that he doesn't pan out.

With Ramsey you're getting a young QB who's durability wouldn't be a question behind a young line because he's already proved he can take a pounding (see any of the games he played under
    Spurrier). Also, he's a fiery competitive guy, and has a good arm. Not to mention the fact that he will not need time to get used to the speed of the NFL.

We can address other needs in the draft (trade down from 4 and grab a kings ransom) and if Ramsey doesn't look like he's going to pan out, it's not too late to try to grab a QB in next years draft.

Who knows, if we trade down from 4, we may get another #1 for next season. If that's the case we could possibly trade up and grab a Brady Quinn. IMO taking a chance on Ramsey just makes sense.

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

they want a 2nd or a 3rd for him is he worth that?

20. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

They want a 6th for him before they likely will release him depending on where cap situations falls