R.I.P. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jixxjr, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-general/20150801/WRE-Obit-Roddy-Piper/

WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61

By DAN GELSTON, AP
    1 hour ago

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, the kilt wearing trash-talker who headlined the first WrestleMania and later found movie stardom, died Friday. He was 61.
    The WWE confirmed the death. The wrestling organization provided no additional details.
    Piper, born Roderick Toombs in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, is the second WWE Hall of Famer to die this summer, following the June death of Dusty Rhodes. Piper's death also comes days after Hulk Hogan, his biggest rival for decades, was fired by the WWE. Hogan had used racial slurs in a conversation captured on a sex tape.
    Piper and Hogan battled for years and headlined some of the biggest matches during the 1980s. Hogan and Mr. T beat Piper and Paul Orndorff on March 31, 1985, at the first WrestleMania at Madison Square Garden.
    Piper was a villain for the early portion of his career, once cracking a coconut over the skull of Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka. He hosted a popular WWF talk show segment called "Piper's Pit" in the 1980s and later starred in the movie "They Live."
    WWE chairman Vince McMahon called Piper "one of the most entertaining, controversial and bombastic performers ever in WWE, beloved by millions of fans around the world."
    Piper's son, Colt Toombs, posted to Twitter: "My father @R—Roddy—Piper was a great man and my best friend I will miss him forever and will always try to be the man he raised me to be."
    Piper also went by the nickname "Hot Rod" during his career. Although he was Canadian, he often appeared in a kilt and came to the ring blowing bagpipes in a nod to his Scottish heritage.
    Piper was best known for his lengthy career with the World Wrestling Federation, now the WWE. He had more than 30 titles to his name and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame 2005.
    "Saddened about the passing of "Rowdy" Roddy Piper," tweeted Paul "Triple H" Levesque, a wrestler and top WWE executive. "He was truly a legend and icon, and will never be forgotten... #ThankYouRoddy #RIP."
    Piper became a household name because of his rivalry with Hogan, and the involvement of pop star Cyndi Lauper and her friend Captain Lou Albano, also a wrestler. The feud led to an MTV special "The War to Settle the Score" in 1985. Piper was cast as the villain, and his disqualification led to Hogan claiming the WWF championship.
    A brawl at the end of that fight would lead to the first WrestleMania.
    Piper also had well-known rivalries with Rick Rude and Adrian Adonis, among others.
    In addition to his celebrity in the ring, Piper appeared in John Carpenter's 1988 cult classic "They Live." In that film, he delivered the memorable line: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass — and I'm all out of bubblegum."
    "He was a great wrestler. He was an underrated actor and just a marvelous entertainer and I feel like I've just lost one of my close friends," Carpenter told The Associated Press.
    Carpenter said when he last saw Piper, his friend had just had shoulder surgery but was doing well.
    "His outlook was very good," he said. "Roddy will always be loved because of his wrestling career," Carpenter said. "He really became a legend in pro wrestling. He will not be forgotten."
    Former "Survivor" star Jonny Fairplay started work in 2001 as Piper's personal assistant.
    "I would wake him up in the morning and yell at him from the door of his bedroom," he said. "I'd say, 'Hailing from Glasgow, Scotland, the guy who never beat Hulk Hogan.'"
    Fairplay named his daughter Piper in honor of the wrestler.
    "Rowdy Piper should be remembered as the greatest bad guy of all time," he said.
    More recently, Piper appeared in the show "Celebrity Wife Swap," trading wives with fellow former wrestler Ric Flair.
    Piper battled Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2006, but later said he had beaten the cancer.
    In recent months, Piper was active in the charity Stand For The Silent, an organization aimed at honoring the victims of bullying and bringing awareness to the issue.
    Piper is survived by wife Kitty and their four children.
    ———
    Associated Press writers Anne Peterson and Anthony McCartney contributed to this report.

TNJet, Truth4U2, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

sad
    r.i.p. rowdy,
    pipers pit was can't miss tv on saturday morning growing up

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I 'm all out of bubblegum.

stinkyB, Hobbes3259, pdxdrew and 3 others like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I guess Hell came to Frogtown. RIP Roddy.

6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

We do have a Wrestling thread for this already, but when a legend this big dies, I get the separate thread.

It'd be nice for you guys to join us in that thread so it would be more active.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Loved that movie!
    RIP Mr. Piper!!

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I used to intermittently watch wrestling, was never a huge fan, but Rowdy Roddy was by far my favorite.

9. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

Sad news. One of the greatest bad guys of all time. Maybe THE greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

CBG likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

" just when you think you ave all the answers I change the questions ". Very saddened by this news my favorite wrestler growing up and not much older than me ! RIP Hot Rod

12. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Was never a big fan of the wrestling, but watched "They Live" in his honor today.

Cool, funny movie.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Geez what a great movie.

RIP Rowdy.

_

14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Roddy was a local wrestling legend on the Portland circuit and had a place near Hillsboro, I believe. He was coming off the baggage claim at PDX airport and my friend who worked security there goes up and quotes the bubblegum line and Roddy just smiles and tips him twenty bucks. Prince of a man. Sad loss.

TNJet and NYJalltheway like this.
  15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

One of my favorites....

In homage to Piper, maybe the greatest thing the WWF/E ever did. Hot Rod fucking stole this shit

BTW count all the dead wrestlers in the video....

Macho Man Randy Savage @ :14
    The Missing Link @ :29
    Captain Lou Albano @ :31
    Classy Freddie Blassie @ :35
    Chief Jay Strongbow @ :50
    Junk Yard Dog @ 1:41
    Special Delivery Jones @ 1:46 (I think his line in the song is faster than his match with King Kong Bundy)
    Fabulous Moolah @ 3:46
    Uncle Elmer @ 4:02

There are probably more but I'd need to see an HD version and in slow mo..... I forgot about a bunch of these guys too. Man Luscious Johnny V, Haku (who I think was the Tonga Kid at the time) The Killer Bees. I guess Savage didn't want to sing as he was at that point a bigger star than guys lie Hillbilly Jim and Nikolai Volkoff. Honestly now that I think about I don't even think Savage was in the cartoon on Saturday mornings. Also strangely missing is Andre the Giant who might have been the biggest star in the business at that time as Hulkamania hadn't yet taken off.

TNJet likes this.
  16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Great Effing Movie. Brilliant social commentary...

Most people, don't get the allusion....

(Pssst...commercialization, is not Capitalism...)

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Piper was the best. RIP Rowdy Roddy.

18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

"You do not throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!"

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

"Mr T., never will I shave my head like an Indian or paint myself black."

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Still so hard to sink in that this guy is gone,,,,,,,way too young,,,,,shame