Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Basically America in a nutshell:
    Man, if the politics section wasn't locked....

These contracts are getting really overinflated.
    Think about this- Reggie White played 16 years and had career earnings of 130M

We sure are paying more to go to the games, drink beer and watch at home. Not sure the product is better though...again, America!

more for less

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

130M in in the late 1980s and 1990s when White played is about 300M today. By comparison, Aaron Donald's career earnings are 129M so far through 9 seasons. If he plays another 6 seasons, he could end up with 300M (since he's only been making big bucks through 5 seasons so far), but inflation-adjusted, he's not making more money than White did.

Ralebird and KingRoach like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know it is unfair to them, but rookies get screwed in any CBA. Why? Because player associations have to take care of current players first, and rookies (i.e. future players who are currently not even in NFL or a part of PA) get fucked. In this context getting fucked means first 5 years are below market value of their production in a lot of cases of 1st round players. In return the % of revenue owed to players that are saved on rookies, goes to vets. There is nothing that can be done about it. It's not that JD is cheap or anything like that, it means that's what was agreed upon and contractually obligated between NFL and PA well before Q even got there. JD saves on rookies and has to pay more to vets to be competitive. First 5 years of any 1st round player are given at a discount to the teams that drafts you.

To change that and get big money sooner Q needs to make some concessions, because he is currently fully under contract for this year. It seems to me (granted based on rumors) that Q wants more than what the market was already set by others. He wants closer to Donald money even though he only had one elite season out of 4 and is fully under contract. I doubt JD will concede to that, and as I mentioned earlier there is nothing Q can do about it. Erasing the Jets from social media, not going to voluntary workouts is really the only recourse he has. Everything else will be financially penalized as he is fully under contract for this year courtesy of CBA.

I think he will show up like Lamar did last year for the Ravens for mandatory stuff. Then ultimately most likely we will reach long term extension. Hopefully it will be this year if he is willing to take 23-25 per year, with about 70 (basically almost 3 years) guaranteed. But if not, we can always revisit next year, like Ravens did with Lamar. Fair or not, these are the agreed upon rules...

#143 Borat, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    ouchy likes this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He’s getting what, 10m this year? If we franchise him next year it’ll cost us 20m. If we franchise him the following year after that it goes to like 24m from what I’ve read. So why do we want to give him 23-25m a year now? How in the world does that make sense?

edray10 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well among other things it would be nice to have him at camp, franchise tag him and you likely dont see him until week 1. A big boy like Q Williams, I want him eating here at the facility

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think what would be fair under the circumstances is something like this, maybe a bit more:
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jeffery-simmons-29054/

It's like a 4 years extension, so you still preserve that cheap 5th year of his rookie deal, plus add 4 more years on top of it, but give more upfront, guarantee more money, lower this year's cap hit, spread more around, keep the guy happy, set precedent for other rookies, follow the market that was just set by Lawrence and Simmons. I don't have an issue with that. Where I have a problem is if Q goes beyond the set market closer to Aaron Donald, while only playing one great year so far and not really having any leverage at all. Then just let him play for 10 mil like you said, and we can tag him next year.

7. RochesterJet

I think you missed the point....either way, 300M for a 10 year career is hyperinflated for the product on the field. Is the NFL that much better then it was in the 90's?

I'd argue the product isn't as good, for a number of reasons.

Same with society ;)

NOVAJET likes this.
  8. RochesterJet

Exactly, Jets are in the drivers seat...The advantage to a longer-term deal is the ability to spread the cap hits though.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. Rookies have done nothing in the pros and should get paid less until they prove they are up to the job - which many of them are not. And first-round picks have fully guaranteed four-year deals that make them rich men for life (assuming they aren't idiots, big assumption I know) without ever playing a down, while run-of-the-mill veterans have to settle for veteran minimum.

10. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

should have traded him, just like Jamal Adams, right before the draft

NY Jets68 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, let me ask you this then. If it were completely free market, on average do you think 1st round rookies would score bigger contracts that are currently guaranteed or smaller? Keep in mind, contracts generally are given not for what you have done, but for what teams think you will do, and potential is a big part of it.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In the old free market, Zach Wilson would have commanded around 30 million a year by today's standards just to sign him. Talk about needing to hit on a top pick, it used to be crucial to your future.

Before rookie contracts, top 10 rookie picks were often the highest paid players on the team, before even playing a down. This had huge impacts and often made teams not even want a high draft pick because they couldn't afford signing the player - especially the #1 overall. Draft pick holdouts over money were a fairly common thing.

This is why we traded our first overall in 1997 instead of taking Pace, because we had just taken Keyshwn 1st overall in 96 and had to pay him 11 million over 4 years to get him to sign. Not huge by today's standards but the cap was 40 million back then. Plus we had just paid O'Donnell a fortune. Its also why top 10 picks didn't have the trade value they now have.

In 2021 and 22, we took the #2, #4, #10, #14, & #26 overall. Without the rookie contracts it would have eaten up the bulk of our cap.

13. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

QW is immature. You're under contract. You basically want a trade now – and baiting other GMs to inquire. Just silly stuff.

Acad23 likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly, Ouchy. And for a while, each year the overall No.1 draft pick had a good chance of signing the biggest contract in NFL history.

There’s nothing wrong with having to earn a huge contract.

KingRoach, ouchy and Jets79 like this.
  15. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

It's like a little boy having a hissy fit when he doesn't get what he wants.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And that's my point exactly. Q may think he deserves a lot more now and I do not disagree, but he is still on rookie contract and rookie scale. Because the NFL revenue % the players get overall is fixed, that means the vets will be better taken care of because of cheaper rookie scale compared to free market. That's how the system works. It's not JD's, Woody's, or anyone's fault, that's what was agreed upon by the owners and players. So, he needs to get in line and get the market value in his circumstance, which should look very similar to this, perhaps a bit higher: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jeffery-simmons-29054/

If not, play out a year for 10 mil, take all the risks, like Lamar did, and let's talk again next year. And if this year will not be elite or he has a serious injury, etc, it will be a completely different discussion.

#156 Borat, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    ouchy likes this.
  17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think it was when Sam Bradford went #1 and got that crazy deal before stepping foot on an NFL field when players/teams knew something had to change.

Pretty sure following year after Bradford the CBA changed to rookie scale in its current form

ukjetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

We just paid his brother a 3-year deal. come on.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, we do not disagree on that. Just that it is below fair free market value. I am actually in favor of set pay scale for rookies system.

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Ptflea2 likes this.