Quick Look at 2020:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 3, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree with using FA for depth. And there could be several good free agents available. I just think pay 20 mill for Clowney is unreasonable. If we could get Peters on a good deal, I like Peters. He's definitely better than Tru. But I don't want to pay 18 millin per year. If we get good deals on the o line I'm ok with it. I'm just tired of over paying for garbage.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Beki

Beki Active Member

Except Compton, he is terrible. :D + Winters played through the last 2-3 seasons with injury.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Winters sucks. He was really good when we signed James Carpenter and ran exclusively away from where Winters was. He can be hidden along a good line but as a whole he's not a very good lineman.

Peebag, NYJFOREVER, mrjet80 and 3 others like this.
  4. Beki

Beki Active Member

Unfiortunately, I was interrupted when I wrote my post, so I just quickly posted it. :(
    Regarding cap space: you are right, I just checked the current cap rollover situation + next year possible cap space (200M cap expected by OTC).

Of course, Winters performance was trash, I would just keep him till we sign someone better. If we can, depend on OL market.

Bellamy: dunno, I just thought he doesn't deserve that 2.25M, but yeah...our WR corp.. if Enunwa cannot return, our only starting caliber WR with contract in 2020 -> is Crowder. :/

OL and CB FA: why I mentioned CB as primary focus during FA, is that I expect to draft OL guys in 1st and 2nd round. If we draft another DT, I would give up.

To summarize: I think we can agree, that JD has a lot of work to be done and how Maccagnan fucked this roster up. I still cannot believe, that mother***** be our GM for 4 years...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

I don't know that we take OL in the top 2 rounds. Lamb and Higgins could both improve this offense massively, there are some in the 2nd round as well that could. Free Agency will be a big tell of where were are going in. Also trades could majorly effect what we take. Hopefully Douglas is very active but doesn't over spend.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Douglas drafts another DT in an early round, you won't be alone in giving up.

Peebag and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think almost any amount over $10 million for Clowney is unreasonable. He just makes too few plays, and has been injured too much in his career, at least early. Either he's not a good fit in Seattle, has regressed, or just doens't work hard to get better. He did get 9 sacks in 2017 when Watt only played 5 games, and 9.5 last season when Watt had 16, but only has 3 in Seattle this season. That's why I said forget about Clowney. I wouldn't even consider signing him. I'd much rather have Judon or Ngakoue.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to pay Peters $18 million per season, either, as I don't think any CB is worth that much, but he's pretty darned good and he gets interceptions whereas a lot of CBs don't.

We're going to have to overpay on the OL in FA. That's just the nature of FA. You may get some good deals on 2nd and 3rd tier guys, but not on topnotch starters like Scherff and Peat. You wouldn't be getting garbage from them. The FAs you get garbage from are the older, over-the-hill guys, or guys who had one great season and are trying to cash in on it, or maybe one of those 2nd or 3rd tier guys you thought you were getting a deal on.

I was against signing Trumaine Johnson. He hadn't been good in several seasons and was not good enough and too old imo to pay the kind of money that Mac paid him. Hopefully, Douglas is a lot smarter than Mac. I don't mind him handing out some big contracts, but I want to see production to match it, and don't want the contracts to hamstring the team down the road. That's one of the main reasons why I don't like signing FAs over the age of 27 of 28. While some players can play at a high level into their 30s, others cannot, and it's risky to pay a FA that's 29 or older big money. Their skills and desire can vanish overnight. One really has to do his due diligence and get to know the individual, and FA really doesn't allow for that, so you're rolling the dice. If I'm a GM, I'm only handing out big FA contracts to players under 28 or players like Scherff who have been consistently excellent and a Pro Bowler. Even then, look at what happened to Kalil.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. J-Raw24

My thoughts exactly. If Peters, Scherf, or Ngakoue are available at a decent price I'm all for it. There are a few other I can see as well. But I hope Douglas plays hard ball with it. We're already over paying Bell. But after cutting Winters, Tru, and a few others we should have decent cap space. I think we should resign Robbie at a wr2 salary, get Jenkins back, fill some depth. And then hopefully get some decent guards in here. Try to draft sone tackles and wr. Edge may suck again this year but if we keep going D we will never have a decent offense.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Winters is a no-brainer cut in my opinion. He's nowhere near worth 7.2M

Jonathan_Vilma, Peebag and J-Raw24 like this.