Question about Abraham

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jake, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

This about sums it up. Oddly the guy who put himself before the team in the playoffs gets more respect from the fans on this board than the guy who risked his career to play. All we hear is that he didn't play well enough.

2. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

I don't care to get into a debate but your statements appear as though there is no room for question. So you are saying that there has never been a guard as "small" as Mawae and that you "know" that he could not perform at the position in the NFL?

3. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Give me Mangold any day of the week.

Abraham was a situational pass rusher in the 3-4 under Groh. Predictably, as has been the case throughout his career, his lack of build for the position lead him to suffer a sports hernia.

Abraham simply does not have the body to hold up long term. He admitted in an interview that he would fall asleep during meetings and that he was a raging party animal. He went drunk driving in his Hummer and was luckily stopped before he killed someone.

He was always a major fraud, racking up big sack performances against terrible teams and then disappearing for weeks on end, mostly because he never took the time to develop any pass rush moves outside of "run around the tackle box and hope the coverage holds out." This year bears that out.

Abraham had a career year last year, sackswise, but look at the numbers...

3 sacks against Detroit, who picks first overall and could use a left tackle
    2 sacks against Kansas City, arguably a minor league franchise last season
    3 sacks against Oakland
    2 sacks against Tampa Bay

Of Abraham's 16 sacks, 8 came against teams choosing in the top 10 in this year's draft. In a 4 game stint against playoff pursuit teams (GNB, CAR, CHI, PHI) he had one sack. Against division opponents, he had one big performance and was otherwise, mostly, a nonfactor.

I think this guy has to have the softest sack numbers of any big time pass rusher in the league. Great move we made getting rid of him.

-X-

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That will always boggle my mind.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Love U NYJ fans that live in the world of coulda, woulda, shoulda. Some day hopefully sooner then later U will learn that sports is either black or white. There is no in between U either a winner or a loser & sorry to say that for the last 40 years the NYJs are on the negative the side of the ledger. Just think in that time span the Steelers have won 6 SBs, The Niners & Boys 5 each & various other teams 3 each & we are still looking for our 2nd. You so realize that over the last 40 years we are in the same exact same ranking as the Lions, Chargers, Cards who also have won zippo in the last 40 years.

While you are at it why not rate for us since U seem to love coulda, woulda, shoulda so much the best of the worst of the last 9 losing teams under dear old Mr. PSL Woody

6. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Not sure what the attitude is about....

I was just offering my opinion, but you do raise a good point. Mawae could probably play guard in a zone blocking scheme, but I believe would have struggled as a guard in a straight-ahead run-blocking scheme like the Jets had/have.

7. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Abe seemed to disappear when we needed his presence the most. Anyone remember that he played like 1 down before removing himself against the Raiders in the playoffs? The knee injury when he held himself out so he would not ruin his career? I guess you can group him in with Santana Moss. Both highly talented players when 100% healthy but both are rarely at that point.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Three times in the playoffs with Abraham, five games, I think he played in the two games in 2002-03. Sat out the 2001-02 Raider game and both 2004-05 games.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't discriminate. I hate them both equally.

10. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

I guess I got emotional--there's a few guys that make this happen: Mawae and J-Mil come immediately to mind :beer:

11. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Abraham was a malcontent. Wouldn't play through injuries, held out of camp one year.

He wasn't worth keeping because he was not as good as an OLB, as he was as a defensive end.

Both sides made out pretty well with this trade.

12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

No worries.

13. JohnnySample

JohnnySample New Member

Abraham

I always suspected that Abraham was traded because Woody was uncomfortable committing big money for a new contract. Steming from the 2002 playoff game against Oakland where Abraham showed up so hung over that he spent the game throwing up on the sidelines.

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I wouldn't mind if we selected a pass rusher in the first. A DE or a LB. WR or QB in the second. If we go QB in second, then WR in the 3rd for sure. Not sure about a QB in the 3rd though. then a few OL Depth.

Abraham was awesome and we should have never traded him. He could have been the anchor of our D.

15. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Yhe trade wasn't good. Mangini like any bad coach walked into a situation and did his best to get rid of anyone associated with the past regime... hes doing the same thing in Cleveland

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Considering we needed to trim the salary cap and got Mangold out of the deal I'd say it was a pretty good trade.

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I never knew he was HO. I thought it was Stomach flu or the like ailment. IMO, if true, it makes what he did even worse than if he was legitimately sick.

18. ........

........ Trolls

What QB is worth a pick in the 2nd? I can't think of any, other than if a team decides to grab Pat White and try to convert him.

I don't want to go pass rusher in the first, but a DE would work if we can trade down and have faith in Gilbert. I'd prefer to grab an offensive playmaker in the first, but it's all about evaluating value against need. The problem is, I doubt we find a WR or QB worth our 2nd. I don't particularly want to draft a QB either way, but I wouldn't mind going RB, DE/ILB/CB on value in 2nd, WR (Louis Murphy) in the 3rd. Given the depth at RB available in the 2nd, we might be better off grabbing a CB in the first round since the value will be there, and going with Shonn Greene in the 2nd and Murphy in the 3rd. Only problem there is that we don't address our DE problems until later in the draft.

A trade down just looks better and better. Hopefully we can find a partner.