QB's In The Draft...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by mezzavo, Apr 2, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No disrespect, but this is totally reaching right now. He has no issues what-so-ever with his throwing motion. It's compact, fluid with a quick release. Are we really going to talk about "rigid torso" as being a reason why a QB will fail? The art of throwing the football, this specifically it absolutely fixable and repetition / practice is required.

If my prospect's main issue is a "rigid torso", then sign me up. I guess it's far more serious then taking snaps under center and that specific art. His footwork needs to be improved, and so does his decision-making under pressure. Even though in 2015 he had a 16TD to 1 INT rate when blitzed.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I know Cook is a relative of yours or wish he was but let's chillax a bit and not have a fabricated arguments. I've NEVER once in ANY post said that Cook will fail for any reason. I actually think Cook has one of the highest floors of all the QBs in the draft. I just said the article did a good job explaining an issue I noticed for some time about his mechanics but had a hard time putting into words. The referenced rigidness does explain some of those WTF erratic misses that Cook is good for every once in a while. Just so we are clear, my take on Cook as it relates to the Jets are as follows:

1. As discussed I'm not a fan of his robotic/"rigid" mechanics in his upper body.
    2. He is too inaccurate which is probably tied to item 1.
    3. I do not believe he should be drafted in the first round.
    4. I don't think he is good fit for our current scheme. There are other QBs in this draft that are better fits.

3. 101GangGreen101

I said that because every-time this topic comes up it's always negative. I think we are really looking past some of the positive aspects that he brings to the table. I think if you have a hard time putting it into words, I think you are reaching. Normally, you guys are pretty good at expressing these specific issues. Cook's game isn't pretty by any means, but within his ugly game there are a lot of positives that I see.

I am more concerned with his lower body mechanics. His footwork is mediocre [but improving] and the lower-hip movement isn't there, so he's throwing with all arm and no lower body. He's not planting his legs prior to the throw. It's like watching the opposite of Tom Brady, but Brady perfected this art and that's why he's always accurate. The footwork was awful at one point but I saw improvement his senior year. These things are fixable, coach-able, it's a physical fundamental roadblock. His football IQ is right up there with the best.

I think he fits our current scheme fine. He will take advantage of the big receivers and he has the arm to throw down-field accurately to Devin Smith. He has a quick release for the screen game as well. He needs to improve, but I like the foundation he has right now, he needs to build on it. There are other players I would take at 20, but I would consider him in RD1. I would much prefer to get him in RD 2, but I don't think he will last that long. Specifically Jack Conklin and Darren Lee are higher on my draft board if I were to make one.

4. legler82

You are confusing me with Stokes. I've never been negative about Cook unless you count making fun of your obsession with him. When it comes me and Cook, it comes down to preference. For one I'm always more partial to the more athletic/mobile QBs as you could probably tell by my obsessions with Mariota last year and Wentz this year. I think the pocket QB, which I believe Cook is one, is slowly becoming and endangered species. Also whether you think it's BS or not, I don't like how mechanical his upper body is when throwing the ball. I do agree with the article that this rigidness contributes to his inaccuracy at times. Lastly, while cook has a high floor, I don't see much upside. I can get solid from veteran journeymen; I rather gamble for exceptional. All these are a matter of taste, there's nothing really to argue. Cook is just not my cup of tea. If we drafted Cook anywhere outside of the 1st round I wouldn't be calling for Mac's job or anything.

5. 101GangGreen101

Having any sort of debate with him is a complete waste of time; I did generalize and stereotype you, but I won't do that again. Glad that you formulated your own opinion and you expanded on it. That's all I ask. I am not trying to win anyone over with the prospects I like.

I don't think I have an obsession or whatever, I just see a player that will win you games, and brings a lot of good positive traits to the table. I see a player that is similar to Carson Palmer [w/out the great mechanics] / Andy Dalton, but I see a player in Cook that has an "IT" factor in addition. I think if Cook fixes his fundamental issues in terms of mechanics, his ceiling will rise. He's not an elite QB prospect like Mariota or Wentz, but he's a winner that can win you some ugly games when things aren't going the way you want them to. I think that's exactly the type of QB the Jets need right now.

I see that you prefer a QB that has duel threat ability, but how many of them stay healthy? I like a QB that can do that as well, I just don't see all that much success right now. The pocket passer is an endangered species indeed, and I prefer my QBs to have a solid foundation in terms of knowing the fundamentals and having that established floor. From there, the QB works on the inconsistencies and becomes a better player. He could very well be a journeyman.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Not enough to be a top 50 pick. some team will prob pick him in the second tho. The most important games to look at are vs the toughest competition on the schedule. He wasn't good. He can make nice throws but he stares down his targets and premeditates his throws. He definitely is not NFL ready yet and I don't think he will be a franchise QB in the future. I'd rather draft starters in the top rounds than a backup QB.

7. legler82

I gravitate towards the more athletic QBs but they do not necessarily need to be dual threats. They just need to have great feet and some escapability. I value those traits and anticipation more than I do arm strength. The guys I like in draft that meet those criteria and the intangibles are Wentz, Brissett and Driskel on Day 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

8. 101GangGreen101

Which game specifically? Are you talking about the Alabama game where he shouldn't have played at all? The game logs don't tell me anything about Cook the prospect. If I judged him by those logs, I wouldn't like him either. The guy pretty much carried MSU this year, their line was injured, no real running game because Langford left the year before. A lot of tapes against really good opponents, Cook makes some excellent play down the field.

He definitely doesn't premeditate his throws, in every film you watch he's always moving his head, using his eyes. That certainly is incorrect and he makes full use out of the #1 target.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

101, not arguing your Cook love (though he's not my cup of tea) but truth be told, Michigan State had that game lost until Michigan's punter handed it to them on the last play.

10. 101GangGreen101

I agree you are correct in terms of that game. I thought Michigan had a great game-plan defensively, but man MSU did themselves no favors especially in that 3rd quarter when MSU was down 20-14. Went down the field only to drop 2 crucial passes including 1 on 4th down.

That was a really good game though as I re-watched it yesterday at work. One of the worst games in terms of special teams though, made me almost appreciate the Jets special teams.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Oregon, Michigan, Iowa, Alabama his four toughest opponents last year

all of those games are here
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/connor-cook/

3TD/4INT and lucky it wasn't worse. he is eye blasting his target every throw and almost all of them are premeditated. Not to mention all the throws where he airballs it or throws it into the dirt. Same deal in bowl games, more INT's than TD's. He didn't rise to the competition, it exposed him.

12. 101GangGreen101

I'm well aware of those links already.

I already said the Alabama game he was injured and doesn't show what he does on the field. That also applies to the Iowa game, where he was pulled due to injury You are arguing now for the sake of arguing because he does not premeditate his throws, you watch those clips and observe his head moving from 1 side of the field to the other. That is not on any scouting report and it's not on any video. What he does is read the defense, detect 1 on 1 match-ups and looks to take advantage of them, that is not premeditating his throws.

Stanford game he played very well, the Baylor game he had hiccups but led his team down the field with the game on the line and threw the game winning TD. Me thinks you are picking bad games from the game-log.

You don't throw 16 TDs to 1 INT against the blitz in 2015, if you are just throwing into the dirt or air or whatever you are referring to. I am going to move on from this debate because this is what I was referring to before.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

His head movement is on par with Frankenstein. He barely throws anywhere except his first read and when he does it mostly results in something bad like a wild incompletion or a sack. But sure lets just throw out all his career bowl games and tough opponents of the last few years I'm sure he was injured the whole time. Probably had a stiff neck.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#174 74, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. Love Paxton Lynch. Not only does he have skills that translate very well to the NFL(Namely his unbelievable pocket mobility for his size) but he's also a great leader with alittle swagger. There are more accurate QBs..but he is adequate.He has rocket level arm strength & is tough.There aren't alot of natural fits at QB for this team on a year to year basis...I sincerely think Lynch IS a fit.

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

lmao ok dude.

17. 101GangGreen101

Did I throw out his career bowl games? I just mentioned them in the previous post. This is literally the sake of arguing bud. Like I said before you don't have a 16:1 TD INT ratio against the blitz in 2015 and win the most games in your program if you are playing as badly as you mentioned.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I love the mind games Mac is playing with other teams by visiting QBs we dont have a chance at drafting.Unless Fitz isn't on the roster before the draft I don't see us drafting a QB unless someone falls to us that we didnt expect to be there.If we do draft a QB with a higher pick that tells me the staff doesn't see Petty as a potential answer at the position.

elgoman likes this.
  19. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am surprised so few talk about Vernon Adams as a late round pick

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

So I have to ask...now that the "Lambs" have traded into the top spot...can anyone see us going for Lynch at 20?

An awful lot of scouts and talking heads have him as the most pro-ready with a decent ceiling. Honestly, I've never seen him play...thoughts?