QB's In The Draft...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by mezzavo, Apr 2, 2016.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I was responding to a post about Petty.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

My bad, I thought you were talking about Geno. Aside from the fourth rounder part, your post applies to Geno pretty well. :)

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. It has nothing to do with "owing" Petty anything. They owe it to themselves to find out what he can do. I don't think Mac would have traded up to get Petty if he didn't think he had a real shot at being their QB of the future. We know Geno isn't the QB of the future. If the Jets sign Hoyer or McCown to start and he goes down with a serious injury, unless Petty is just not ready to play, then imo he should get the starting nod over Geno.

What's with this crap?

That's utter BS. You don't trade up for a player if you don't expect him to make the roster and contribute. That statement makes zero sense imo.

4. legler82

"Make the a roster and contribute..." is a completely different expectation of a 4th round QB whether you traded up for him or not than "...being [the] QB of the future". The former is reasonable while the latter "makes zero sense".

5. NCJetsfan

I didn't say he was "expected" to be the QB of the future, just that he had a real shot at it. Your writing him off just because he didn't play in a pro offense in college is flat out stupid.

6. legler82

First off at no point did I mention anything about a pro offense in college. Second, I'm not writing him of; I'm just not depending on him to be anything more than a back-up. Thus, I wouldn't factor him in my plans for solidifying the future of the position. If he surprises, then that's gravy.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A 4th round pick is a backup. Once in a blue moon he's a starter. Very rarely is he somebody the team views as a starter in waiting.

It's all on Petty at this point. The Jets aren't assuming he'll start. He has to come into camp kicking ass and taking numbers and show them that he's the guy.

Chad was a 1st round pick who sat and sat and sat. Why? Because he wasn't creating the reality that he was the guy, even as a 1st round pick. Then Vinny lost the job with a poor start and Chad came in and took over and never looked back.

That's as a 1st round pick.

Petty can sit on the depth chart for 3 or 4 years without ever getting a real shot because it's not up to the Jets to give him the shot. It's up to him to make it clear that they have no choice but to give him the shot. That or for everybody in front of him to fall down on the job and leave them no choice but to put him in. At which point he's got to be ready to go or he'll get Greg McElroyed in a hurry.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wonder if Petty will show more promise then Kellen Clemens ... you guys remember that Ravens game a while back where Clemens was beasting then Justin McCareins dropped that pass? Maybe Petty will surpass Brett Ratliff as the most popular Jets backup?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Matt Robinson was the most popular Jets backup by a mile. After that I'm not sure who you'd go with.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You got Ray Lucas, and Quincy Carter, those 2 fans I think really liked while they were here. Carter got us into the playoffs before having a relapse. Damn shame about Quincy because he played well when Pennington was out.

Petty right now, is in the 3rd string HOF with Brett Ratliff that's for sure. A lot of love for a guy that is completely unproven IMO.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Pat O'Brien.

Btw, Brett Ratliff to David Clowney was the Greatest Preseason Hall of Fame tandem ever.

_

12. Beki

Beki Active Member

Rich Cimini
    The Jets are expected to have a four-man contingent today at Paxton Lynch's pro day, including GM Mike Maccagnan. Also scheduled to attend are QB coach Kevin Patullo, director of college scouting Rex Hogan and regional scout Dom Green, according to a list of expected NFL reps. No other team will have as many as four at the Memphis pro day, per the list.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There are still people who say we need to find out what we have in Geno. Like we haven't figured that out yet.

14. NCJetsfan

I think you meant Pat Ryan, not O'Brien

#94 NCJetsfan, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    matt robinson 17 and Attackett like this.
  15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Pat O'Brien from CBS throws a mean whiffle ball

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. JStokes

D'oh!!

:oops:

_

17. legler82

Lynch's WRs are not doing him any favors on his Pro Day.

18. NCJetsfan

Easy mistake to make. Sounds alike and he backed up Kenny O'Brien for a few years I believe.

19. JStokes

No, of course. I was a huge O'Brien fan, couldn't stand when Ryan played--not because he wasn't any good--he was--but I wanted Kenny in there.

_

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

You just confused the Jet b/u with the New Orleans bar.. common mistake since most Jet QB's play like they've spent too much time in the bar. ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.