QB's in the Draft, Best fit for the Jets. (POST COMBINE)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Colintes, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Which QB should the Jets draft?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2013.
  1. Round 1 (9): Geno Smith

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Round 2: Matt Barkley

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Round 2-3: EJ Manuel

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Round 2-3: Tyler Bray

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Round 2-4: Ryan Nassib

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. Round 2-4: Mike Glennon

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Round 3-5: Matt Scott

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Round 3-5: Zac Dysert

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Others

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. Don't draft a QB.

18 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. 518

518 Member

If EJ Manuel is there in the 2nd round, we should take him hands down. The guy does not turn the ball over, has great speed to extend plays and get away from the pass rush and is ACCURATE. I just heard two interviews with him on Sirius NFL Radio and I love the way he comes off. He has something to prove because he feels he is not getting the consideration the other QB's are getting. I think this guy is the diamond in the rough for sure.

2. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I was literally about to post the exact same thing here. I think the dude will be a solid starter in this league.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

None. THE JETS ARE NOT ADRESSING QB in the draft.

It was in today's news, 2 FA and the three Gus on the roster not named Tebow will go to camp.

4. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

At the end of the day I wouldnt want the Jets to draft any passer

The short list of guys I would consider would be Nassib, Barkley, Bray and Manuel

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Could be a smokescreen. The fact that they are saying that makes me lean a bit towards they're drafting a QB. Saying nothing would be less of a smokescreen.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Foolish IMO.

Like Brad said, could very well be a smokescreen.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You're right about the three systems, though it's with Holgorsen that his draft stock went from middle rounds to top 10. And his was the last two.

His body language sucked, it looked like he was sulking down the stretch when his team was struggling (against the better defenses they played). He had Bailey and Austin in a conference where every player put up big numbers. Those were two very good receivers.

There were times early in the season where his footwork looked like Tom Brady. He studied Brady's footwork, and when he was in rhythm, he looked great. But he seemed like a front runner at quarterback. Things go well, he looks great. Things go poorly, he reverts to bad habits. He struggles when he goes to his later reads from what I've seen.

That offense was built on a lot of YAC and short passes. Not saying he didn't throw deep, and I've seen him throw nice deep balls, but a lot of it is throwing short passes and trying to let Austin or Bailey make plays on the run.

My friends who are WVU fans are unanimous in saying they wouldn't want him as their NFL quarterback. That's far from the best gauge obviously, and the defense was so bad it put that offense in tougher positions, but it's still telling that nobody would want him on the next level.

He has ability, but he's a big risk at the 9th pick in the draft. If I take him, I'll root for him, I just am not sold on him handling adversity and being consistent enough to win. I wouldn't hate the pick because we need a young quarterback, and you can't just say, 'Get Bridgewater next season.'

There are tools there. He's got solid mobility, a quick release, he seems to work hard. We badly need a quarterback. I liked him early in the year, but he really disappointed me late in the year.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yep. Never trust anything this time of year. Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Chad Pennington can attest to that.

If Geno is there at 9, he could be a Jet. Just hope they don't trade up for him.

9. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

I think this should happen...and will happen.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't want to reach for a QB this season. We can sign a solid veteran to compete with Sanchez and let the chips fall where they fall.
    The offense needs improvement no matte who is under center,lets just work on putting together some solid playmakers on offense and worry about the QB position next season.

11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Others- Tyler Wilson. I have a good feeling about him, its just his concussion past that may be weary.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Nice, fair write up. I agree with a lot of it. During the end of the season he said that he put too much on his plate and was asked to do too much, which is somewhat understandable, but doesnt entirely excuse his play. If he didnt have the "collapse" at the end of the season, we probably wouldnt be discussing this because he would be the #1 pick.

At times he looks great, like you said, and other times he fundamentally broke down. Still with some boneheaded mistakes and fundamentals breaking down occasionally, he still only had 6 picks which means those boneheaded mistakes arent happening too often. I understand some of the concern with him... But he's still a top 15 player in the class and presents value at 9. He has the tools to to be a very good QB (most importantly it seems like he has the intangibles). He is described as a film junkie and is always wanting to get better.

Our best option might be letting him develop for half of the year or the entire year instead of throwing him into the fire, especially if the offense as a whole hasnt gotten better. He has his question marks, like most QBs, but one thing we (along with almost everyone) can agree on is that the Jets need a franchise QB. Until they have one, we are screwed. You have to keep trying until you get it right.

Also a player like EJ Manuel in the 3rd would be a solid choice to develop. He has all of the tools and can be groomed if by the right teacher. As I said earlier in this thread, recent history tells us that if you draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and he shows some signs during his time on the field, you can at least get what you put in through a trade, or potentially have your guy. Ryan Nassib is another guy that is a good fit in our system and has been working with our QB coach Davis Lee.

Good article on EJ here-

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/27/the-kaepernick-project-fsu-qb-e-j-manuel/

Another on Geno here-

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

Nassib here-

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/28/boiler-room-syracuse-qb-ryan-nassib/

If you like reading about football, I recommend them to everyone.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Look at college games from Sanchez. You would be hard-pressed to not be impressed. I'm not saying Geno Smith will suck like Sanchez of course, but make no mistake about it - Geno Smith is not the prospect that Sanchez was.

Overall, I am just not impressed by any of the QBs in this draft. If I could have it my way, I'd try to find a Chad Pennington type of QB (accurate, smart, commanding the hurdle.) than anything. Especially not those with big cannon of an arm. That alone does not make a QB.

---------------------------------------------

Last, but not the least: if a steaming pile of horseshit that is Michael Vick can turn into a serviceable QB under MM's guidance, it is prudent thing to see what he can do with Nacho - Jets can afford this luxury because they are not contending next year without offensive output anyway. If Jets burn #9 on Smith then Nacho has a half-semblance of NFL starting calibre QB, that means Jets wasted a good high round pick on a QB they will not start any time soon. (Or they will have to cut Nacho even when he is serviceable.) It is this possibility (along with such a lackluster and unimpressive crop of QBs this year) that makes me think it is a bad idea to draft a QB this year.

#53 Zach, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno Smith is a Chad-lite prospect. He's accurate and careful with the football. He's well-spoken and his vocabulary is a lot better than the average football player. I'm not sure where his Wonderlic is going to come in but he's very careful to present himself as a thoughtful person and I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a decent score alongside that.

He majored in English Lit not Communications and he's a gifted artist, drawing and writing poetry - both activities that he started before high school. In other words, he's creative.

I think he'd be a great value later in the 1st round. His physical talents and discipline are clear and he has that spark also that tells you he's thinking about the bigger picture all the time.

BTW, when asked about his ability to run the football and why he doesn't take off more often he said something really interesting. He said that running the football was always an option but that the offense he played in at WVU was predicated on the QB being in the backfield most of the time. He said running was an option reserved for when it was necessary. That's good stuff right there.

#54 Br4d, Mar 2, 2013
  15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I would love to get another chad pennington, especially if version 2 isnt made of twinkie.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have a hard time getting excited about any of the QBs in this draft. But I do expect the Jets to draft a QB in rounds 2-4. Then consider drafting one next year. The problem with even drafting a QB in rounds 2-4 this year is with such a limited supply there will be a run on them and the Jets may have to trade up to the end of the 1st round to get who they want which is not a very appealing scenario. The end result might be taking a flyer on a guy like Dysert in the 4th round and then look for a franchise QB in 2014.

I like this mock for 2014 as a much better scenario.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

As bad as Sanchez is I am much more concerned about replacing Moore at guard and rebuilding the line before worrying about the long term QB. Possibly losing both Moore and Slauson next year is huge. This could be a huge drop off for us. Moore is very good (PFF grading him out as the 4th best guard in football last year) and we might end up seeing a Woody like dropoff.

#56 Noam, Mar 2, 2013
  17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well said Bradway. I didnt really know about him being an artist and poet which is pretty interesting for a football player. I think Geno does have the arm talent though. He doesnt have a noddle arm, he just doesnt have an elite one.

Like you said, his value may be in the 15-25 range, but in this draft, the talent level for players between about 7 and 25 is strikingly similar. Thats the thing about this draft. Thats why you may see a guard(s) taken higher than normal. "Reaching" on a player is going to happen in this draft. Simply because Geno is a QB, that bumps up his value also... At 9 it may be a reach in some's eyes and in other's it may be a steal. If he turns into a franchise QB, then its a steal.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You must have missed what I was trying to say:

Whether Geno Smith is a good prospect or not (I wasn't really impressed but that's me.) drafting him at #9 is a mistake, in my opinion. If Jets are picking up Renfree for 6th or 7th, I would like that option a lot more than drafting Geno Smith at 1st.

Regardless of the calibre of the player that is Geno Smith, if he's thrown in to the current state of this offense, he will suffer too - that's almost a given. That means, he will not be starting - right? That was the whole point. It would be better to draft the supporting cast around Sanchez first, and make sure he is an absolute shit - only then draft another QB. If Jets do burn 1st this year, but Sanchez somehow starts hitting passes after passes, up in that 60% bar, along with handful of TD passes while minimizing the turnovers (a la Vick - which means, it is not in the realm of impossibility.) then that means Jets have wasted #9 pick for the sheer fear of Sanchez being an absolute shit regardless of the system. You don't want to be in that situation - that 1st round pick could have been someone else that could help the team immediately.

Moreover, since we all know the offense is a steaming pile of horse shit, Sanchez sucking one more season shouldn't surprise anyone, should that happen. Once that happens, then it would be clear that his days are numbered.

-------------------------------------------------------------

In short, while I agree that, Jets might do well to draft the next QB, I think it is a prudent thing to first and foremost check that Sanchez is indeed a lost cause. We all have been crowing over the bad OCs, bad supporting cast and all sorts of bullshits ad nauseum - and he finally got a good OC. Now Sanchez does not get any more excuses - after all, Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano do not strike fear into your heart, let alone savvy defensive coordinators. First we should all see what he can do in the scheme change. If he still plays like a dumbass that he is (which is also a possibility) then Jets can cut his ass with mitigated hit next season too - which is a bonus.

19. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I like Manuel as a prospect, or even Bray, but as projects. They won't be coming in and starting right away like the top tier guys in year's pasts. As a project, I think both of them have the tools to be very good, but it's mostly mental aspects that hold them back, and some mechanical tweaks as well.

If we pick them, let them sit for a year, we could have a QB with very good tools that have had the opportunity to improve on their weaknesses and get acclimated to the NFL. And since they are talented, and acclimated to the NFL more, they'd still retain trade value of a 2-3 rd pick anyway, unless they get hurt or just fall apart.

And this way, Sanchez would still be our QB for next year, thus giving him his final shot (not that I want to see it, mind you) and if we are end up in a top 3 spot in the draft, great. If not, we still have a young QB with some kind of upside with strong arms atleast.

Also, I'm not sold on just waiting for guys this year or next year. Andrew Luck went back when he was probably going to be the No. 1 Qb. Peyton Manning stayed in school. Heck, Brian Brohm stayed in school as well, and it backfired for him. Not saying it's a lock that Bridgewater or Manziel keep up their status of right now AND come out next year. We'd have to hope that both end up being studs, while we are terrible enough to get a top 3 pick with a team that has a coach fighting for his job, and a newly appointed GM who wants to make his mark by a quick turn around.

I think if we just wait it out, and pick whoever falls to our 3rd, we'd be in good shape. Can go BPA at 9, BPA offense in the second, and QB in the third.